• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Midichloridians moment

RonWesley

Townie
Midichloridians are my main objection about the Star Wars prequels. In the original triology Vader said the power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the force, Luke felt it when Vader was close and vice versa, etc. The force was magic. In the prequels this was turned into midichloridians. Qui-Gon Jinn couldnt feel Anakins strong force, he had to do a medical test instead. It totally disrupted my viewing and to this day I prefer to pretend midichloridians dont exist.

Agents of SHIELD also had a midichloridians moment. That was when they killed Xena. Seriously, we finally get to see that actress again, and she gets killed off this quickly ? Not cool.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Huh. A single plot-contrivance is your main problem with the prequels?

To me the midichloridian thing is just a necessary but very clunky plot device to reveal how Jedi go about ascertaining who is definitive 'good' Jedi material from some early age. The Jedi need something concrete, something that can be easily conveyed to the audience, I mean; it could've been a magic ritual or a meditation technique or whatever but sci-fi lends itself to some kind of tech-tech solution. A scan or a medical test makes some sense.

By the original trilogy the Empire has successfully scrubbed 'Jedi-ness' from the minds of most people; what was once a respected institution is now thought of as nothing but superstition and parlor tricks, disbelieved by most and revered by a few.

To me the prequels are bad because of all the poor plotting, pacing, acting and characters. The basics of story-telling. The only thing I like about the prequels is background on the Emperor/Anakin relationship and some interesting world-building

Agents of SHIELD also had a midichloridians moment. That was when they killed Xena. Seriously, we finally get to see that actress again, and she gets killed off this quickly ? Not cool.

I mean, that doesn't seem like a 'midichloridian moment' as you yourself described it, its more like a subversion of expectations; killing off Lucy Lawless is unexpected, therefore it is good.
Jed trying to do Joss and bungling it a bit; because most people were invested in the actress, not the character. They weren't shocked because 'this character died', they were bummed because a popular genre actress wasn't joining the series like it appeared.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
Anakin's 'immaculate conception' nearly made me turn the movie off. 😩

I used to feel the same way, but there’s supplemental/tie-in material written after the fact that made me look at it a lot differently after I read it.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
unofficial/after the fact don't count! 🤥
Top Bottom