1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The true flowering of Spuffy in S6

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by Anyanka Bunny Killer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Squeak

Black Thorn
    Uh oh...after spending today re-watching S6, I'm finally beginning to understand the appeal of Spuffy. Previously, I took great enjoyment in mocking it...but NOW, I do believe I ship it.

The way looks at her...his face just shining with love. So sweet. I never really noticed before (because of short attention span), and my heart just melted this time around.

Do you believe that Spuffy seriously began in S6? Or do you feel it was earlier?

Puppet, Guy, Priceless and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I think Spuffy was being built since season 4 and it made me really ship it at the time but now I just find it kinda 'meh' to me

3. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Squeak

Black Thorn
    I never really paid attention until today. For me, S6 was basically just Dark Willow and OMWF...but today there were no distractions and I paid complete attention. James' face was radiant and his eyes glowed when he looked at her. Awww man....beautiful.

Puppet, Priceless and Geobubbles like this.
  4. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I loved the chemistry between Spike and Buffy all the way back to S2 but I think Spuffy started in S4. I know exactly what you mean, the way Spike looks at Buffy makes me melt.

5. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul Scooby

You are coming at it at exactly the angle you need to, to enjoy Spuffy IMO. That's the Spike angle. All you are listing is about Spike. Buffy's face tells a whole different story. If you are Spike > Buffy then you should have no problem falling for the ship, since it's primarily all about Spike.

I have no clue personally. Supposedly Joss had the image of Buffy being cornholed by Spike for years before it happened. On the other hand Blucas was supposed to stay on as Riley but he decided not to renew his contract. Maybe Spuffy would never have happened, and my guess is that if the show had stayed with WB it most certainly wouldn't have.

As a viewer I think Spuffy never happened (ignoring comics) in the sense of Buffy+Spike. On Spike's side, of course. But on Buffy's, she came to love him as a friend in S7 and that was the best she had to offer him IMO. So I don't think Spuffy ever seriously began at all in the live tv show.

Jam, Carrie Hopewell and thetopher like this.
  6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Spuffy began in S2. Without a doubt. But S4 the writers decided to act on it.

7. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I agree with you :) Spuffy began in School Hard, mainly due to Spike's overt sexuality, he obviously fancies Buffy, which is in the writing. But it's only by Something Blue that the writers think they might take a risk on this relationship. The chemistry between the actors is just amazing, and the writers/producers would have been fools to pass on that.

8. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul Scooby

Eww. Spike is even older than Angel (in human years) and at least twice the age of S2 Buffy. And people accuse Angel of being a pedo.:eek:

Mr. Pole: But Spike is a sensitive soul, so it's okay.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I disagree. Spike was originally supposed to be killed off in season 2. It was only because he proved so popular with the audience that he was stuck in the wheelchair instead. They then had him leave with Dru.

10. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    How does that in any way negate the fact that Spuffy started in season 2? It's obvious.

Puppet likes this.
  11. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I think he's being sarcastic, but with Mr. Pole there seems to be a fine line between truth and sarcasm :rolleyes:

Priceless likes this.
  12. Priceless

Often what we see on screen is different to the intent of the writers/producers. Every memebr of the audinece is different, and sees different things. I saw chemistry in S2 School Hard, and for me that was the start of Buffy/Spike relationship.

Right again. We're so on a roll :D

Puppet and GoSpuffy like this.
  13. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    I do not like agreeing with a spuffy, but in this case yes, it seemed clear- certainly in retrospect- that S2 is when the badship Spuffy first took hold. Season 2 is when Spike first learned the joys of Buffy voyeurism, which he would implement later on with creepishly good success.

Puppet, thetopher, Guy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Priceless

I honestly laughed out loud :) Can I steal 'Badship Spuffy'?

Puppet and Guy like this.
  15. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    People steal my ideas and phrases all the time and try to pass it off as their own, you're the first to actually ask. Steal away!

Priceless: Thanks!
    Puppet and Priceless like this.
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I think it begin in S2 even if that was not the writers intent at the time. That spark between SMG and Master's is hard to argue with.

17. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I disagree. I think on Spikes side there was a sexual attraction, but that's it. His head was really only full of Drusilla, even JM has said that. And I think season 2 Buffy would have eaten live snakes rather than see him as anything other than a vampire. There was nothing there on her side at ALL, and to say there was I think is grasping at straws. And I say this as someone who likes Spuffy a lot and will defend them. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it true.

Priceless likes this.
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yes, but I think its like Pole said that it can only be seen now looking back at it. At the time I can't think more than a handful of people would have shipped them based on their early scenes together.

I've always seen the Buffy-Spike thing during the early seasons to be a very much to hate type relationship. Though it maybe well hidden I think there was some begrudging respect between the two. It only really starting to show up in text around S4, but I do think its there in a more subtle way during those early seasons.

TriBel, GoSpuffy and Priceless like this.
  19. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

There is definitely chemistry between them, they are fantastic enemies and their banter is great. Their team up in becoming was awesome, and I can definitely see a grudging respect between them. I just disagree in the idea that they were secretly in love with each other the whole time, or they harbored some deep deep romantic attraction to each other. Why isn't that enough at that point?..why couldn't they just be interesting enemies instead of trying to force something else? That's my view anyway

Hunga Munga, Priceless and Bluebird like this.
  20. Spuffy Slayer

Spuffy Slayer spuffy lives forever and spike rules

earlier
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 24, 2017 ---
    i undrstand what you mean but i really think spike loved buffy

Priceless and GoSpuffy like this.