• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Extraordinarily Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priceless

Scooby
@Priceless - You are the Duchess of Cambridge and I claim my £5. It kinda explains why I've never seen both of you in the same place at the same time. 🤔

I bet the Duchess hasn't got her bosses on her tail demanding she take Daily Contact Tests so she can get back to work. Or if she has, hope she did what I have done and said my health is my personal responsibility and I will not be returning to work until my 7 days are over. Good day to you.

TriBel
TriBel
As far as I can tell, Johnson and Javid (sounds like a Comedy Club act) have set a precedent for saying it's "personal responsibility" so logic's in your corner.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
I am not having a good week, it feels like it's going to be one of those "if it's not one thing, it's another" sort of weeks.

Its one of those weeks for many of us. (Its been more like one of those months for me. Definitely a time of change...which is something I actually need)

Hey, get Disney+ so you can watch Loki. Its the BEST show on the channel...very amusing and lots of fun. 😁

Reactions: Nix

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
Yeah, but you're biased.

Well...not really. I LOVE the Winter Soldier, but won't hesitate to say how much his show sucked.

In other news, I've decided that I want to be a falconer; somewhere in Italy, Germany, or Cornwall. That seems like an interesting life.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Bunny Slippers new banner?

lEyAUacg_o.png

Priceless

Scooby
Why do Americans say/write 'get your hand off of me' and Brits would say/write 'get your hand off me'. Why the complication of off-of? Just something I've noticed. It might not even be an American thing, but it always stands out to me.

TriBel

Scooby
I should've said, Loki is the ONLY show on there that's worth watching.
I thought it got better with Ep4 - I thought the same with F&WS. My big problem with Loki is the acting. I thought Sebastian was consistently better on his show than Tom is on Loki.
In other news, I've decided that I want to be a falconer; somewhere in Italy, Germany, or Cornwall. That seems like an interesting life.
I agree. I've always fancied falconry since I read The Once and Future King.

Why do Americans say/write 'get your hand off of me' and Brits would say/write 'get your hand off me'. Why the complication of off-of? Just something I've noticed. It might not even be an American thing, but it always stands out to me.
I think it's an American thing that's probably creeping into British English. I googled and found this. "I believe we add the incorrect 'of' after many prepositions which can stand on their own. "He ditched the car outside [of] town." "The keys are inside [of] the gold box." We do this because we confuse using the word as a preposition and as a noun. "The outside of town is a lovely spot." "The inside of the box is lined with red flocking." I wonder whether it's to do with America being a (relatively recent compared to GB) melting pot of nationalities and it's related to grammatical structure of languages like Spanish, German, Dutch etc.? Maybe it loses/adds something in translation? That's my diplomatic response. 😏

Oh this is nice - though different example:
When I hear this 'of', it is usually pronounced [shwa]. For example, I might say 'Take your hands off o' me', but I would never say 'take your hands off of me'. This leads me to wonder whether this 'of' is not 'of' at all, but a relic of a second syllable in 'offe' - along the lines of 'Ye Olde Shoppe' etc - retained (or inserted) to avoid an awkward consonant cluster. If I am right then forms using 'off of' are hypercorrections of an original two-syllabled 'offe'.

The OED talks about the disyllabic offe: 'The form offe in early Middle English (at which period the spelling indicated a disyllable) appears to have final -e on the analogy of inne, adverb denoting rest within a place, originally contrasted with inn, adverb denoting motion towards a place.'

Because of this theory, I think that 'I can't take my eyes off o' you' is a charming form, redolent of centuries gone by, whereas 'I can't take my eyes off of you' is a highly irritating failed attempt to speak standard English.

Last edited:

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I am so tired! Guna be tired Monday too lol.... Football on school nights is a bad thing!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Disney's Esmeralda is actually of Indian heritage rather than black.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I never even considered this particular pairing before, but now I can't unsee it...or unship it; Cordelia Chase and Loki! It's absolutely adorable and not entirely unthinkable :D

Spanky
Spanky
ah. everyone keeps calling him gay

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I never even considered this particular pairing before, but now I can't unsee it...or unship it; Cordelia Chase and Loki! It's absolutely adorable and not entirely unthinkable :D

I think Loki would get easily bored of Cordelia. He wants all the attention and adoration, she not the type of person to fawn over somebody.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Isn't Loki homosexual now?

Puppet
Puppet
Bi. Or maybe pan. Either way, he's into both.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I think Loki would get easily bored of Cordelia. He wants all the attention and adoration, she not the type of person to fawn over somebody.
I see it differently, especially as it's the Cordelia who grew a bit on Angel. He would admire her strength and sass and the way she doesn't take bullshit from anyone, including the All-Father. Anyway, the way this author wrote it, just makes a lot of sense :)

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
In other news, I actually cooked today! Scrambled eggs with Spam and bacon....also fried potatoes with onions (with cubes of butter on top). No, I haven't eaten it yet. Its all in a large Tupperware container at the moment. I might stuff myself later. 🐷

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom