• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Slayer

DazzaGee

Townie
I often wondered what if they just called the show "The Slayer or The Vampire Slayer" That way the show could be timeless and they could easily introduce new slayers without it being centered around Buffy. Like when Buffy died the first time and they introduced faith, she would become the next main character. I feel if they make a reboot, we would continue to compare it to Buffy. Like if the show was just called the slayer they could kind of pick up where they left off with a new slayer and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have a new slayer as the main lead until the next one

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
Definitely would be an interesting idea, but it would poorly translate to television.

In a comic, novel, or maybe even movie format, I think this could be pulled off! The problem with a tv show is that you need to draw viewers in for several years to keep ratings high enough to continue. Not all that easy if the cast & characters people have grown to like get replaced with new members.

As far as a reboot goes, I think it’s going to be very critically analyzed by the fan base, regardless of the title or plot. The Whedonverse has been so cemented in people’s minds for over twenty years at this point, and anything that comes after or riffs on it is going to be inevitably compared to the older content.

Still, I would love to see someone take your concept and use it in a comic or something similar! It would be interesting to see Boom! do a bunch of interconnected miniseries starring consecutive slayers, for example

Stake fodder

What about my me?
I agree with calling it "The Slayer." I also agree with @Plasma that an anthology series might lose viewers. But since the original Buffyverse has dozens of slayers now, it seems like they could focus on a group of them (so, "The Slayers"?), with each having part of an intertwined story, just like a lot of popular shows with large casts. They could even have occasional flashbacks to historical slayers. However, I suspect if they were to reboot, they would want to go back to just one long-living slayer again.

TheMaster666

Potential
The way Joss weirdly ended the show, I don't think that could work. But then, I have not seen any of the post-Season 7 comics, so I have no idea how the writers there dealt with a bajillion Slayers across the world inside every female human.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, though, what's the point? The teen drama-cum-campy horror schtick's been done, and even after it was done, they constantly found new ways to keep the characters going and having new things to do. 7 seasons is a good run for a show, and it doesn't need anything more. Reboots never have the same love and dedication put into them, because they don't really need hard work to succeed. They are going to have some moderate success at the least by virtue of their very existence.

Yeah it would be better, because at least it wouldn't try to redo the characters we know and already love. But it would still be a case of "been there, done that" even with new characters.

Synch

Townie
The network actually wanted the show to be called Slayer.

MargoTheFreak

Townie
I think often reboots have slight renames anyways, and there was still going to be a Faith spinoff when the show ended, so they were going to make it work.

For better or for worse, I think the show is all about Buffy, not necessarily Buffy's slayerness, so it actually makes a lot of sense to me that they would push to have her name in the title. The OG concept for the show was a horror movie where the dumb blonde ends up defeating the bad guy instead of being mauled in her underwear, so I think from the moment it was created, they really wanted to center around Buffy's character, almost more than the lore. She's bubbly and blond, and even though there was slayer lore that was essential to her character, the show was about Buffy to begin with, not the Slayer.

Later on, they developed the lore and made room for spinoffs, but the character of Buffy was created before the Slayer world was, so I think they very pointedly had her name in the title.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It's an interesting idea, it may have worked in 2005, along with Ripper, Spike Movie, Dawn the Vampire Slayer, Willow, Faith & whatever else was being tossed around then. I just don't know what the commercial value of the backstory to a teen series where the original audience is just turning forty is?

Also, a lot of Buffy's backstory is needlessly complex, bad fanfic or represents the quality that Dark Horse had come to represent. Especially the post series stuff.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Long before some of our younger members were even born 😉 BB tried a similar idea for members' fanfic. It was called "Tales of the Slayer" and contains the only known example of Pointy fiction released into the wild. Some of them (not necessarily mine...you'll be the judge) are really very good indeed. Check them out here - Tales of the Slayer - and, if you feel inspired, why not add your own.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
It could work, but I don't think the series would be as affective as it was if that has even done. For me, what that the series so interesting was watching this one girl navigate these impossible situations, and getting to know her and rooting for her was what kept me coming back to watch it. In other words, I got attached to Buffy as a character and that could not have happened if she had been killed and another protagonist introduced.

Cohen

Hellhound
I have long stated it would be cool to do a “Tales of the Slayer” limited anthology series as a continuation of the show. They could do block episodes, where a different slayer story takes place over 3-4 episodes, and release them in “parts” or “volumes” as a nod to the books. There’s already some source material from the novels that came out, and then the writers could then branch off into their own versions. This would be an ingenious way to keep the series fresh, and you could even cast actors in various roles because they’re from different time periods. Similar to American Horror Story, and it’s new anthology spinoff “American Horror Stories”!

You could even have “Tales of the Vampires,” that follow antiheroes or villains in the Buffyverse. (Vampire could be a lose meaning of the creatures the slayer faces… “tales of the monsters” and “tales of the villains” just doesn’t hit the same)

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Would have been nice after S5 when Buffy died, the scoobies would deal with a new called slayer after Buffy.
Always thought about that "what if post S5".
Weirdly there was no new third slayer called after Buffy died in the show.

TheMaster666

Potential
I often wondered what if they just called the show "The Slayer or The Vampire Slayer" That way the show could be timeless and they could easily introduce new slayers without it being centered around Buffy. Like when Buffy died the first time and they introduced faith, she would become the next main character. I feel if they make a reboot, we would continue to compare it to Buffy. Like if the show was just called the slayer they could kind of pick up where they left off with a new slayer and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have a new slayer as the main lead until the next one
Interesting idea. Could be like all the different Doctor Who's, or James Bond's.

But this really is Buffy's show. Her friends, her life, etc. She is the central figure, and her struggles through life and growing up are mirrored in the fantasy/demon realm. Having infinite slayers just kind of cheapens the significance and unique nature of this slayer hero. One reason why the series finale was a little disappointing to me. She's supposed to be the one girl. Sure, occasionally there are others, but Faith's character was always meant to be the "evil" slayer, not the "next" slayer, and the other one died after like 2 episodes. (sorry, I forgot her name).
Post automatically merged:

Would have been nice after S5 when Buffy died, the scoobies would deal with a new called slayer after Buffy.
Always thought about that "what if post S5".
Weirdly there was no new third slayer called after Buffy died in the show.
Good point, never realized that before.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I can't remember for sure now...but I thought it was established that the Slayer line ran through Faith, not through Buffy AND Faith (not counting season 7, I mean they torture Spike by putting his head in a bucket of water as if he needed to breathe anyway, among many other things of that nature, so I just won't count it...even then it's possible that the spell Willow did created a double Slayer line rather that being the case in season 5).

Granted, this show changed the rules on a regular basis so one can't say anything definitive. The actors and Joss seem to change what they say about it as well, though people remember the specific version they want to remember and ignore the rest.

Kendar

Potential
I can't remember for sure now...but I thought it was established that the Slayer line ran through Faith, not through Buffy AND Faith (not counting season 7, I mean they torture Spike by putting his head in a bucket of water as if he needed to breathe anyway, among many other things of that nature, so I just won't count it...even then it's possible that the spell Willow did created a double Slayer line rather that being the case in season 5).

Granted, this show changed the rules on a regular basis so one can't say anything definitive. The actors and Joss seem to change what they say about it as well, though people remember the specific version they want to remember and ignore the rest.
Correct, and that came from Joss himself. So love him or hate him word of god is that Faith is the "active slayer" (until the end of 7 anyway).

Top Bottom