• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Completely Unauthorised Random Thread #8

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Google discover looked like more mind killing algorithm advertising. But I defo agree with you on Christmas decorations. I look forward to when the PC brigade get 'round to cancelling it.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
So does the Christian Right. They love hostility toward CHRISTmas more than anyone and made such profits that they started selling "pro-Easter" merch for greater profits though there was no "war on Easter" (until they started it themselves)

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Google discover looked like more mind killing algorithm advertising.
I think that's about the furthest from it. It's like my little personal 'news' assistant always saying "Hey, here's a new article about SMG" or "Did you see this YouTube video with Jay and Silent Bob eating hot wings?"

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
Google discover looked like more mind killing algorithm advertising. But I defo agree with you on Christmas decorations. I look forward to when the PC brigade get 'round to cancelling it.
Never in my house will it ever get cancelled! :p

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
There is a shop in town that has loads of Christmas decorations and has had for over two months now. And good luck to them.

• Love
Reactions: Nix

nightshade

I am a phoenix
Staff member
Black Thorn
We used to have a year round Christmas shop, closed down now, but used to sell Christmas items only and was open all the time, lasted a few years.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I'm REALLY not happy about these "planned" power outages. A lot of the Bay area has NO power, and now they're saying that parts of Los Angeles are next. But we don't know WHERE yet. Plus, these outages may last for days. Allegedly, it's a preemptive "solution" to combat wildfires or something. I call bullshit. What the hell is really going on here?! Its really suspicious. Cutting power to hundreds of thousands of people is beyond ridiculous.

I don't want to spend money on a generator and I DON'T want to be in the dark for days...

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
They say it's to keep people from dying in wildfires, but considering how many people are at home on medical devices requiring power where healthcare is not a right, and 911 isn't going to be an option for many, I wonder how many will die that way.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I'd have to go to Home Depot. The closest Walmart is soooooo far away. And I don't want a gasoline powered one. I chain smoke and I don't want to blow up or something.

They'd better not shut off the power. That's so STUPID.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I'd have to go to Home Depot. The closest Walmart is soooooo far away. And I don't want a gasoline powered one. I chain smoke and I don't want to blow up or something.

They'd better not shut off the power. That's so STUPID.
Not gas powered? What are you gonna use windmills? Do you live near a stream? Maybe put solar panels on yer patio? Hamster wheels? :D

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The Slayers house is battery powered.

Want to know where Anya Bunny Slayer lives, look for the house with 3000 big batteries in the yard.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
A lot of people get generators from Home Depot because you can return them for a full refund after the blackout is over. California is changing to insulated wire to keep from getting short circuits when trees blow down. They are doing 150 miles per year. Only 26,850 miles to go. There is a caveat - they aren’t allowed to set their own rates, and that affects how much maintenance or improvement work they can do. This isn’t a cheap state to work in, for all sorts of reasons, some of them natural (transmission lines through forests tend to happen in areas that are too mountainous for agriculture or housing).

But this isn't the full reason.

Their lack of maintenance is more due to the "deregulation" that happened in the 1990s. Under deregulation, most of the state's utilities no longer own their transmission lines. Ownership and responsibilities were taken over by the CAISO (CAlifornia Independent System Operator). Under the CAISO, all costs are spread over the entire state's customer base. As a SoCalEdison customer, why would you be willing to pay for PG&E infrastructure? So, it's a constant battle the CAISO doesn't seem to want to touch. Instead, they come up with stupid band-aids like "Flex day" ("ooh, dear customer, please cut your usage") and now these pre-emptive blackouts.

Before deregulation, all utilities were independent, vertically integrated, regional monopolies. That is they owned, operated, and were responsible for generation, distribution lines, and transmission lines. In exchange for these monopolies, they were subject to an "obligation to serve" and could face severe fines for unplanned outages. The CAISO, however is under no such obligation.

As for their hands being tied when setting rates (before deregulation), it wasn't really THAT difficult. Investor Owned Utilities were regulated by the Ca Public Utilities Commission. The CPUC was supposed to fend for the ratepayers but all you had to do was come up the a good rate case, add 10% profit margin and your new rates were generally approved unless some REAL ratepayer advocate groups intervened.

How do I know this? Beacause I am Canadian.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
What is the correct Generator voltage/ wattage output for a house?
Which item in the house takes most power?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
What is the correct Generator voltage/ wattage output for a house?
Which item in the house takes most power?
I don't know about power where you are but in the US and Canada, we use 60 Hz split 240 VAC so you have a ground and 120 VAC of opposite polarity on either side of it so some items like an oven, a stove top or a house air conditioner may be strung across the 240 VAC line. Most people power 120 VAC appliances only but you have to be aware that something like a refrigerator may run at 1000 watts but the compressor will start at higher wattage. I would specify a minimum of 3000 watts for a generator to power the whole house and even then, you should restrict the wattage drain. External power MUST be switched off when the generator is being operated or you have power coming in at a random phase with respect to each other resulting in instant burnout of the generator. The generator will have a circuit breaker but is will probably not work fast enough to protect the generator if external power comes back on.

The highest wattage items would be the oven, the stove top elements, house air conditioning, room air conditioning, the furnace circulating fan and vacuum cleaners. Anything with an electric motor (like a refrigerator) would start at a multiple of several times its running wattage and the generator has to be able to supply it. The power factor is important too - if your voltage and current consumption are out of phase (either lagging or leading), you have to supply the maximum current even though the voltage times current (wattage) may indicate the current should be lower.

Top Bottom