• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Tokyo Olympics 2020/21

Mr Trick

Scooby
Finally its here! What a shame he fans can't be there. I do understand that decision, but it won't quite be the same without them.

The action actually kicks off Weds (two days before the opening ceremony). With events in the Football (Team GB who will be taking the knee) against Chile. Also Baseball and softball (wait what's the difference?! ;) ) will start on Weds.

The new events for this year are Skateboarding, Surfing, Karate

Thoughts what are you looking forward to?

TriBel

Scooby
Thoughts what are you looking forward to?
Cycling and rowing/sailing...boaty stuff...we usually manage to win something 😏 ...plus athletics.
Team GB who will be taking the knee
Well at least without fans Doris won't get confused about whether he's condoned booing or not. Condoned/condemned...sound similar if you say them fast. 🙄

Is skateboarding new? Didn't we flop at that last Olympics?

Mr Trick

Scooby
Cycling and rowing/sailing...boaty stuff...we usually manage to win something 😏 ...plus athletics.

Well at least without fans Doris won't get confused about whether he's condoned booing or not. Condoned/condemned...sound similar if you say them fast. 🙄

Is skateboarding new? Didn't we flop at that last Olympics?

According to the BBC website its new. It might be that they've expanded upon it this time. I know they mention having street and non-street or something like that?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Team GB who will be taking the knee

I don't think they should take the knee, especially due to its association with a certain racist organisation. I know that during the Euros, Gareth Southgate said that they weren't doing it in the name of that racist organisation but against racism in football in general. however there is no denying that the whole gesture has become synonymous with that racist organisation. That's why fans were booing when the team were taking the knee, not because they were against ending racism in football, but because the team shouldn't be bowing down to the whims of that racist organisation which is spreading hatred and division of its own whilst trying to masquerade as innocent.

I think I read somewhere that Japan have banned the athletes from wearing any clothing associated with that racist organisation as well as other activism groups. Good on Japan! Agendas that spread hate and division should have no place in sport.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
No its a universial gesture against racism. I have no idea what group you are talking about. Taking the knee started when the NFL players did it as stand against a certain former US president.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I kind of feel there are too many events. That said I'm looking forward to Basketball, track and field and indoor volleyball

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
T
thrasherpix
If the rumor is true then I doubt they had passionate sex before (or have an extremely limited imagination). Still, love to show them the Spuffy scene of bringing the house down just to give them nightmares! :-D

Mr Trick

Scooby
Also if Djorkovic or "JOKEOVIC" as a certain broadcaster would call him might be one of the big stories.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'll definitely have a browse. Nice to have sport on. A lot of dull stuff to avoid though, swimming, cycling, sailing etc.

Glad they'll be taking the knee. Thought it was becoming a bit redundant in the premiership but since the crowd have returned it's becoming more clear why it's still needed and a powerful gesture.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'll definitely have a browse. Nice to have sport on. A lot of dull stuff to avoid though, swimming, cycling, sailing etc.

Glad they'll be taking the knee. Thought it was becoming a bit redundant in the premiership but since the crowd have returned it's becoming more clear why it's still needed and a powerful gesture.

I get what you mean about those sports. But then its part of the novelity value of the Olympics that you can enjoy sports you wouldn't bother with the rest of the year. I remember somehow getting caught up in the Curling a few years back, its such a weird spectcle it becomes engrossing. Plus it nice to have easy to watch sports on in the background. Looking forward to checking out some Skateboarding and proving I am down with the kids! :D

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Looking forward to checking out some Skateboarding and proving I am down with the kids! :D
The GB team entry is just school children I think. Hope Tony Hawk is there with them.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah think he has a real shot at Gold from what I hear.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Mr Trick
No its a universial gesture against racism. I have no idea what group you are talking about. Taking the knee started when the NFL players did it as stand against a certain former US president.

Nobody cared about Kaepernick kneeling apart from criticising him for being disrespectful to the American national anthem. It was only last year because of a certain racist organisation that the whole taking a knee has gone full blown, ergo the taking a knee gesture has become synonymous with that racist organisation. That is why the fans were booing when the England squad took the knee, it's seen as bowing down to that racist organisation which is trying to infest its ideology where it doesn't belong.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yes, but last year proved that racism is still a big problem in the world that's why we should support BLM.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
@Mr Trick "Taking the knee started when the NFL players did it as stand against a certain former US president."
Not to go off topic but that is certainly not what happened or what they were taking a knee against. They started taking the knee when Obama was president, and I don't think that was the certain former president that you were referring to.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
The purpose of nfl players taking the knee, according to them, was to protest systemic racism, to call attention to social inequalities and to protest police brutality in black communities.

Spanky
Spanky
it wasn't started as a protest against a president, more to the point

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The purpose of nfl players taking the knee, according to them, was to protest systemic racism, to call attention to social inequalities and to protest police brutality in black communities.

The irony of course being that both the NFL and NBA are made up of predominately black players who are earning millions and yet the players complain they get treated unfairly because of the colour of their skin. They're not rushing to help their black communities, they'd rather just virtue signal and complain about how life is unfair as they cash their million dollar cheques.

The police spend most their time in black communities because that is where a disproportionate amount of crime is (50% of America's crime is committed by black criminals). Even when the police save the life of a black person about to be stabbed by a black criminal, certain black athletes are rushing to defend the criminal because of their skin colour and demonise the police officer because of his skin colour, rather than praising the officer for saving the life of the black would-be victim, all because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The irony of course being that both the NFL and NBA are made up of predominately black players who are earning millions and yet the players complain they get treated unfairly because of the colour of their skin. They're not rushing to help their black communities, they'd rather just virtue signal and complain about how life is unfair as they cash their million dollar cheques.

The police spend most their time in black communities because that is where a disproportionate amount of crime is (50% of America's crime is committed by black criminals). Even when the police save the life of a black person about to be stabbed by a black criminal, certain black athletes are rushing to defend the criminal because of their skin colour and demonise the police officer because of his skin colour, rather than praising the officer for saving the life of the black would-be victim, all because it doesn't fit the narrative.

And your point is? Racism doesn't suddenly go away because there's lots of black players earning good money as NFL stars. Those players should be prised for taking a stand. Taking the knee is just a gesture I agree. There needs to be more done. At least its a gesture which has united people and is a clear message. To get back to those idiots at Wembley they didn't give one second thought to what they were doing when they booed. They had no idea where the gesture came from originally, other than it was a anti-racist gesture.

If you choose to believe that white people are the real victims then I feel sorry for you. That's not the world we live in. Just ask those England players who were abused online just for the colour of their skin.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I don't know what the split is like for the booing. How many are proudly racist and how many have been convinced that Groucho Marx is on the verge of taking over the world.

I'm old enough to remember people hanging their hat on "drugs or something" when confronted with video evidence of a man's neck being knelt on for 10 minutes.

Peoples desperation to believe the world is now perfect is almost hilariously tragic.

TriBel

Scooby
Southgate and the FA have said over and over that taking the knee is not an affiliation with any organisation but still a small section of England's fans see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

A statement from the FA ahead the Romania game (I'm presuming the sentiment stands for the Olympics) : "Ahead of today's game, our players will once again take the knee as a show of solidarity with the Black community, including members of our squad who themselves continue to suffer abuse on a regular basis. Skysports

That's it- racial abuse - absolutely no mention of political groups or any other organisation including the police. Surely no-one can deny our black players aren't racially abused - particularly when they miss penalties. Beckham was abused horribly after he was red carded in 98 but I don't recall any reference to the colour of his skin or suggestions he should go back to his own country. Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold and Naby Keita received racist emojis on Instagram in April, as did Brentford's Ivan Toney...all before the the tirade launched at Rashford, Saka and Sancho after the Italy match?

Claiming the booing expressed dissatisfaction with a racist ideology doesn't really explain why a section (I stress section) of the crowd were booing national anthems; singing 10 German bombers and abusing a young German girl for crying.

Natalie Elphicke, Conservative MP for Dover: “They lost – would it be ungenerous to suggest Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game and less time playing politics”.

"Politics" in this case referring to Marcus Rashford gifting Christmas boxes to the homeless; raising 20 million through Fareshare; topping the list for charitable donations; helping out in food-banks; starting a Book Club for disadvantaged youngsters and causing the UK Government to U turn several times on feeding poor children. If you want to talk about virtue signalling or gesture politics then look to our own hypocritical government (particularly the ones who look bloody silly in an England shirt that probably still has the price tag in it).

Never once has Rashford complained life's unfair (quite the opposite). As a black man from a low-income family in Wythenshawe, Manchester, I could have been just another statistic. Instead, due to the selfless actions of my mum, my family, my neighbours, and my coaches, the only stats I’m associated with are goals, appearances and caps. I would be doing myself, my family and my community an injustice if I didn’t stand here today with my voice and my platform and ask you for help.

I'm glad both women's and men's teams are taking the knee - it makes me far prouder of this country than an idiot wrapped in the flag with a flare up his bum.

Returning to the topic:
I kind of feel there are too many events.
Probably...at the risk of evoking cultural stereotypes, I'm a bit suspicious about Japan's motives for adding karate. 😒 😄

A lot of dull stuff to avoid though, swimming, cycling, sailing etc.
😮 How can cycling be dull? It's an experience - a learning experience...I've still to learn what the Madison is! How is this not exciting?

Sailing - gotta admit - I don't get that but rowing's great. Admittedly not as great as when I knew Steve and Matthew would be there but, in mitigation, I'm old.

I'm opening a book on the odds of GB dropping the baton...

Top Bottom