• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The original Buffy received a death threat

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Kristy Swanson, famed for starring in the 1992 film version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, says she and actor Dean Cain have received a “death threat” over a live stage reading they are starring in next month — because it supports Donald Trump.

As Politico has reported, the conservative actors are set to play former Trump-Russia investigators Peter Strzok and Lisa Page in a Washington, D.C. performance titled FBI Lovebirds: Undercovers. The reading will pore over the former FBI agents’ text messages to each other, highlighting their extramarital affair and disdain for Trump. Cain will play Strzok, while Swanson has been cast as Page.

But news of the production, which Politico described as “Trumpian,” has stirred up some animosity from critics of the president. Swanson, who frequently tweets pro-Trump messages, shared a screenshot on a tweet sent by an anonymous troll threatening to “lock the doors and set the theater on fire.” The actress called the message a “death threat” and demanded it be reported. Cain retweeted her post.

She later noted that the tweet had been removed, but was disappointed that the account which sent it hadn’t been “banned.” Her fans voiced their outrage over the incident, saying the “threat” wasn’t being taken more seriously because of Swanson’s right-wing views.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Of course Twitter didn't ban the account, that sight is full of that type of garbage.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
MAD Magazine recently (month or so ago, I think) said if Twitter barred Donald Trump then they'd lose half their customers who mainly use it to hate-follow him.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Wow. So glad I got off those sites before I got sucked in. This stuff is mental. That is more than a death threat - it's terrorism.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Well, they didn't tweet anything truly awful, like telling laid-off Buzzfeed journalists that they should "learn to code", so of course they weren't banned.

The threat sucks but it seems to be something of a Twitter-norm, which is sad. Glad I only briefly used, then deleted Twitter, it feels like such a negative place.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Agree with the others. I think this has been blown up more than it needs to. Harassment from either side is wrong. Plus it achieves nothing in the long run.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
No one should ever tweet death threats, no matter the political views of the person that they are tweeting to. I have my own political opinions (which I prefer not to talk about here because they are irrelevant), but that doesn't mean that I think it's okay to threaten to hurt people just because they don't believe the same things as me. If you really disagree with someone, just unfollow them.

thrasherpix

Scooby
If twitter did crack down on this crap (or if everyone making threats like this found themselves in court), twitter would quickly become a thing of the past. And reporters loving the clickbait garden would mourn its demise.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I used to love twitter. Was constantly on it. A good source for news, etc, but then the tone shifted. Maybe if you would crap down on this crap it would go back to how it used to be. I would not complain.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I used to love twitter. Was constantly on it. A good source for news, etc, but then the tone shifted. Maybe if you would crap down on this crap it would go back to how it used to be. I would not complain.
No, but the shareholders and others at the top that would lose a ton of money. Anger glues people to it, and also spreads it, and that means more money. They're not the only ones who choose profit by making things worse rather than service for a fair wage.

katmobile

Scooby
I do have to say that although no one should receive death threats I do find the hypocrisy who someone who ran off with her dancing partner and got them to abandon their pregnant partner supporting a party endorsing 'christian' values somewhat hypocritical.
Just because I support Swanson human rights doesn't mean I think much of her or her politics.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Judge not, lest ye be judged...

katmobile

Scooby
I think there were defamation reasons and the death threats were a smoke screen.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
There may be defamation issues (not sure if Strzok & Page are covered as "public figures" or not) but I would be very surprised if there weren't threats made against the theater or actors. That's just what people do nowadays. I think they would have just said, "lawyers shut us down" if that was all there was to it.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
There may be defamation issues
I don't see how there could be defamation issues if they are only reading the texts which have been reported by numerous news outlets. Certainly not being a stage play where, if they go off script - script being the text messages - it would be their opinion and not presented as fact which would make the defamation argument invalid.

But that's like, you know, my opinion and all. Certain parties wanted the play shut down to preserve a narrative and it was shut down, simple as that.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I don't see how there could be defamation issues if they are only reading the texts which have been reported by numerous news outlets. Certainly not being a stage play where, if they go off script - script being the text messages - it would be their opinion and not presented as fact which would make the defamation argument invalid.

But that's like, you know, my opinion and all. Certain parties wanted the play shut down to preserve a narrative and it was shut down, simple as that.
Honestly, I didn't get too far into what the play was going to show, so that makes sense to me if that's what it is.

Spanky
Spanky
Yeah, they were just going to read (dramatically) the texts one another sent. It was just a one-day only play which would subsequently be put on youtube. The youtube part is what I think made certain parties fearful.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
That the one thing I don't like about Trump .
People on both sides think anything goes so we hear about things like this all the time .
What we really need is a Present who dull so the only people who are fighting are the politicians
& the rest of us can not worry .

katmobile

Scooby
Seriously the no forgiveness person quotes the Bible at me. It just seems suspicious that a play gets cancelled for political objections when the politics is that of the establishment. Anita Snarkesian is still doing public engagements despite being threatened every which way by internet trolls while one which disappears is enough to get a play shut down just seems a bit fishy to me. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I just know things like Cradle will rock got staged despite been banned the cast recited their lines from the audience. I know that Swanson isn't the first and won't be the last to be threatened because someone didn't like the politics and the show usually goes on anyway.

Top Bottom