• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Wisdom of War: Chapters 2-3

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
One completely tiny and insignificant thing that is bothering me about this book: the author keeps saying, "Buffy swore." When did we ever see her swear? lol

Also, I'm beginning to see what some of you guys were saying about all the description of Buffy's clothes. Why?

The two vignettes we had in these chapters, the fishermen and the scuba divers, were good enough but to me they seemed to go on much longer than they needed to. It's like they're trying to draw a short story out into a novel.

The biggest annoyance I have with these chapters however is that after Buffy talks to the one scuba diver, the author's like, "And all he wanted to do was go home and play video games." Um, isn't he going to the hospital to see if his friend is okay? lol!

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
What is the whole thing with Buffy in her sundress? Why was that such a focus in this chapter? This isn't the first time we've seen Buffy wearing a sundress - she literally went patrolling in a miniskirt and wedge sandals. I don't understand why Golden spent so long on this, it was very tedious reading 'sundress' or 'dress' every other word.

Another thing that I find tedious is Golden spending so much time on these - literal - throw away characters. This was something that the show never really did - in fact, I can only remember one time they did this, and it was with a character that they had actually introduced earlier in the episode. Everything that happened in these two chapters could have been condensed to one chapter, if the events of the boat, the girl on the beach, the scuba guys and Baker had been seen as a reaction through the main cast, rather than in the their own POV. It seems Golden went to the Dickensian school of writing - he gets paid by the word, lol.

But all of this just added up to two very boring chapters, which I think I remember from my first time reading it.

The only interesting bit about this - and I use that term loosely - was the scene with Spike.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
This reminds me of other Buffy novels, when we'd have people say or do things out of character! I agree that Buffy isn't a person who swears a lot... Faith, yeah, not Buffy.

It's an easy read but very slow at times. A lot of focus on people we don't know when we've had barely any time with the main cast. It does feel like season 3/4, mostly because the characters don't feel as mature as they were on screen in season 5.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I agree with the general concensus of it not getting the tv timeline character-wise.

I was interested in the crewman, the words help me imagine the scene. Sea monsters are scary cos I am at the beach a lot. I like the easy tone of it all, laid back rather than bombardment with important information.

Spike buying a ticket seemed strange to me. Why would he? I am glad they have some inside info, going to the books is boring.

Top Bottom