• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Scythe After Season 7

white avenger

white avenger
Does anyone else think that, maybe, the Scythe is used too much after Season 7? Granted, it's a traditional Slayer weapon, but it's obviously an extremely powerful weapon, designed for specific tasks. Slaying your average vampire with such a weapon would be like using a big game rifle to hunt rabbits. Sure, it would get the job done, but the overkill factor is extreme. Add to that, the Scythe is at least as potentially dangerous, in the wrong hands, as the Gem of Amara was. I don't think that it should be destroyed, anymore than the Gem was, but both would have been far safer hidden away someplace secure, only to be taken out when actually needed.

We never saw Buffy carrying her rocket launcher on patrol after Season 2, despite the fact that it could have been useful on several occasions (against the Mayor or Glory, for instance) though it was obviously, as we saw in Season 7, still accessible and operational. The Scythe, I think, should have been stored away in exactly the same way, accessible and operational when needed, but hidden away the rest of the time.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Hiding something someplace secure usually means having a protection detail guarding it 24/7. And that would signal where it is. After all, that is how Buffy found it.

We saw a different rocket launcher used in Season 7 in "Him" when Buffy wanted to kill principal Wood in order to prove her love for RJ. Fortunately, it was never fired.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Does anyone else think that, maybe, the Scythe is used too much after Season 7?
I do think that the over emphasis on the scythe is a little tiring. I don't know that I think the scythe should be stored away but I do wish they used it less often. There isn't anything all that novel about it because I see it so much in the comics. I think that s11 finale would've had more of a punch if I hadn't seen the scythe since s8.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I just read Issue 1 of Season 11 where Buffy and Spike are fighting a worm-sewer demon; Buffy uses the scythe- the magical slayer weapon- on it and doesn't do anything. Spike then bites the worm in vamp-face and draws blood.

So yeah, the scythe is used too much considering how lame its become; Buffy should break it out for big threats or recurring fights, otherwise- as illustrated above- it comes across as increasingly ineffective.

Top Bottom