• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Final Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.13 Epitaph Two: Return

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the thirteenth and final episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Epitaph Two: Return - written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon & Andrew Chambliss and directed by David Solomon. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 13 (re)watch takes place between 18th December 2016 - 24th December 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this final episode thread is a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Thank you to everyone who has joined in with this (re)watch! :D

Epitaph Two: Return - S2E13
Synopsis​
In the year 2020, events finally come full-circle as Echo and the few surviving Dollhouse staff struggle to restore mankind after the devastating events seen in the first season episode, "Epitaph" that has turned 90% of Earth's population into mindless, kill-crazy zombies out to kill those not infected (called 'actuals') by the Rossum's remote mind-wipe system. In the meantime, fellow actuals, Mag, Zone, and the mind-restored Caroline set out to find the save haven that can save man-kind from total extinction.​

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Bit late with this one too!

Firstly, Anthony & Priya aren't together anymore?! And he's addicted to imprints? My heart is broken, but ok, I'll let the show have that, it's been a while. Priya is living an uncomplicated life with her son and Adelle on a farm in the middle of nowhere. I can see that for Priya, just wanting to get away from life in general. Turns out Anthony is now Victor and leading a gang of similarly addicted goons and they're the only ones who can get them back into the city, and into the Dollhouse.

Poor sweet Topher, they manage to rescue him from the facility where they're forcing him to work under horrendous conditions and killing people if he doesn't work fast enough. No wonder the guy is falling to pieces. I really feel for Topher, his descent into madness is both understandable and carefully portrayed. There's no cartoon madness going on, it feels real, human and relatable.

Priya eventually introduces her son to his father, who in no big surprise was Anthony (no paternity test required!) It was a little cliched, but again I feel like I need to let the show have that.

The main characters from Epitaph One pale into insignificance in this episode. It's basically a who's who of Dollhouse. We get Alpha (I don't understand how, or why, but we do and it's Alan Tudyk so I'll take it!), we even get a glimpse of Bennett on a video. Paul Ballard is killed early on, which was surprising and even Felicia Day gets injured which I didn't see coming.

Dollhouse as a show seems to have morphed from The Eliza Show into something that was willing to take more risk than most shows. I applaud it for that. It's gone from singular stories to a self contained story which has on the most part worked with a few filler episodes. That Topher had to die to save humanity was a fitting end for his character. I like they've ended the show by ending the show, rather than leaving it on some unfulfilled cliffhanger knowing they would never be able to resolve it. At the end, everyone deserved a little bit of happiness.

A-

white avenger

white avenger
The ending of the series was, to me, both beautiful and eerie. Only Joss could have come up with something like that.

I'vw always wondered if the series might have continued for another Season or more if there hadn't been so many objections raised about it focusing on, and some might say, even glorifying, what was in effect slavery and prostitution.

All in all, though, I think that Echo and Ballard were another of Joss' great couples, like Buffy and Angel, Buffy and Spike, or Willow and Tara.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I've not rewatched this yet, but I really do love Topher in this and it's so heartbreaking. Topher and Adele, especially season 2, are just so great. I don't like the Paul and Echo ending, but whatever. I'm just curious as to where Epitaph fits into the timeline of Epitaph 2. Like how did they get a hold of Topher? We knew Priya and Anthony weren't together but when did he become a techie? I need timelines! lol

All in all, though, I think that Echo and Ballard were another of Joss' great couples, like Buffy and Angel, Buffy and Spike, or Willow and Tara.
I cannot disagree with this more. For me, I think Sierra and Victor are one of my favorite TV couples ever. I hate Paul and Echo, makes no sense. But I love the idea that no matter how many times Sierra and Victor are wiped they always have a connection to each other.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
For me, I think Sierra and Victor are one of my favorite TV couples ever. I hate Paul and Echo, makes no sense. But I love the idea that no matter how many times Sierra and Victor are wiped they always have a connection to each other.
Completely agree. Vierra forever!

Black Thorn
I've not rewatched this yet, but I really do love Topher in this and it's so heartbreaking. Topher and Adele, especially season 2, are just so great. I don't like the Paul and Echo ending, but whatever. I'm just curious as to where Epitaph fits into the timeline of Epitaph 2. Like how did they get a hold of Topher? We knew Priya and Anthony weren't together but when did he become a techie? I need timelines! lol

I cannot disagree with this more. For me, I think Sierra and Victor are one of my favorite TV couples ever. I hate Paul and Echo, makes no sense. But I love the idea that no matter how many times Sierra and Victor are wiped they always have a connection to each other.
Agreed. Victor and Sierra are adorable and clearly have a very real love. Echo and Paul are gross and make my eyes bleed a lil.

Top Bottom