• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tips & Techniques for Photoshop/Paintshop Pro

A

Allycat

@Cordelia, how do you make that 'over-lighted' effect?

Willow Rosenberg

I might be just like you!
Allycat - To make the 'over-lighted' effect I just use the brushes making sure that the colour I have selected is white, then instead of having them normal I alter it to Colour Dodge and voila! It gives that 'light' effect - you can do this on both Adobe Photoshop and Paintshop too. :) You can also vary the degree of brightness but changing the % from 100 to less if you require the light to be not so bright etc

Originally posted by BuffyUKer
lol cordy, your banermaking skills are great!? eva considered makin a lil staked thread on a how2 for newbi banner makers? you could show/tell how to work photoshop and stuff. an people can submit their own skills and techniques in various programs they use. i realy should get back into making banners! your work is pretty good motivation!

umm also...HELP! ive just got Adobe Photoshop and im a little more lost. ive been looking at tutoirals on making special effects and it amazes me what Photoshop can do. but i cant make banners how do i get Jpg images in my banner? it jst dosent seem to be working for me.
Thanks for the compliment!!

It's a good idea although I don't class myself as expert enough to tell others how to do stuff - I'm still picking up how to do stuff all the time too. ;) I'm sure that there are plenty of other skilled graphics members on here to that would be willing to share their advice/know-how on the graphics front so I will create a thread and stake it in here for us all to use and exchange tips etc. :)

A

Allycat

Originally posted by Cordelia
Allycat - To make the 'over-lighted' effect I just use the brushes making sure that the colour I have selected is white, then instead of having them normal I alter it to Colour Dodge and voila! It gives that 'light' effect - you can do this on both Adobe Photoshop and Paintshop too. :) You can also vary the degree of brightness but changing the % from 100 to less if you require the light to be not so bright etc
If I do it at 100 % the whole picture turns white. If I do it at 50, it does get brighter, but not the fuzzy thing.

Willow Rosenberg

Originally posted by Allycat
If I do it at 100 % the whole picture turns white. If I do it at 50, it does get brighter, but not the fuzzy thing.
What I tend to do is use one of my brushes - I have downloaded quite a few good ones most of them I have used on my banners just recently - that way then when you paint with one of the brushes on colour dodge the whole pic doesn't turn white but just looks as though it's been lighted up.

This is an example of using a brush, colour chosen white, on colour dodge at 100 %.

and here's the same pic but using 50%

A

Allycat

That's not the effect I ment, I mean getting Giles looking all fuzzy, just like ur kids, they look ... no offence, fuzzy!

Willow Rosenberg

Tips & Techinques for Photoshop/Painstshop Pro

As suggested by BuffyUker, I have posted this thread so that all us graphic loving' members can post and share all our tips and techniques for how to achieve different sorts of effect etc when using either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.

Perhaps if people know of good resource sites too, such as places to download brushes/textures/backgrounds etc then they could PM me and I can add them into this post so they are all in one place and easy for us all to find and share. :)

Nocturna - great for grunge brushes for Adobe Photoshop
Misprinted Type - More Photoshop Brushes to download (Under Airbag in the Menu)
VBrush - A really great site with brushes to download plus links/search engine for even more resources for Photoshop!
Anotherbrushresoucre.com

Willow Rosenberg

Ooooooo.............'lol' Sorry. Oh, that's really easy to do.;)

Just :-
  1. Filter
  2. Gaussian Blur - range between 1-3 depending on how fuzzy/blurry you want - most often I use 3.;)
  3. Edit
  4. Fade Gaussian Blur
  5. Hard Light or Soft light depending on the look you want - sometimes screen works well as well if you want a softer, fuzzy light look.

Let me know if that works for you but it is what I used on the Passion banner with Giles and also the banner with my kids on. :)

A

Allycat

Right that's the one, I figured the first two steps. What exactly does the fade option do?

BuffyUKer

...~#HEAT#~...
hmmm this is a dope question but i dont know how to get an image into the canvas :( if you could tell me how id be greatfull :)

Willow Rosenberg

It sort of gets rid of the real blur and gives it a sort of glossy look - that's using either the hard or soft light option when fading - without fading it just looks really blurry and you can't really make out any definition in the image. I have tried fading using the other effetcs such as multiply/screen/colour burn etc and they all give different effects, some better than others depedning on the look you are after - guess it's a case of trial and error. :D

A

Allycat

Thanks Cordy

@BuffyUKer: Select the image, by clicking on it. (Thus selecting it as an object) Then Edit > Free Transform and then change it's size. If you hold down the shift button, while doing this, the picture will keep it's proportions and will merely scale. If you have space left in the picture, you can do Image > Crop to remove it. You can alter the canvas size, by Image > Canvas Size.

Willow Rosenberg

Originally posted by BuffyUKer
hmmm this is a dope question but i dont know how to get an image into the canvas :( if you could tell me how id be greatfull :)
My preference is to always create a blank canvas to work on - as in make a new image, then I just open all the images I intend to use on it - then what you have to do is to drag the images into your 'canvas' - to do this make sure that the image you want to drag is the one you are clicked on, for want of a better word, then along the tools at the left hand side, you click on the top left hand tool - the one with the little arrow and cross, then basically just click and drag your image onto your canvas.

It's very easy once you know how - when I first had Photshop I expected it to work like Paintshop Pro and this one was of the things I had to get used to 'lol'

Edited to say See why I don't think I would be good at explaining how to do things 'lol' Allycat simplified way better than I did! :D

BuffyUKer

...~#HEAT#~...
lol! thanx you two that helped alot :)

Edit : and now here is my first photoshop tutorial :D Snow effect

ok i figure a step by step is the simple wasy to explain the how2

initial image

01. File > New (contents - set to transparent)
02. Set the fourground colour to black ([HASHTAG]#000000[/HASHTAG])
03. Filter > Noise > Add noise (set 'Amount' to 70% - 'Distribution' to Gaussian and make sure the 'Monochromatic' box is checked)
04. Filter > Blur > Gaussian blur (make the 'Radius' 1.5 pixels)
05. Image > Ajustments > Levels ('input levels' 90 - 1.00 - 120... 'Output levels' 0 - 255)
06. Edit > Define Pattern (name it snow or something)
07. Open the image that you want to have snow on.
08. Paint bucket tool > (Fill - 'Pattern' {select your 'Snow' pattern} Mode - 'Screen')

end result -

thats it! easy as pie :D it can be done it 10seconds if you know what your doing.

BuffyUKer

...~#HEAT#~...
*shock* is that surpost to be, well, orgazmic gooey stuff mr.AshSan!?... you now what... dont answer that! lol

Top Bottom