• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Devil in the White City

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
At first Scorsese and DiCaprio were going to make the film about it, but now, according to Variety they are turning it into a series (I am sure it's a limited series) on Hulu. Initially I was saddened by this, but thinking about it, really they might be able to give the scope and the room to really tell the story, versus glossing over things for the sake of a two-hour movie.

Holy cow am I excited. For those that do not know, it's the story of H.H. Holmes and his "murder castle" and how he killed women attending the World's Fair.

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don't know about this but the title did remind me that I want to catch up on Lucifer soon.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
HH Holmes' castle was one of the creepiest things ever made. His story is a scary one, but one I'd be willing to watch. Netflix had a documentary on him not too long ago.

I'm also a historian of all things Chicago, so I like to keep up on things like this.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I tried to read the book several years ago but couldn't get into it, this makes me want to give it another go.

Spanky

Black Thorn
I tried to read the book several years ago but couldn't get into it, this makes me want to give it another go.
A lot of the book was architectural. That surprised me. I assume with White City in the title, the show will lean heavily on its construction as well.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I think that's why I had trouble getting I to it, just expected something different.

Taake

Like A Bear
Staff member
Black Thorn
I loved Last Podcast On The Left's episodes on this, it was the first time I'd Heard of H.H. Holmes actually and it's obviously an interesting story, but I'm not terribly charmed by Leo DiCaprio and also… these serial killer movies / shows coming out are starting to make me feel weird. In the wake of this and Efron as Bundy, I've seen people lustily dream of Ezra Miller playing serial killer and rapist Richard Ramirez... it's becoming less about the horror of it all, and more… cool, dare I say, to be a serial killer?

I guess you could compare it to Hopkins as Lecter, or Dexter, but that was all fictional, these are based on real people so it's a bit extra unsettling. I might still watch (if its available to me), I just hope they don't take too much of a "look how coooool he is" route to it.

Spanky

Black Thorn
"look how coooool he is" route to it.
I think it will be just the opposite. I think he will be grim and ugly to juxtapose the bright and coooool city. OR at least that is how I see it in my mind. A little dark spot in an opulent world.

Taake
Taake
Well that sounds way better than what I imagined.
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Little dark spot set against the bright world fair

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Sorry, off topic.

I thought this was about the anti-Christ in the White house.

Taake

Like A Bear
Staff member
Black Thorn
Sorry, off topic.

I thought this was about the anti-Christ in the White house.
”People I don’t like is the anti-Christ”... an argument that remains popular after some 2000 years of use.

Taking this thread back on topic:
I’m more excited about this now after Spanky showed me some stuff about the White City, I was too focused on the HH Holmes of it all.

Spanky
Spanky
Wasn't it pretty much established that Nero was the antichrist of which they spoke?
thetopher
thetopher
Like the 'people I don't like are Hitler' argument. And the kinda meta argument 'Hitler is literally the Anti-Christ'...and so it goes. :)

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Sorry about that Taake, I think the term the anti-Christ is bloody stupid anyway, if the folk who believe in the bible had any sense they should say about the anti-God. But then that's me.

Back on track a bit who is HH Holmes?

Top Bottom