• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The War On Drugs

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Slow down, please. I said that I disagree and meant in a general way without knowing the particulars which means I could be wrong and I am in no way judging anyone's experiences. I disagree but you could easily prove me wrong in a mature discussion without attempting to provoke a fight. All I meant is that there are so many alternative therapies to such medication that Society, in general, ignores. I would never pretend to know the ins and outs of any individual case or play doctor. I apologize if you felt I was making a diagnosis. I should have expanded on my point but, my PC is sick and I have little time online right now. Sorry, no insult or 'I-know-it-all-better' intended there at all.

@dstaraster Please feel free to express yourself naturally at anytime (repectfully of course) :)
I was hardly trying to provoke a fight but apologise if my response upset you.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Sounds like someone needs to take a painkilling drug, Panadol.
J

joseph

Throughout the 1800s, the use of recreational drugs flourished legally alongside the industrial and literary revolution being distributed safely by drug stores/pharmacies. Towards the end of that century, through World War 1, and in the decades that followed, recreational drugs were banned (from public consumption).

Coincidentally, following the 1800s and a century of peace came the 1900s and a century of open (and closed) wars including ‘the war on drugs’ initiated by the USA in the 1980s. Since then, many countries have begun adopting acceptance of medicinal marijuana as legalization and decriminalization of many recreational drugs becomes the norm around the globe. However, most countries do not allow the media to report their changes on an international level. The USA wanted to be a global leader in tolerance of recreational drugs immediately following their (lost) war on drugs. As it stands, cannibis and other rec drugs are still illegal at the federal level while local laws permit medicinal and even legal recreational use in over half the country. Then, on May 24, 2017, Vermont Governor, Phil Scott, vetoed a bill that would have legalized marijuana recreationally in Vermont. Are we altogether on this? In Portugal, since 2001, all drugs are legal. Canada promised to fully legalize cannibis by Spring 2017 which is almost over?! Most eastern (European and Asian) countries now allow personal possession of anywhere from 1-2 grams to 20 or more of various rec drugs such as cocaine, crystal meth, and marijuana.

Not quite all, though, especially poor countries.

In 2016, Rodrigo Duterte became president of the Philippines. Since then he has promised to eradicate drugs from his country and has had his forces kill about 10,000 citizens (official number) to over 50,000 (unofficial), many done by a vigilante group, Davao Death Group, to which Duterte has often admitted having connections even though they target street children and other lost drug addicts of the system. Keep in mind that about 80 percent of rec drug use there is marijuana. Duterte did promise to focus on personalities of influence involved in drugs which added up to many mayors and other lower level politicians nobody has heard of (except in their local towns maybe). Not one celebrity or commercial name, though! The president has also encouraged citizens to murder drug dealers and drug users themselves.

A few months after Duterte took power and the death toll was already in the thousands, President Barack Obama cancelled his visit after being called the ‘son of a whore’ by Duterte. At a press conference on September 30, 2016, on his arrival in Davao City after a two-day official visit in Vietnam, Duterte appeared to make a comparison between the Drug War and The WW2 Holocaust. He said that ‘Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now there are three million drug addicts. I’d be happy to slaughter them.’ Mostly marijuana users!

At the beginning of October, a senior police officer told The Guardian that ‘special ops’ official police death squads had been operating, each consisting of 15 police officers. The one officer said that he had personally been involved in killing 87 suspects and described how the corpses had their head wrapped in masking tape with a cardboard placard labeling them as a drug offender so that the killing would not be investigated or they were dumped at the roadside as ‘salvage’ victims. Police killing drug dealers/users is rewarded (8000-15,000 pesos) as opposed to bringing them into custody under arrest (for trial) alive with no reward.

Duterte: ‘The human rights (defenders) say I kill. If I say: 'Okay, I'll stop', they will multiply. When harvest time comes, there will be more of them who will die. Then I will include you among them because you let them multiply.’ Amnesty International Philippines stated that Duterte was ‘inciting hate towards anyone who expresses dissent on his war against drugs.’ The National Alliance Against Killings Philippines stated: ‘His comment - that human rights is part of the drug problem and, as such, human rights advocates should be targeted too - can be interpreted as a declaration of an open season on human rights defenders’.

Some political supporters of Dutarte have proposed to lower the legal age of criminal responsibility from 15 to 9 years of age and, with that, bring back capital punishment.

Although China and Taiwan have both stated that such tactics would not be right for their countries, they did give their support for Duterte’s campaign and methods. More recently, Duterte jokingly remarked to military soldiers that they may rape women with impunity. Also, President Donald Trump has called Duterte to compliment him on his campaign. I could go on and on...
Philippine Drug War - Wikipedia

In any case, it is obvious that our state of maturity on an evolutionary scale (regarding drugs, war, murder, rape, and anarchy) is uglier than ever…and that is only slightly touching upon the last 120 years or so.

It seems to me that we cannot handle drugs on any scale and history offers the proof! It is not a war against drugs, it is the fact that we don't stop with war ('cause we/leaders are) on drugs. Any thoughts?

(sorry for the long post...it drives my wife (and therefore me) totally crazy!)
do not really care about drugs

Ayko
Ayko
that is good to know, i guess

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
It reads like some folk should be a bit more accepting towards other people and their beliefs. Drugs can be good for people, not all people but for some individuals as that drug may cause an adverse reaction in others, all drugs are like that.
People will react differently to the same product and the sooner that some doctors, physicians and surgeons recognize that the better.
My favourite example in situations such as this is: some folk eat peanut okay while others can be very allergic to them. I didn't see any aggressive behaviour but some folk did, so maybe we should all include statements like I think, or I'm sorry if this offends you it isn't meant to etc: as that may negate the need for long drawn out apologise and we can all get on with the serious business of kicking the crap out of the damned drugs and the quacks who hand them out.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Comparing it to peanut butter doesn't work. The peanut butter industry isn't paying people to push peanut butter as a necessary medicine crucial to health and happiness (Though come to think of it, I have heard of people wanting to ban PB because of someone allergic to it.)

And few people think psyche meds are sugar pills, but rather that the interest in those who make and prescribe them are about profit rather than helping, which especially in the United States it can lead to those who need them not getting them while those who don't need them--and can be harmed by them--getting them, sometimes even forced upon people, even children. It would be like pushing high blood pressure meds on as many people as possible for increased profits when it would damage many of those taking them (though the victims would be told they'd be worse off without such meds while those not harmed told to thank the meds that profited the industry), but blood pressure is something that can be objectively measured so pushing those like psyche meds would be far more liable to lawsuits than issues of mental illness that can't be tested for and measured in the same way.

Last edited:

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
thrasherpix,
you obviously don't understand what the word example means.
What I said in no way compares peanut butter to the drug industry.
It was an example of one persons reaction to what another persons reaction to the same thing is. The best known comparison is peanut butter. How some folk can eat it with no reaction and others need Intensive care.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Im not sure how long i've been med free now (probably logged in this thread but its a full moon and Im not reading over it lol) anyway, moodwise me off meds - shitton better.

I could go through a list of meds and tell ya how I reacted. I had the hang myself urge the day after ativan, in combination with many other meds. It was one of the better drugs for me, and I will never take it again. I never ever want to feel like that EVER again. I support short term meds if they are helping you deal. But never will I encourage lifelong drugging of emotion, especially emotion driven by physical trauma. I had been on SO many drugs. And accept peoples drug of choice but I wish I'd known the truth before believing doctors wanted to heal. What a joke that is now! What they told me in 2004 has been proven incorrect. I wonder where we will be in 2040 but it scares me to think of with the mass advertising/ brainwashing of medications/chemical imbalance for normal and reasonable human emotional reactions to (very often) actual physical distress. Plus I never crave alcohol now -ssris gave intense alcohol cravings.

Its hard to describe being long term drugged. Like being stuck in a dark fishbowl in my head. Now I can see, and what I mean by see is - I understand. Now I acknowledge and see (on xray/ultrasound) the real physical issues, I try not to be too harsh on myself for physical limitations. This obviously helps mood - acceptance of place. I also push these limitations more now, knowing the fatigue passes. It never passed when medicated. I felt always so heavy.All.The.Time. Its also OH so different to sleep! I havent had ptsd nightmares since last year. I wake naturally just before dawn and am outside asap. I get down when I cant work, but its not depression - its poverty.

The friends I had pre-meds are still there "happy you're back/home". The friends I met on meds say I've changed. Some dont want to know me now, and thats ok with me. My speaking is improving but fine motor skills are aged well above my actual age and the degeneration will continue due to damage. But I have the will and the way to care for myself now. I can hear what my body wants to cope with pain and distress- magic like Illyrian says :) the pain is still there but the emotional reaction is not - partly because Im not being gaslighted by the medical profession. They cant tell me my mind is sick anymore, I have fancy pictures to prove it ;)

Im not afraid of death, my biggest fear for myself and others, is to be placed for life back in the system. I hope that thought doesnt bring on nightmares!

thrasherpix

Scooby
thrasherpix,
you obviously don't understand what the word example means.
What I said in no way compares peanut butter to the drug industry.
It was an example of one persons reaction to what another persons reaction to the same thing is. The best known comparison is peanut butter. How some folk can eat it with no reaction and others need Intensive care.
It's true I find your posts surreal and somewhat incomprehensible, so I very well may have misunderstood you. To me, it sounds like you're comparing psyche meds to peanut butter, as if meds were like a nutritious food which doctors might recommend but a few people can have reactions to, rather than a chemical chemists aren't really sure about, which is then promoted in unethical ways (that should be illegal, unlike advertising for peanut butter).

In response, I was saying it's not so much the drugs themselves, but how they're pushed, and how shady the entire process is. Because so many people are suckered by this method (as they were by other psychological fads and abuses in previous decades), it's easy to become cynical of the entire process, and when everyone is peddling drugs (I even know a guy harmed by psyche meds who was put on them by his MD--I bet his MD got a kickback for pushing the pill--when he went in to have this thyroid checked) then one can react to the very presence of the drugs themselves, but it's still the shady processes involved. This is completely different from PBJs (though it's a scandal that any pharmaceutical company can advertise and urge you to talk to your doctor--who can also get kickbacks for promoting drugs--as easily as peanut butter companies can, and I'm glad that it's not legal in all countries, and wish it wasn't legal in any of them) and the fact that a "few have peanut allergies."

People can be allergic to any medication, but it's psyche meds specifically that are in question, not all drugs that can be better measured in their effects (and as a result, doctors can be more easily sued or prosecuted when they prescribe them inappropriately).

And speaking of the post immediately above mine ( @HoppyHippy ), I know someone close to me who takes Ativan (technically Lorazepam, but I think it's the same thing) and yet when she's on it she's more clumsy, and she makes a lot of stupid mistakes (sort of like being drunk). This makes her more anxious and even self-hating overall (much like when she self-medicated with alcohol). She's lucky in that she doesn't hallucinate or become suicidal the way some are known to do, but it's still affecting her adversely, but until I pointed out that much of what of the stupid mistakes and accidents that had her doubting herself were done under the influence of Ativan, it was a vicious circle: Ativan for the bad feelings, act drugged and do stupid things which creates more anxiety and thus more need for Ativan. She's cut back on it a lot and is wondering just how much the psyche meds themselves are the problem though it didn't even occur to her that they were the problem (as say a peanut allergy would be obvious), but she's scared to go off her meds because that can cause a lot of problems as well (unlike someone allergic to peanuts who goes off of peanut butter).

Back in the days of video rental stores, I saw a man unleash horrid verbal abuse on the man at the register and the young man stayed calm and professional (without showing fear), and I commended him on it. He then bragged of the psyche meds he was on and said all the others working there were on them. And yet for all their "help" none of them were working there in a few months, which I bet isn't a coincidence (even if their meds weren't being constantly fiddled with then they probably produced diminishing returns). If those employees were instead keeping calm with pot then many would say there's a lesson to be learned there (even though not everyone who does pot regularly becomes dysfunctional) but not for psyche meds.

Speaking of which, I know someone who replaced her psyche meds with cocaine and it was better for her (she was also going to med school and I know she became a doctor but lost contact with her...I'd love to know how she's doing now). The psyche meds made her cry (though she felt nothing) and also unmotivated, whereas she got things done under the influence of cocaine. She did try to talk to her doctor about her psyche meds, but even as a medical student everyone told her to trust the medicine and give it time with constant fiddling, but had she done so then she'd have to drop medical school as she wasn't functional (and wasn't surprised to hear of those people at the video store who weren't working there long). If even she is dismissed so they can sell her a monthly installment of happy pills, and unable to explain to her how they worked, then something is really wrong. I don't say this to promote cocaine, but to share one more of countless stories you won't hear in the paid advertisements.

What is also odd to me is that many of the same people who are skeptical of Wall Street, corporations, even drug making companies for anything other than psyche meds, can throw that skepticism out of the window when it comes to his one thing (even though it begs for abuse given how more subjective it is) as if it would be any different because it can't be objectively tested (through granted pharmaceutical companies test them, but given the details it's pretty shady, and again, people typically don't trust corporate research that promotes their products and/or says their products are harmless even when the tests can be done without a lot of leading questions being crucial to it).

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Illyrian is Aussie like me, we know words but speak funny :) Really I think we are all on a similar page in regard to medical harm. The Us system is so different because in OZ the drugs are heavily subsidised, and doctors are worshipped like gods. We dont have direct to consumer marketing but there are sneaky ways, free pens, samples, stress balls, mugs given out in psychiatric hospitals - but only the private rich ones... I noticed though, since the mates who met me on meds are gone - I see a lot more skepticism and cynisim towards the system from the people Ive know 25+ years. Its also interesting to have known women who were devastated as teens, told they could never have children without medical intervention and now they do, with far less issues than predicted. Psych isnt the only area that I think is dangerous, but it is the area I have peesonally suffered the most abuse. (The Mirena shit was pretty hardcore too but that was thats a worse story, actully as a revolving door inpatient for over 10 years I have had far worse experiences than what I have shared to this board. Some were deeply scarring and I appreciate when people acknowledge that for me as I often tell myself to harden up, like the group therapy teaches.)

whereas she got things done under the influence of cocaine

Thats why there are so many mothers on meth in this state. It gets the house clean, kids fed and hunger reduced. Money saver all round lol. No I dont do meth, but I was on dexamphetamine for years and years, paid for by the government. I have read trials about switching users off meth and onto dex... Like its beter cos its regulated?

I wanted to add after I posted last night- I am no longer on the cannabis extract either. It certainly assisted my withdrawal from psych meds. It definitely helps for nausea, pain and mood, but it is SO powerful that i choose to be cautious. Its lovely to know that I can likely source it in dying days. I can not even imagine a better relief while the body is dying. Now that I am so much better, I dont feel my body needs such a strong medicine. However I did twist my back and am sorta wishin for a nice lil smoko right now to stop the nausea so i can better deal with monday :p

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
thrasherpix,
the first line of your post was it's true I find your posts surreal and somewhat incomprehensible.
Never but never ask me to explain my posts to you as I might be tempted to use the same word.
It often depends on if it has rained or not,
rain make the plants leaves taste better when being smoked.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
thrasherpix,
the first line of your post was it's true I find your posts surreal and somewhat incomprehensible.
Never but never ask me to explain my posts to you as I might be tempted to use the same word.
He's a rebel. *smooch*

Ayko

Buffyverse Ambassador
According to wine authorities of SAWIS (SA Wine Industry Information and Systems...whatever that is), the global harvest of wine is the worst it has been in a decade or decades, they claim, due extreme winters and frost in wine producing regions. Everywhere, that is, except in Argentina. A very silly game!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Smoochies here! That's what happens if you try to read my intelligent drivel in the dark.
And as for the non-intoxicated among us, they make dumb assed statements about the
Global Harvest of Wine. Yeah, err now try to say about the global harvest of grapes.

Fan of early Status Quo music are you : When my mind is not live?

Ayko

Buffyverse Ambassador
Smoochies here! That's what happens if you try to read my intelligent drivel in the dark.
And as for the non-intoxicated among us, they make dumb assed statements about the
Global Harvest of Wine. Yeah, err now try to say about the global harvest of grapes.
ILLYRIAN, my friend, not all wine is made from grapes. Dumb-assed smoochies back ;)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Some in the local media are starting to see how deep this runs. We have had our first mass shooting since Howard banned the guns. These drugs are indescribably torturous for some.

Margaret River massacre: Depression drug clue to grandfather’s murder of family | PerthNow

The further I get from the ordeal - the WORSE it seems. It thought it impossible for life to improve on such a scale. Changes to the aussie system are happening. We now have more people addicted to prescription medication than those using street drugs. It cannot be ignored for much longer. I am so so so so so so so happy to be free! Some days I cannot believe how I survived such hideous inhumane treatment.

Ayko
Ayko
Congrats and respect! I wish you further wellness :)

thrasherpix

Scooby
I saw a handful of reports not too long ago on prescription medicine in general, and it runs through the entire industry. I found one of them again, the one by Vox that likes to give in depth explanations. It focuses on eye drops, but it includes medicines for everyone else as well:

Profit is the name of the game...and something I believe is considered a virtue in many parts of US life.

I figured this comment on the link between certain psyche meds and violence might also be appreciated, by one person anyway:

Psychiatric Drugs and Violence: A Review of FDA Data Finds A Link

I can't remember if I shared here about a friend of mine who experienced her mother locking herself in her room and shouting at the kids to stay away, and calling 911, saying she was about to murder her children. My friend overheard a paramedic saying, "Sometimes that happens."

Last edited:

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I have just figured out that I am intolerant to salicylates, like my father. Guess what the meds they gave me were packed full of?

It is so frustrating that doctors are so highly trusted where I live. I am starting to think they should make pharmacies a free for all and we choose our own cocktails to live on. So far, in my experience, its safer than trusting doctors to mix it for you! I know I have an infection right now too so that puts me in a corner with the medical system. grr.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
How do you recover from torture? The flashbacks have hit in full force since my latest revelation, Im not sure if this is part of working through it or something that will swallow me.

There are new flashbacks, things I remember but was not as distressed by - now I am. Those times when I said, over and over that the drugs were making me sick, and they used it as an excuse to keep me locked up for longer. All the threats of locked wards and ECT if I didnt comply, the time I was told I would be chemically restrained if I tried to leave the hospital - the times I WAS chemically restrained. What did I do that was so bad to deserve that? It was literal posion being pumped into me. I was not a murderer or criminal, I was heavily involved in childrens charity FFS.

This is gone too far over my head now - if I take this to a medical doctor, the horror causing heart problems, I can say goodbye to any freedom I had. Who do you turn to for relief? I feel my only answer now IS god. I rejected this modern way of life long before I accepted a creator. I guess I have learnt to not ask for help unless I know what the help is, I can hope for peace in death.

On top of this - it sucks that medicine rejects spiritual practice. Something I better go do now before I get lost in the memories again.

Top Bottom