• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Season of the Many Love Triangles

GraceK

Grr Arrg
If you want to stick a bias on me, you should go with my love for Wes and Lilah, otherwise you're just gonna keep guessing until you hit the mark.
The you in my post was a general you. As in, if you prefer cheeseburgers over fishsticks, it’s easy to go to McDonald’s . It’s meant to refer to the general Fred and Gunn shippers as a whole, not you in particular.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
The you in my post was a general you. As in, if you prefer cheeseburgers over fishsticks, it’s easy to go to McDonald’s . It’s meant to refer to the general Fred and Gunn shippers as a whole, not you in particular.
I see. Well, I am personally not a super fan of Gunn or Fred or Gunn and Fred, but I do not like the reason the show gives for why they are not compatible. Suggesting that Gunn is not smart enough to date Fred is either classicist or racist or both. And I've stated so many times that it doesn't make any sense for Wesley to be able to be able to read Fred's physics paper, because nobody can know as much as Wesley does. From fencing, to sonography, to deep sea diving, to history and ancient langues, to Spanish architecture ... Wesley knows much more than any person could, and if Fred can only date someone who can match her intellectually, then she should date a physicist.

Another problem is that we so rarely get any glimpse of what Fred is feeling. She is just an object that Wes and Gunn fight over. She never show any interest in Wes or Gunn before they make their move, and even then, it often feels like she just plays along. "Double or Nothing" stands out in this case, because it does show that she care about Gunn, even if the episode is not the best portrayal of Gunn with his Gangsta Paradise and his all-important truck.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
From fencing, to sonography, to deep sea diving, to history and ancient langues, to Spanish architecture ... Wesley knows much more than any person could, and if Fred can only date someone who can match her intellectually, then she should date a physicist.
Yeah he does kind of become Superman in that sense...although I think it’s more to serve the plot. Oh google, where were you? 😂
Another problem is that we so rarely get any glimpse of what Fred is feeling. She is just an object that Wes and Gunn fight over. She never show any interest in Wes or Gunn before they make their move,
Fair. She was much more active in pursuing Angel actually, and so much more action girl , even though crazy, in Pylea. I like her much better in season 5 ( of course, then she dies 🥺🙄) and she seems much more there to service the angst between Gunn and Wesley in season 4.
even if the episode is not the best portrayal of Gunn with his Gangsta Paradise and his all-important truck.
That was so embarrassing.😂😂 As a white person I felt deeply ashamed. You just knew it was a white writers room moment 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
I like her much better in season 5 ( of course, then she dies 🥺🙄)
I actually like Fred and Wes quite a bit in S5, even if it is super weird that she needs to be reminded that he is hopelessly in love with her (She seems to have some gold fish memory deficiency when it comes to this, which may be the result of studying physics too hard).

Both their deaths are some of the saddest moment ever shown on TV.

GraceK
GraceK
I wept buckets. Seriously

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Gunn should have been paired up with Faith. She takes an instant liking to him and as we see with Robin Woods in BtVS, she certainly has no problems crossing the racial divide. She first meets Gunn in "Salvage" and we get this exchange:

FAITH
(walks up to Cordelia) Cordelia, you have every right to feel that way about me. You have no reason to trust me, but I don't have loads of time, so why don't we save it until after this is over. Cool? (claps her hands) OK, let's get down to it. We're gonna keep this hunting party tight. Gunn, right?

GUNN
Yeah.

FAITH
Love the name. I hear you're a good fighter.

GUNN
I hold my own.

FAITH

That's a shame. You're with me, Wes, and the kid.

The obvious double entendre makes it clear that Faith is interested in Gunn and the story would have been better if this had continued. This would have gotten rid of the Gunn - Fred romance which was going nowhere anyway and was interfering with the Wesley - Fred romance which morphed into the Wesley - Fred - Lilah triangle. The triangles were a distraction, not good drama.

Top Bottom