1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The death of the Master

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by Antho, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Antho

Antho Scooby

Something I never understand in the show is why we see the Master's skeleton after him being killed ? When Vampires are killed, there is only dust !

2. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I always took it that because he was so old and had so much power, he's not a regular vampire, so he retains the skeleton....

3. Antho

Antho Scooby

Maybe you're right, it's possible. Althought I don't think the vampire age is so important, if i'm not wrong Giles says in season 3 that Kakistos is the oldest vampire and when Faith kills him, he doesn't retain the skeleton.

4. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    So I'm reading "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Myth, Metaphor, And Morality". It's an collection of essays that cover and dissect every episode of the show (and it's only a dollar on your Kindle). So once "When She Was Bad" came up, it brought up something about what went down, and why The Master's bones were the only vampire bones we've seen on the show. Buffy had just gone through some seriously traumatic stuff, largely due to the showdown with The Master. Throughout the episode, Buffy is moody and irritable, and at this point definitely showing some signs of PTSD. There's something gnawing at her emotionally and she needs to let it out in some way. After taking it out on everyone else, Buffy finally comes face to face with what remains of The Master, and literally and metaphorically smashes all ties to that traumatic event, by "grinding his bones to make her bread". :p So it's such a relief when she finally breaks down in Angel's arms, as her fears about moving on are gone. Joss said himself that he often sacrifices plot details when he's trying to get at an emotional truth, and overall, I enjoy and prefer his approach to storytelling.

5. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    The Order of Aurelius was trying to bring back the Master in When She Was Bad, so presumably, they knew that it was possible and was almost like a backup plan for when the Master dies. So perhaps maybe they had performed some ritual that would allow the Master's bones to be left behind? Other than that I like the idea that it was just a plot hole in order to deal with Buffy's emotions.

OccaQuokka and Fool for Buffy like this.
  6. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    The Master...baiter. :D

nxGangrel and Fuffy Baith like this.
  7. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

Old Heinrich seems to be a uniquely important Vampire, if the amount of Ancient Prophecy in Sumerian concerning him is seen as any indication. I mean, we never hear of Vampires returning to life, ever. Well, except Darla or Dracula, but those were clearly exceptional situations. I have to guess, that either by chance or by design, he discovered the means to preserve himself after death.

8. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Simple answer: plothole.