1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The hate on buffy is unbearable

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by hamzaoteer, Dec 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

Hi My Fellow Fans I just Registered today I just Wanted to say That BTVS Changed My Life, But When I Entered the Youtube For Watchmojo Top 10 Fantasy Shows i Saw A lot Of people hating on Buffy which got number 2 ,Especialy The Supernatural Fans, Because they think their show Deserve The Number 1 Spot, Its Just Ridiculous Because people Are Too lazy To keep Watching Buffy through the first season, and A lot people said They Watched Buffy But Iam not convinced because they say it's all about Vampires Where as there is so much more,Anyway im honoured to be Here, Also Buffy's ratings on imdb are unfair because it really desrved 8.7 at least

NOTE: English isn't my first language so sorry for the vocabulary.

Joan the Vampire Slayer: Buffy is the best show ever made. I'm a fan of SPN, but it doesn't hold a candle to Buffy.
    MarieVampSlayer and sosa lola like this.
  2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    I just think it's whatever you hold dear. There are just as many people that say Supernatural is Buffy with demons instead of vampires, say X-Files was just about UFOs and that Fringe was not as good as Buffy.

But I don't think there is anyway Buffy should deserve an 8.7 on IMDB. Of course I don't think there is ANY possible way, shape or form that Firefly should have gotten a 9.1.

Dora and hamzaoteer like this.
  3. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

Yeah It's just Sometimes You Have to get them Through the first season, And I Understand , but There's A reason I never understood IMDB Rating.

4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Welcome to the boards! You have a good English so don't worry about it! Where are you from? I am French myself so you're not the only one with English as a second language :)

And don't worry, lots of people still love BtVS!

MarieVampSlayer and hamzaoteer like this.
  5. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    I was hooked after watching the first episode of the first season. "Witch", "The Pack", "The Puppet Show" and "Prophecy Girl" are very very good episodes.

The first season has its flaws compared to later seasons, but it has its own edges. It merges horror movie elements (so are several episodes of S4). The vampires and demons are scary and evil instead of just evil. It also explored more boundaries with a relatively casual tone.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 23, 2015 ---
    People on Youtube hate everything. Youtube has some magic power that can turn nice normal viewers into haters and trolls. Just relax.

Smile Time: The YouTube comment section is not a nice place...
    ChaseRules: It almost like it cursed they so victious on there sometimes
    margybee, Puppet, hamzaoteer and 2 others like this.
  6. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    Welcome to the boards. You have to remember that although lots of people love Buffy they're still a minority. Plenty of people will have seen it and not enjoyed it and most people will have vaguely heard of it but never watched it. It's their loss!

YouTube comments are the dregs of the internet. They mostly seem to come from angry children who struggle to form a coherent sentence. The best policy is to ignore them completely.

Also Season 1 is great. It builds up our favourite characters and gives us plenty of humour mixed with action, horror and emotional moments.

hamzaoteer likes this.
  7. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Yeah - there are haters in all sorts of fandoms who seem to believe that it's outrageous anyone could like a show better than they like theirs. The funny thing is how many actors from Buffy have appeared on SPN, and vice versa. It's kinda funny to get a n00b to watch - one of them told me that she finally understood why BTVS fans just waved dismissively and said 'that's Buffy' all the time. It was because all their favorite shows had stolen elements, characters, scenes, ideas, etc.

Oh, and welcome aboard. There are members here from all over the world so don't worry about language

bafshd: Even Gilmore Girls uses Buffy elements :)
    ChaseRules and hamzaoteer like this.
  8. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

I'm Actually From The Arab World, we Have A lot of Tv Show Lovers But My Brother Used To Tease me About BTVS And That Angel Is better While I Agree With him Although I've Never Watched it ,He Mocks Buffy So I told Him It Was Snubbed In The Emmy's But I Don't think He Want To Watch it Saying It's For Kids And Thank you All, I'm Glad to be here

Blaze: That's awesome! We need more Buffy fans from around the world!
    Blaze and Wildfly like this.
  9. Smile Time

Smile Time Fuffy Apologist

Sineya
    You should definitely watch Angel as well :)

Mainly because most of the commenters are under 13 (the minimum age to use social media by law)

bespangeled, thetopher and hamzaoteer like this.
  10. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

Yeah I'll Try To Buy The DVD's For Angel.

bespangeled: Angel rocks - and it gives all sorts of new insights into a fair amount of characters from Buffy.
  11. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    Welcome, it's fun here :)

hamzaoteer likes this.
  12. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

13. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Good to see more people from all over the world! Did Buffy get televised where you are or are you going from Netflix or satellite TV? I have read one of the interesting stories about the proliferation of television in the Arab world where people were employed to translate not only the language but also the culture of existing programs. "The Simpsons" cartoon became "Al Shamshoon" (the Shamshoons) where Homer became Omar, Marge became Mona, Bart became Badr and Lisa became Beesa. Duff beer became Duff fruit juice, hot dogs became Egyptian sausage links (all beef) and donuts became Khak cookies (which are also made with a hole in the middle), all to be more familiar to Arabs. It only lasted for 34 shows and a number of people who had access to the original Simpsons on satellite TV wanted to see just how badly the Middle East Broadcasting Corporation would botch the translation. Also, some shows ended up being translated into something too weird for either Arabs or Americans to make any sense out of.

It is hard to believe that Buffy or Angel would make it onto the screen with explicit sex, homosexuality and nudity (Nina actually shows some nipple in profile after she gets out of the werewolf cage) and generally the morality of the show would offend a lot of the orthodox Muslim world. Satellite TV would be able to bring it into the homes where it would be additional confirmation that the US was the "Great Satan" some Arabs said it was. But it is great to see people who think for themselves and enjoy the show, so welcome!

Mr. Pole: That Simpsons stuff was awesome
    hamzaoteer and vellavu like this.
  14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Welcome and good to have you.

I agree that for many new viewers Buffy is about getting through the first season. There is lots of promise during that first season, but also a lot of rough edges, and more than any other season it does give the show that more stereotypical teenshow feel. Even within that debut run there are still subverisve elements, and it really kicks into high gear about mid-season 2 and never looks back from there.

I had a lot of negativity about Buffy from my friends at UNI. It was like they were just dismissing it as another "teen show" without really watching it propering. I guess in the era of edgy, popluar HBO style drama then its easiler for such a show to get over looked. Which is why we must go on fighting the good fight:)

ChaseRules: You tell, it Mr Trick. :)
    hamzaoteer and vellavu like this.
  15. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Hello fellow Arab fan. I'm Arab, too. :) AtS is great, but I'm more into BtVS. I see Spike is your favorite character? He's one of my favorite characters too.

hamzaoteer likes this.
  16. hamzaoteer

hamzaoteer Townie

It's Actually great, BTVS Was On MBC 4 And Mbc Action It's Great that People On this Fandom Are nice And Showing Support.

Sorry for late Reply, Got Sick.

17. spnandbuffyfan

spnandbuffyfan Townie

Hamzoateer I disagree with you! And other fans of buffy who bash supernatural are crazy too. I love both shows but supernatrul is the best and my number one. Buffy is second that I like but I both fan groups need to chill out. I hope most of you enjoy supernatural too cause its still great too.

Puppet likes this.
  18. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Buffy gets a lot of hate 'cause people think it's a silly teen show, especially now with the whole twilight thing. But I find the Buffy hatreat unessessary.

But everything gets a little hatreat, especially on Youtube. You can find a video of the cutest puppy in the whole world and there'll still be people like "ugh that's the ugliest puppy i've ever seen!!!". I guess you can't really please everyone.

Puppet and ChaseRules like this.
  19. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

On my first watch of s1 of Buffy, I gave up then came back to it because I thought I should give it a chance since it was filmed in the 90's. I didn't care for it first time around, but on my second rewatch I found myself liking s1 a lot. I had gotten over the 90's affects and ended up appreciating episodes that I thought were silly before. People should really give it a shot and if they just can't stand the affects in s1, they could watch the s1 finale and then continue the series from there. They wouldn't have missed enough to not understand what is going on. They just would have missed some pretty good episodes IMO.
    And anyone who thinks this show is just about vampires has obviously not watched the show. If you want to talk about a show all about vampires that would be "The Vampire Diaries."
    I agree with everyone on here that for some reason YouTube brings out the worst in people and also a lot of adolescents are active on YouTube and not on forums. Any forum I have been on is always more respectful than YouTubers lol.

20. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

hamzaoteer - welcome!

Who cares what other people think? As long as you enjoy something then great. It doesn't matter if everyone else loves it or hates it.

Nix likes this.