• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Those little moments in S6

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Ok, so this is sort of related to a previous thread, but this one is supposed to be more specific.

I love all of my Spuffy, beginning to the end, but I have particular love for S6 Spuffy, which gets understandable but sometimes unfair criticism. Yes, it gets really dark, and it is often mutually abusive. However, upon my (many, I have no life) rewatches, I just realised there were all those little gems of genuine affection and connection, which only add even more layers and complexity to their relationship.

So I suppose my question would be, which are your favourites ?

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think a lot of their sweetest moments in season 6 came before Once More, With Feeling. They had a lot of moments together where Buffy opened up to him about her feelings and Spike comforted her (the scene that comes to mind is when Buffy is talking about how she's spending all her time trying to be okay so the others don't worry, and Spike jokes "you want me to take them out?" to make her laugh). It was really easy to see their connection in those episodes, which made their relationship through the season that much more believable for me.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
Haha, this is going to be long because not too far back I'd done a rewatch - I have a list for practically each episode! Lol. Let's see:

Afterlife: Spike's joy at seeing Buffy, counting the days since she died, the "every night I save you" speech, how he's the only one she can talk to.
Flooded: his offer to "thin the crowd a bit" makes her smile, he's supportive in all the ways she needs at this point.
Life Serial: Spike trying to integrate Buffy into his world. It's genuine and heartfelt, if a little heartbreaking. The kitten poker scenes are hilarious. Also, just the way he looks at her when she scrunches up her face in disgust after a swig of alcohol.
OMWF: Everything
Tabula Rasa: One of the best Spuffy kisses ever. And you clearly see an attraction between Randy and Joan.
Smashed, Wrecked, Gone are all my favourite Spuffy rich episodes and I love each of them for showing a new side to how passionate they are as people. I love how explosive they are together.
Doublemeat Palace: Spike is genuinely trying to support/help Buffy because she clearly looks so unhappy. He offers help in any way he can.
Dead Things: I love their touching conversation after sex. I love the vulnerable light both characters are shown in. I love how Spike tries so hard to protect Buffy's interests. It's a heartbreaking episode for both, especially how she beats him up, but even in this darkest of episodes, I see love/yearning.
Older and Far Away: All the flirting and humour.
As You Were is probably my least favourite episode (both for Buffy in general, and for Spuffy in particular) because of how awful Riley's return makes Buffy feel, and how that makes her treat Spike, so this one not so much, but there are still sweet moments between them that I love.
Hell's Bells: Everything about their interaction!
Entropy: I love the extreme vulnerability we see with Spike's heartbreak. He's in tears as he's discussing his feelings about "this girl" (Buffy) with Anya and they come together for solace. I felt sorry for both Anya and Spike here, and it's gut wrenching to see how heartbroken he is.
Seeing Red is super difficult to watch but it's an episode meant to raise the stakes and portray life at its grimmest, from the shooting of Tara to the AR scene. Buffy admits she has feelings for him as Spike comes to apologize to her about the Anya thing. I still take comfort in the fact that Spike was horrified after his loss of control and it was a turning point for him, he leaves his coat behind and it's a spring board for literal soul searching.
Villains, Two to Go and Grave are inspiring from a Spuffy standpoint because they show how determined Spike is to change and will undergo any trial.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Great breakdown @SunnydaleGlitz
There are some tiny elements that also point out some genuinely 'light' or sweet moments even in the darkest period of their affair : off the top of my head, in Normal Again Spike tells Willow and Xander to put some ice in the back of Buffy's neck because "she likes that" ; Similarly his admitting having a 'sexy dance' to Anya, or just the general amount of casual conversation they seem to have had (ie : Buffy saying Billy Idol stole his look from Spike).

These are really small things but they do highlight a sweetness in the relationship that we don't get to see much on screen.

debbicles

Music is what makes life amazing
In Hell's Bells I like the moment when Buffy briefly looks sideways at him while strongarming Xander's dad away from trouble. It's as though she has already sussed out he's there and is just checking him out. And letting him know she's doing it.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
In All The Way, they will train or go slay vampires together like buddies in the beginning of that episode Spuffy is great. Buffy misunderstood what he meant lol.

Serenityrose

Townie
Lots of great moments already listed.

I love season 6. I loved it when it aired, I loved it now. It's a frustrating season for me as a Spuffy fan because I so badly wanted them to get it right, but the circumstances just made it impossible. Neither were ready and it led to some really bad decisions and dark moments. What made it compelling was scenes like the back porch scene in Flooded or in Hell's Bells.. you saw that there was a true connection there and true feelings.

To add to the list..
It's not exactly a Spuffy moment but it was a moment where I realized that despite herself Buffy had come to care for Spike (even post SR)

When she brings Dawn to Spike's and finds Clem there. Clem tells her Spike left town

Per the shooting script:
Buffy takes this in, pained despite herself

Buffy heads to the door, pauses briefly, feeling Spike's absence

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
The bandaging up her hand, and the little talk on them digging their way out of the grave

The scene where Buffy tells Spike she was in Heaven.

Serenityrose

Townie
I love the way he takes care of her hands too and the way he looks at her as she walks down the steps.

Afterlife shooting script:

'He's just looking at her, lost in it, he pulls back'

'Spike leads Buffy to the sofa. They sit. Spike reaches for her hands and we see that his own are shaking. He takes her hands but he doesn't look at them. Just holds them and looks at her face.'

Cut scene:
Spike emerges from the house. He looks fine as he steps off the porch, starts to cut across the lawn, but when he reaches the tree he stops, leans his back against it .. He starts to cry.
:(

Top Bottom