• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The writers mention Spike and Dru

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
We haven’t really seen much of Spike yet beyond Dan Mora’s character design. Can you hint at how these changes to Dru affect her relationship with Spike?

JB: Well, I think Spike is a sweetheart. He's a big old sweetie pie. I'm a big Team Spike. I really like Spike, and I think that he is a poet. I mean, imagine how a poet's gonna get on with a domineering lady in his life. It's probably not going to be super great for Spike. I don't think he's gonna have a lot of agency. I don't think he's gonna have a lot of his own say or control of things. So that's sort of the relationship I'm interested to explore.

I think maybe originally he kind of pretended that he was a bit more equal than I think he actually felt comfortable. I think we're gonna lean into the fact that he's an outsider, even among outsiders, especially near Dru.

At the end of the first issue, we get our first glimpse of Drusilla, who we know from promotion for the series is going by the title “The Mistress.” Can you talk about Dru’s role in the series and what that new name signifies about how she may be different from the TV version?

JB: Well again, I think like the reversal of Willow, I really liked Dru and her journey throughout the show and the books and stuff, and I really wanted to start her off strong and maybe a little brazen and arrogant. I think that her being a strong character and kind of being frightening, not because she's so unhinged because of what had happened to her in her history. I really wanted her to come off just completely like dominant, completely controlling, really frightening, just like The Master. Again, reversing the idea that there is a male antagonist to Buffy, but actually that her greatest foe could actually be a woman. That's sort of why we went with that for Dru. In my mind, I just want to see her starting off kicking ass, like right away.

I don't want us to think, "Oh poor Dru." I want to kind of be like, "I don't want to be in the same room with her at all. She's horrifying."

source

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Well, I think Spike is a sweetheart. He's a big old sweetie pie. I'm a big Team Spike. I really like Spike,
Lol, gees, tell us what you really feel. Don't be shy about it.

Spanky
Spanky
LOL I'm still laughing at your remark.
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Yeah I'm not sure... does she even like him?

Angel6

Potential
It’s everything I ever feared. But I’m gonna go with it and I’m still confident it’ll be a fun read.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Id be keen to hear your thoughts?
That he'll be more ruthless and hostile than later season Spike was, maybe even more than early Spike, to try to prove to himself and everyone else he belongs. That he will be posturing a lot more to show he is 'the big bad.'

Feeling like he is an inferior vampire could encourage him to act even more like an alpha vampire when not around Dru. Dru will put him in his place so he will want to prove his masculinity around a little girl named Buffy- who will consequently whip his butt, thus compounding his issues with Dru and his need to be accepted as her equal.

Angel6
Angel6
Good analysis. I hope they lean into that. If their doing something different with Angel maybe they have him as a prisoner like the wishverse (but my money is on Wood basically getting vamped mid relationship with Buffy and becoming Angelus)
W

WillowFromBuffy

I am always going to feel sorry for Dru. If she was chewing at my arm, I would be like, "Man, It must be hard being so fabulous."

It seems like the main difference between old and new Dru is that she will not have that sickness she had at the start of S2.

TriBel

Scooby
TBH, I'm really enjoying what I've seen so far - even though I vowed not to buy it).

That he'll be more ruthless and hostile than later season Spike was, maybe even more than early Spike, to try to prove to himself and everyone else he belongs. That he will be posturing a lot more to show he is 'the big bad.'
Could be - or it could be the inverse. It seems to me that they're doing what they literalised in DH with Giles - making the characters younger but giving them "personalities" associated with later seasons.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I’m happy I never bothered to read the comics. I won’t start now that’s for sure. The more I hear from these writers the more it sounds like “ I just love these characters so much, i just rather they were more badass!!! The women anyway!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!! 2019 y’all!!!!!!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I’m happy I never bothered to read the comics. I won’t start now that’s for sure. The more I hear from these writers the more it sounds like “ I just love these characters so much, i just rather they were more badass!!! The women anyway!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!! 2019 y’all!!!!!!
And yet it's 2019 and all of spike's problematic and misogynistic behavior don't seem to dissuade her from calling him a sweetheart. I just...

GraceK

Grr Arrg
And yet it's 2019 and all of spike's problematic and misogynistic behavior don't seem to dissuade her from calling him a sweetheart. I just...
Cause it’s bull crap. That monstrosity isn’t even Drusilla. The fact that they
think that her being a strong character and kind of being frightening, not because she's so unhinged because of what had happened to her in her history.
Really says it all. To them apparently being a strong feminist character and a real antagonist
For Buffy comes down to being scary and dominant and being a female Master. God forbid she stayed a layered female character with an intricate history. What makes original Drusilla is so timeless and fascinating is because shes psychically powerful, she embodies this deceptively feminine, ethereal quality that belies her true demonic nature. She’s deeply frightening because of her tortured psyche and her ability to hypnotize and draw people in. Her and Spike seemed to really balance each other, and while we always got the impression she was in fact the dominating presence in his life and the stronger of the two it wasn’t because she forced it that way.

And this idea of Spike as a snuggly puppy is really sickening. I love Spike as much as the next person but they seem to projecting the way they feel about Spuffy into how they see his character as whole. He did have a whole history before he met her and got his soul back. 🙄

@Spanky i wasn’t trying to quote you specifically up in this post , I was trying to highlight the part of your post where you were quoting the writers!!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
And this idea of Spike as a snuggly puppy is really sickening. I love Spike as much as the next person but they seem to projecting the way they feel about Spuffy into how they see his character as whole. He did have a whole history before he met her and got his soul back.
Agreed. But if they go down this path, anything he does without a soul will be under the auspices of him being controlled by Dru. Will that excuse him of all culpability and if so, what is the purpose of that? Anyway, we will see where they go with it and I will try (really really try) not to get ahead of myself but that does raise a ton of questions.

DayDreamer27

Potential
Yeah. The team Spike & sweetie pie comment is a deal-breaker fir me. A monster who took advantage of a PTSD woman, tore her down by calling her evil & depraved, then trying to rape her when she starts trying to get herself together. Yeah, he's so sweet & ever woman should want such a "man." Extreme sarcasm.

I got enough of the Spike fanboyism / fangirlism in the last series, and it's sounding even more obnoxious hete, which I didn't think possible.

So I know to bow out early.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Agreed. But if they go down this path, anything he does without a soul will be under the auspices of him being controlled by Dru. Will that excuse him of all culpability and if so, what is the purpose of that? Anyway, we will see where they go with it and I will try (really really try) not to get ahead of myself but that does raise a ton of questions.
On the TV show, Spike blames Angel for making him a monster.

white avenger

white avenger
So much Spike bashing, and he apparently hasn't even made an appearance yet. And all the folks who always said that they preferred evil Spike to chipped/ensouled Spike are gonna get their wish.

I just hope that they don't mess with good ol' Randy.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
On the TV show, Spike blames Angel for making him a monster.
When exactly?

Spike certainly sees himself as a victim, seems to think Angel was a victim too (per Damage). But I would say that a character's perception on his culpability is different from a story's text providing an escape clause on culpability, in general.

W

WillowFromBuffy

When exactly?

Spike certainly sees himself as a victim, seems to think Angel was a victim too (per Damage). But I would say that a character's perception on his culpability is different from a story's text providing an escape clause on culpability, in general.
In "Destiny," specifically, though he blames Angel for all other sorts of stuff as well.

Does this really matter, though? Aren't all vampires victims of their demonic nature? On the show, most of Spike's actions are motivated by a desire to please Drusilla, but we know that even if she wasn't around, he would still kill and maim, because it is in his nature to do so.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
In "Destiny," specifically, though he blames Angel for all other sorts of stuff as well.

Does this really matter, though? Aren't all vampires victims of their demonic nature? On the show, most of Spike's actions are motivated by a desire to please Drusilla, but we know that even if she wasn't around, he would still kill and maim, because it is in his nature to do so.
There is a distinction between the premise of "all vampires are evil they can't help it" versus "spike is NOT really evil as a vampire he is simply doing evil things because he is being forced to/pressured to/taught to in reality he is a warm fuzzy puppy if only he had been given the right upbringing if only he had been raised by some good and noble vampires that had taught him good manners and to only eat crickets"

W
WillowFromBuffy
Blegh! I couldn't love Spike if he started eating crickets.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
(And I'll qualify this with that I DON'T KNOW if this is the direction they are going. Maybe I'm super off base and these comments are not reflective of the direction of the story at all. I simply don't know.)

Top Bottom