• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Thinking back to when Buffy first started!

Nix

🤪
Sineya
So I've been asked by a friend what got me into Buffy and why did I first watch the show?
Personally my experience was like this...

My friend called me to say to watch out for an advert for a new show on tv that was right up my street called Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
So, I watched all the adverts on tv waiting for this one. It happened... I watched and she was correct, I was so excited and popped it into the calendar to watch the first episode. I mean, a vampire obsessed goth with a hint of a tv addiction, I was going to watch it!!

I impatiently awaited the first episode with excitement to find a new show to watch... OMG!! It was amazing, I was on the edge of my seat and never missed an episode after that. Every week without fail I'd be there waiting for the intro music to start, (rocking out on the chair and having a boogie to the music) excited to see what was next...

So my question to you is...
What was your personal experience of the first moments of watching the show? When, how why?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
I always knew of the show, but didn't start watching it until mid-2015. It was Angel that I was familiar with, so getting into Buffy was quite an eye opener.

It was Dark Willow, Anya, Glory's minions, and Tara whom I fell in love with initially. (My parents gave me the series for Chrismas, and I was hooked) I immediately loathed Xander, Dawn, Adam, and Riley. That hasn't changed much. 😂

S2-S5 Buffy was kick ass. Those are the discs that have the most wear.

Faded90

Scooby
Becoming was my first episode I watched when it first aired

I watched it with my cousins and must have annoyed them no end asking every two minutes ‘so he USED to be good?’ 😂 I spent nearly two hours watching Angel be an evil psychopath and somehow still ended up sobbing my heart out when Buffy killed him 😂 obviously had to wait months until I could really watch it again when S3 started. I think it’s why S3 is my favourite (although I genuinely believe it’s Buffy at its best) it’s my total comfy blanket, I was obsessed from that first episode

Reactions: Nix

Kratos

Scooby
I started watching the show after seeing it advertised in the GameMaster videogame magazine of all things. First episode I saw was Out of My Mind. It left an impression on me, but I only watched a few eps here and there from seasons 5 and 6 on tv3 Ireland around 2002/2003. Was more interested in other shows at the time. Didn’t really get into the series until 2009 when I started watching the first three seasons on Syfy UK.

Reactions: Nix

IndianaSolo221

Potential
I had seen bits and pieces of certain episodes when I was a kid, so I knew that BtVS and AtS existed, but in a sense of, "That's the weird show my Dad likes to watch." I didn't give it much thought.

That changed in 2010, when my Dad and I started bonding over binges of Angel. I hadn't seen enough of Buffy to make sense of all the details, but my Dad didn't mind...he loved answering questions, and to this day when I watch Angel, I think about him and all the times we sat in front of the old TV set digesting that day's episode.

I finally started BtVS in 2016 because I was already hooked on Angel, and I wanted to be able to make sense of it all. Now, BtVS is my favorite TV show...and that's how I landed here.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
My mom bought the DVD's, they were very expensive at the time and I refuse to lay a finger on them to this day.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I saw it when it first aired in 97. Myht first episode was IRYJ . I thought the show was meh until Spike arrived then I liked it but didn't think it was truly great until Passion and Jennys murder.

thrasherpix

Scooby
"Meh." Summed it up. I caught some 1st season episode in the middle, didn't get to watch it all the way through. While okay, it didn't pull me in, and I prefer vampire stories that lean to horror. People told me for years after that I should watch it, but the reasons they gave me weren't convincing.

Don't feel like recounting my experience when I gave it another chance years later and how I became a big fan of the series as it seems I've done that 2-3 times in the last month or so, and this is technically the first time, not when I gave it another chance by renting the first dvd for the series years later (and not expecting much).

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I had a thing for Luke Perry. So I watched the movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and thought it was fun but really silly (and not very well acted). Fast Forward a few years and there's a new tv series bases on said silly movie so I watched it and enjoyed. I really fell in love with the show when Spike knocked over the Sunnydale sign and when Cordelia and Xander started kissing in broom closets. The obsession grew from there.

Angel, I only ever saw the odd episode here and there, I tried to get into it when Spike joined in season 5 but didn't really understand what was going on. After I bought Buffy on DVD I decided i'd better get Angel too and watch it from the beginning. Love it too, but in a different way to BtVS

I stuck with the comics all through the Dark Horse seasons - it was patchy but you could recognise the characters in there. I gave the reboot by Boom Studios a go but i just didn't like it - it didn't feel like Buffy at all. I kinda hope the tv reboot falls over. I don't want to see the original show tarnished.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
You had a thing for Luke Perry - valid reason to watch a movie
Top Bottom