• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The future of Once More, with Podcast

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
So, some of you may have noticed the podcast has been conspicuously absent for about a year now. Some of you may not have noticed at all. In fact some might be all "what's a podcast?!" 😂

@Taake and I started the podcast (called Once More, with Podcast) in September 2016, we produced 24 episodes up until last June, on a variety of Whedonverse topics. We even met up in Sweden for a special live drunk episode on Beer Bad, something I'm still both incredibly proud of, and mortified how idiotic I can sound. Taake, of course, always sounds perfect (how does she do it?!)

The truth is, the podcast's not been mine or Taake's highest priority of late. I take full responsibility for the fact that I've had a lot to deal with over the last year, and I've simply struggled to cope with it all. And now I'm in a place where I can deal with it, but I don't have a great deal of free time and so we, along with @Buffy Summers, are trying to work out what we can do with it to help it continue and thrive.

So, we'd like to know what you, the members, actually want from it.

Do you still want a board podcast?
Have you ever downloaded/listened to it?
What would you like to change about it?
Would you be willing to be involved with it?

Your feedback is really important, because this could genuinely change how the podcast is produced, or even if it continues at all.

You can post your feedback below, or DM me if you prefer to give feedback in private.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think we should do a fundraiser so you can do another live episode!

On a more serious note, I have listened to the podcast, and think you do a good job. However I'm not someone that listens to podcasts often, so I'm more than happy to leave it up to you if you would like to continue it. If you do decide to continue and need ideas I'm more than happy to help come up with things.

How about having a guest on episodes, maybe coming up with a theme and someone can give their opinions on that?

Hunga Munga

Potential
I've listened to loads of your stuff ...still got a few to go . I've streamed it and downloaded it from more than one source .

Honestly if you aint feeling the vibe for it , take a break for a while . :)

I really enjoyed the informal side , drunken broadcasting etc :D . POTN was using this in his Bad Decisions stream for a while . I think there's a gap in the podosphere for lighthearted adult discussion of the Buffyverse . I think there's mileage in Buffy drinking games or similar informal approaches .

Getting the production tight was the only issue for me . There are a lot of very slick podcasts and Youtubers out there .

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Of course, I'm probably OMWP's biggest fan...
Have you ever downloaded/listened to it?

See above ☝
I would occasionally have other BBers make a short guest appearance, would add other POV's.
If I found the time then why not ?

vznspike

Townie
Please please please stay doing it.

I listen to it every morning, I love your insights into the different themes and you make me look at them from a different point of view.

Even though there's quite a few Buffy podcasts out there I find yours the best one, since you manage to be critical, funny, and objective, all the same time.

I love the character specials, most of the other podcasts talk episodes, I love that you talk characters individually.
Maybe ship appreciation episodes could be an idea? And just not the common ships, the little ones that could have been would be very interesting

Maybe a few more Overrated/Underrated episodes?

Also love the fact that you take the boards into account when doing your podcast (that's how I found out about the boards :cool:)

As to be involved in it, I'd be afraid to ruin it haha

All I can say is, if you do decide to keep going with it you will have a devoted fan

Yes for sure spike.gif

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
I love your podcast! To be honest, I love all podcasts, but I love yours especially! I agree with @vznspike about ship appreciation episodes. I really want the podcast to stay alive. If there is anything I can do to help, just ask.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
If y'all continued maybe you could have guest stars from the boards to talk about different topics. I have found that when people I know from Fandom are on podcasts (like the Sunnydale Fanfic Club) I found it so fun to actually hear them and even found that there was much more nuance to their Fandom positions when they were talking versus on the boards.

Best of luck in whatever y'all decide! :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I really enjoyed listening to the podcast. I did have some problems locating the new episodes on the board. I listen to a lot of podcasts, I think at this point, more time is spent on podcasts than on shows or movies. *eeks*, so I would love to continue listening to OMWP. It could be a good idea to bring in guests. I'd even be willing to volunteer my time(depending on my work schedule, plus I do live in Cali so there is a big time difference). There's still a lot in the Whedonverse left to cover, so I'd say continue. But if it's too much work, then I'd understand.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
I loved the podcast! I downloaded a few episodes a while back and really enjoyed listening to it. I'm an off-and-on podcast fan, usually ones involving shows I like and musicals get high priority. Bringing in guests would be really cool, although there are a lot of stateside board members and it would be a bit difficult because of time differences and stuff. I would love if you continued it though!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
"what's a podcast?!"
ME! Truthfully this was probably the only podcast I have ever listened to lol. I have only listened to a few episodes which puts you miles ahead of any other podcast in my life haha.

No. I can barely play the thing let alone record content for it, you clever baked cookies.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Let me see, what do I think? Which you may decipher as how the (expletive deleted) can you see a thought?

Personally I'm indifferent but many members appreciate the podcast, so for that reason you should keep it.

Have you ever downloaded/ listened to it?
No, though that is for the reason that I don't know how to.

I don't know what is in it or has been in it.

If I knew how would you really want me to?

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Pretty much what @HoppyHippy said above. Yours is the only Podcast I've ever listened to.....and you had to explain how to download them!

That said I really enjoyed the ones I managed to download, so would love to hear more.

As for taking part.....I'm happy to do what I can to provide ideas & such but actually recording stuff is way beyond my ken I'm afraid.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I'd listen if they were a lot shorter, more streamlined and/or edited. Don't want to listen to two birds cackling at their own jokes for the length of the podcast. It may appeal to others but to me it just seems a masturbatory indulgence. My AADD would always flare up the few times I tried to give it a go. But hey, that's just like my opinion, but since you asked...

Taake
Taake
I don't think you're our target audience, dear.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Hi. I have listened to a few episodes and I remember that I liked what I heard a lot, although details escape my memory (I admit it's been awhile).

My suggestion would be to get away from the routine that hundreds of Buffy podcasts suffer from, which is to give a review and discussion about each episode, one after the other. I like the idea much more of choosing a theme or topic that runs across many episodes and even seasons, and offering a detailed discussion on that. There is much more to offer in that direction and it doesn't seem like anyone else is doing it. You could compare the merits of different ships against each other, you could discuss the character growth of a character across multiple seasons, you could offer a comparison between different big bads, I mean it seems like there are literally thousands of topics you could cover in that style of format (you could cull more topics from BB threads too). I find all of the Buffy podcasts that just do an episode by episode analysis in sequence to be boring. Been there, done that.

I'm sorry if you do this already with your podcast, it has been awhile since I last heard it so I don't recall as vividly the structure of it. I do recall enjoying the chemistry the two of you have as well.

Spanky
Spanky
Maybe that was some of my issue too, and maybe that would have made the banter less conspicuous.
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Good ideas

WillowFromBuffy

Merry Queen of Scoobies
I'd definitely listen if you brought on Mrs Gordo as a guest. She's so passionate when she speak (just like when she types).

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
Thanks everyone who took the time to comment. We're going to take as much on board as we can and see what we can come up with.

Watch this space. ;)

Top Bottom