• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The tale of Joss Whedon, a man with no name, from a town that doesn't exist

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
from avclub

Into every generation a man is born (allegedly). Sometimes he’s the creator of some of the most influential television programs of all time. Sometimes he directs the biggest superhero movie on the planet. Sometimes he then blows up his career, through a series of reportedly abusive actions that cause the world to do a series of re-appraisals on his entire canon, examining both the workplace environments in which they were created, and the underlying tropes that power them. And sometimes, this man has trouble with his birth certificate.

Such is the strange story currently swirling around Joseph “Joss” Whedon, the famed Buffy creator and former Justice League director, who recently sued the state of New York to get a copy of his birth certificate in a story that demands the question: Who is this “Joss Whedon” person, anyway?

Per Page Six, Whedon’s current issues stem from his recent wedding to Canadian artist Heather Horton, whose efforts to apply for a green card have been somewhat hampered by her marriage to a man who does not, in technical terms, exist. That is, there’s no such person in the government’s records as “Joss Whedon,” even though that’s what Whedon’s apparently been putting on his state-issued ID for many years, because apparently the brand really is just that strong. As such, Whedon can’t correct certain errors on the pair’s wedding certificate, because he doesn’t have a birth certificate, which he can’t get, because he can’t prove he’s “Joseph Whedon,” and not just “Joss”.

What really makes this whole situation delightfully absurd, though, are those aforementioned wedding certificate errors. Apparently, the document lists the incorrect maiden name for Whedon’s mother, and lists his place of birth as “Santa Monica, New York,” a town that does not exist. All of which means that we can only conclude that “Joss Whedon” is actually a government plant, who has now gone rogue, after spending his career infiltrating a particular strain of quirky dialogue and surprisingly non-empowering female empowerment directly into the pop culture ecosystem.

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To be fair, I assumed Joss’s next wife would be a 1990s Model of Amy Acker. So, bravo?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
What a crazy story. So, Joss was never real to begin with! lol. Sounds like maybe he was born in a suspect situation and maybe did not have a legal birth certificate. Not sure how he got through life without one though.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
It is an interesting fact in law that the more you use a fake name like Joss, the more legal it becomes. If he was to get a birth certificate under Joss Whedon, it would be legal and the Joseph Whedon name might disappear.

The Santa Monica NY place name and the wrong maiden name for his mother would be more difficult to correct.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Hang on...Joss and Heather look related.

Perhaps they're just in love. There is the thing about dogs beginning to look like their owners because of the strong relationship, not that I'm implying either one of them is a dog. Some couples just look like they go together and similarities start to develop.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Lalala I can't hear you...

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Perhaps they're just in love. There is the thing about dogs beginning to look like their owners because of the strong relationship, not that I'm implying either one of them is a dog. Some couples just look like they go together and similarities start to develop.

Nah, I don't buy it. Perhaps that confusion with his birth certificate means that's he's adopted...and then we'll find out that Heather is actually his sister.

They pretty much have the same features, and remember that Joss is also a ginger. Uh oh. 🧐

Hey, here's a thread topic!!!!

Punkie

Townie
A man with no name. I went through the desert with one of those - it was good, being out of the rain.

I was wondering what kind of dumbarse puts their nickname on their driver’s license, but then I realized he must have been in the desert, too, so he (obviously) would not be able to remember his name.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I was wondering what kind of dumbarse puts their nickname on their driver’s license,=
I legally use three different names. None of them are really nicknames, but it does get confusing trying to remember what name to use where.

burrunjor

Scooby
I reckon that comment is a dig against his former cast like Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson etc. Do you guys think that he genuinely thought they respected him? I'm not saying that excuses it, but I think his ego has taken a (deserved) bashing from all of this.

Top Bottom