• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Death of Dawn

thrasherpix

Scooby
My understanding that when Dawn was dying in the comics that people were forgetting her. This actually makes sense as when many spells (or wishes, curses, etc) unravel, then reality "snaps back" (like a pulled rubber band suddenly let go) as if it never happened, and the memories fade. (Kinda curious how Adam would've perceived Dawn, too...perhaps it would've been like that one guy who described Dawn as "no data.")

Although I had my own impression that by sacrificing her own life, Buffy gave Dawn a true reality. That does seem to be how magic works, that magic messes with the balance of things but as long as there's balance then it's stable and can even become permanent.

But the comics seems to disagree. And if she's forgotten, then shouldn't reality itself also adjust? In that sense, is everything about Dawn futile, that when she unravels (even if only by mortal death) then reality readjusts to where there was no Dawn (and the Gift never happened, at least not anything like it did happen)?

Granted, the comics seem to contradict the series, but just in case it was ever addressed, then I'd like to hear of it.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Wow I think that's a really interesting idea, that when Dawn ceases to exist the memories of her will too. Also like the idea that Buffy's sacrifice gave her life to Dawn - also helps with the idea that things were unbalanced when Buffy returned.

:)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I always thought that if Dawn died, she would be like Johnathan in Superstar where the memories of what he was would fade away within days of the spell being lifted. It could have been very interesting if the last person to remember Dawn had not been Buffy. Maybe the clothes sized for 5'7" Dawn would be a confusing anomaly to 5'3" Buffy. Or maybe everything owned by Dawn would disappear just like she would. So who wold you pick to remember Dawn? Spike? Xander? Tara? Willow? Giles? Faith? Or maybe a demon like Clem?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd think it would all disappear...even the actions. I'm thinking of like when Giles smashed Anyanka's amulet and the reality snapped back before Cordelia's wish resumed (I've also been curious about all the other wishes Anyanka made before Cordelia...)

Granted, it doesn't always work that way. When Giles breaks the spells of Amy's mother or Willow turns the Amy Rat back into Amy, it's not as if it never happened....but at the same time, everyone retains their memories of the events.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if Buffy destroying the Seed of Wonder (which I know very little about, mind you) should've been like when Giles smashed Anyanka's amulet...their entire universe is destroyed as all magic is undone (and with it, no more vampires or demons or Slayers--as in never existed), that essentially...with the destruction of the Seed of Wonder, their world is instantly replaced by our world (as opposed to what happened in the comics). Heh. It's an entertaining thought anyway. o_O

Sternbeeere

Glory´s sane(?) groupie
I think that there is an indication that everything around Dawn is forgotten, not only Dawn herself. For example, when Buffy talks to Illyria about Glory, she calls her "the demon Glorificus, who sidebar, was around as long as you were", or something like that. In season 5 Quentin stresses the fact that Glory is not a demon, but a goddess, who is not from the Dimension Buffy is from. Thus she has nothing to do with Illyria, which in turns means, that information about Glory already has been confused as well, not only information about Dawn forgotten. Additionally, it was impossible to record or otherwise keep any information/memories about Dawn, as seen in Spikes attempt to record information about Dawn on a tape recorder. Therefore I think all clothes and things possessed by Dawn would likewise disappear. What I wonder is, what memories the scoobies would have after the process of Dawn disappearing would be complete. What would have happened instead of the season 5 arc and how would it affect the relationships between the scoobies. An other question is what would have happened to Glory, would she have been banished to an other dimension, never crossing Buffys dimension or would she have used the key in raw form and that is what the scoobies would have memories of for example.
I'd think it would all disappear...even the actions. I'm thinking of like when Giles smashed Anyanka's amulet and the reality snapped back before Cordelia's wish resumed (I've also been curious about all the other wishes Anyanka made before Cordelia...)

Granted, it doesn't always work that way. When Giles breaks the spells of Amy's mother or Willow turns the Amy Rat back into Amy, it's not as if it never happened....but at the same time, everyone retains their memories of the events.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if Buffy destroying the Seed of Wonder (which I know very little about, mind you) should've been like when Giles smashed Anyanka's amulet...their entire universe is destroyed as all magic is undone (and with it, no more vampires or demons or Slayers--as in never existed), that essentially...with the destruction of the Seed of Wonder, their world is instantly replaced by our world (as opposed to what happened in the comics). Heh. It's an entertaining thought anyway. o_O
It is entertaining. As far as I understand it, the Seed of Wonder is 1. the connection to all other dimensions, specially demon dimensions, which is closed after destruction and 2.the provider of further magic. However, the magic already brought to Buffys dimension remained at first, slowly fading away, with only a small part (Slayers and zompires remaining). Maybe at one point even that would vanish, since there would not be new slayers called and maybe all zombires destroyed with the help of humans and Buffy.

Top Bottom