• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Master's army

In Prophecy girl, Buffy says she is encountering alot of vamps and they are becoming more brazen. At the end we see alot of vamps heading towards the school. Yet in when she was bad and school hard there are only a few left of the order. It would've been interesting to see the Anointed one leading the army and going full attack.

Instead we only get about six for when she was bad and a dozen in school hard that are easily wiped out

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The Master was supposed to lead them all to glory. He had a book and a prophecy and a fearsome fruit-punch mouth and all that jazz...and then Buffy ended up staking him and the Old Ones didn't even show up.

I think its fair to say that after 'Prophecy Girl' a lot of the Masters remaining flock fled town out of fear/loss of faith, probably crying and whining about their non-apocalypse.
What we saw after the summer- which had been very quiet according to Xander- were what was left, The Master's true believers, the real deluded insano's who still followed the Anointed One and clung to the thought of resurrecting their guy some day.
It sort of puts the Annoying One's 'powerful' sway of other vamps into perspective; he was not The Master and clearly he didn't command as much respect. He certainly couldn't draw new followers to him, he just held on to dwindling remnants. Poor kid.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I am going to refer to The Master as Maestro, and The Anointed One as Mesias. Because Latin is creepy.

I totally agree. Vampires hate each other, and I kind of like that Maestro's true superpower is using his Psychic powers, personal charisma and other abilities to control an legion of vampires as their King, and that with an open Hellmouth and a death slayer, it would be the birth of a vampire nation, whereas an a lesser vampire could only keep a handful of followers together. Heck, “Interview with the Vampire” made it clear that keeping two vampires in line was pretty difficult

However, I do have to point out, that Mesias was no slouch. Maestro, when in the church was only ever accompanied by a small court of followers, his most loyal dark paladins. Mesias wasn’t there to conquer Sunnydale, he was in hiding, preparing the rituals to revive Maestro, then, when he was good and ready, strike out against the Scoobies to complete the ritual. He succeeded. He maintained operational security, in that neither Giles nor Angel knew what he was up to, he was able to capture the Scoobies. Arguably, the only reason he failed is that Buffy captured and tortured one of minions with a silver cross. So while I'll agree that the next episode was the Dead Enders of the Order of Aurelius in school hard, Mesias almost succeeded to revive his fallen master.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
It was fairly obvious that the Master and his little band of idiots would have to be killed off, mainly because the scriptwriters knew next to nothing about vampire lore.
When the Master made Luke his vessel he said about my soul is your soul (?), I thought everyone knew that the demon consumes the soul when taking residence in a human body.
As for Luke, he said a slayer found him asleep! A slayer allowed a vampire to walk free, what a lame slayer.
As for the size of the Masters army there must have been 5 or 6 at most, not an army more like almost a handful.
And as for Darla, she was so pitiful in the beginning but as later described in the Buffy and Angel series' she appeared to be very highly spoken of; what drugs were the scriptwriters on?

Cohen

Hellhound
@ILLYRIAN to be fair to the writers, upon the pilot they really hadn’t thought through the lore. Also, it could have been a metaphorical soul. And we really didn’t know about vampire souls til midway through the season when Angel was revealed to have been a vampire.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
What do you think there was no information around about vampire law? Even the Buffy film was before the series,

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
As for Luke, he said a slayer found him asleep! A slayer allowed a vampire to walk free, what a lame slayer.

Actually Luke says 'he caught me sleeping' to the Master asking the question 'when's the last time somebody fought you and lived?' So it wasn't a slayer, they're always girls.
It was probably some bad-ass vampire hunter like Holtz.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
I wonder who had the final say on what was allowed to be said?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
And the subject at the time was what, slayers?
Which brings another quandary, how often do vampires sleep?

thetopher
thetopher
The subject was 'Who could survive a fight with Luke?'

Ninjagirl2008

Townie
I feel like the amount of vampires attacking the school in Prophecy Girl and School Hard may have been limited by the budget, but the way it was shot kept it scary. When Jenny and Willow walk out of the school and see vamps coming at them from all sides, I felt like it implied there were more vamps surrounding the school at the other entrances. Also, it would be pretty terrifying to walk outside and see 6 vampires surrounding you. In School Hard, Spike really sells it. He's scary, and keeping everything dark and the humans spread out and hiding turned it into a tension building hunt instead of a quickly resolved wholesale slaughter. It was also neat to see Buffy sneaking around picking off vampires one at a time. More horror movie then action movie, which worked with the number of baddies.

Top Bottom