• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The original S4 ending Yay or Nay

Btvs fan

Scooby
OK so the original ending for S4 was to have Cordy as the Villain with Angel defeating her in a Becoming style ending.

Leaving everything else aside, what are peoples thoughts on that. Would it have worked ?

And what of Cordy herself would she have been cured like Angel and back for S5 or would that have been it for the character anyway and she was killed off without Angels subsequent resurrection ?

Personally I think the idea sounded awful and evil Cordy when on the show was not well acted by Charisma regardless of everything else. It was hard to take her seriously and it wasn't simply the writing her performance was not great.

If Greenwalt had still been on the show I think yes she would've survived but without him I'm saying no

Anyway what are others thoughts

Faded90

Scooby
It would have been awful. Plus the whole ‘reverse Becoming’ thing would have just been yet another ‘we have no Cangel ideas so we’re just giving them Bangel stuff’

So I’m assuming would Cordy have been the Jasmine ‘world peace but no free will’ character herself? Following her brief stint as a higher power

Priceless

Scooby
I guess if it was a Becoming style ending, Cordy and Angel would have been in love prior to the ending, as Buffy and Angel were, and I would be all for that. I'd also take Cordy back as Cordy under any circumstances. I really like AtS S5, but I know I'd have truly loved it if Cordy had been there, and even more so if we had her and Angel re-building a loving relationship.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Angel defeating Cordelia would have been a travesty of good storytelling. Cordelia being reconstituted as one of the "good guys" would have been a repeat of Faith's experience. What we needed was one member of Angel Investigations who refused to get in the limousine at the end of the season and if that member was human, she would be the only one to survive past the following season.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Agreed. To be fair, a lot of Season 5 was the build, and an Act Five with Cordelia might have been compelling television, but we'll never know. After all, this is basically the ending to "Dark Phoenix" which is a great ending, but only if you buy into the characters' love and duty.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I wouldn't have bought into it; Cangel is not Bangel and Angel is not a seventeen year old killing his first love. It would've been a hollow re-tread instead of something truly original.

Cangel as depicted was quietly taken to one side and executed. The Cangel-we-could've had was in S5 'You're Welcome', which has its own charm separate from any echoes of Becoming.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
"Quietly taken to one side and executed". That was funny. Like what you do with a dying pet

Btvs fan

Scooby
I wouldn't have bought into it; Cangel is not Bangel and Angel is not a seventeen year old killing his first love. It would've been a hollow re-tread instead of something truly original.

Cangel as depicted was quietly taken to one side and executed. The Cangel-we-could've had was in S5 'You're Welcome', which has its own charm separate from any echoes of Becoming.
Amazing to think that if SMG had came back then Your Welcome wouldn't have happened and Cordy could still be in a coma when NFA airs

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
The way I now see it, they more or less still had the season arc with Angel and Cordelia be quite similar to the Buffy and Angel arc leading to Becoming.

Buffy and Angel feelings grow even stronger that despite the turmoil and danger going on around them, they decide to come together and declare their love which in turn gives Angel some happiness even with his worries.
However it is shattered when Angel goes bad and want hurt Buffy and then ultimately get rid of her when his plans to control her for his own way fails.
In the end Buffy has to find the strength to kill Angelus (with a sword).

Angel and Cordy's feelings for each other grow so strong that they want to declare their love and come together despite all the turmoil and danger going on around them so Angel has some happiness even with his issues.
However this is shattered even more when they are torn apart with Cordy going bad and wanting to hurt Angel (by turning him back to Angelus) and then ultimately wanting to get rid of him when her plans to control him for her own ways fails.
In the end Angel did find the strength to decide he was going to kill (not) Cordy (with a sword).

So while absolutely being glad that they didn't have the chance to do a complete reversal of Become, they IMO still took elements from that storyline and imprinted them into that part of the series arc.

It just doesn't leave a good impression of their creativity when they end up trying to recreate a similar storyline but knowing it is necessay to go about it differently or from a different angle because to me it shows a decidingly lack of fresh ideas and originality.

I can enjoy most of series four for what happened onscreen although I can also acknowledge that it wasn't great for the character of Cordy but I felt like that started happening from towards the middle of series three for the character of Cordelia.

I do believe that they could have work Cordy back into series five and it would have been good. I'll admit I still wouldn't have been interested in a Angel and Cordy relationship and wouldn't have felt it was a organic and authentic route for them however I don't feel that now I would have had a strong objection to it.

I do think that even though You're Welcome turn out to be a great swansong for Cordelia, as a whole, it doesn't show that much respect for the character's achievements and importance for ATS as that episode only came about because of SMG not being available.

It does make me wonder that if Cordy had still been in a coma when Not Fade Away had been done, would she had been still been alive in the comics and woken up somehow therefore giving her and Angel the chance to be together?..

Top Bottom