• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Tokyo Olympics 2020/21

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Mr Trick
Yes, but last year proved that racism is still a big problem in the world that's why we should support BLM.

Why would anyone support a racist organisation that commits arson and looting regularly (enough to cause millions of pounds worth of damage during a pandemic), that destroys people's livelihoods (including that of black people) through said arson and looting (because the business owners can't afford repairs), that doesn't give a crap about black communities unless it's black criminals that can be used to serve the narrative, that wants to abolish the police (black communities call the police most often for help), that want to "disrupt" the nuclear family, and doesn't send the donated money where it is supposed to go.

And your point is? Racism doesn't suddenly go away because there's lots of black players earning good money as NFL stars.

A country that is supposedly "systemically racist" doesn't pay millions of dollars a game to people it is supposedly "systemically racist" against. If it did then that country clearly has no understanding of what racism actually is, that or the people crying racism have no understanding of what actual racism is because as far as they're concerned everything is "racist" and they're trivialising actual racism as a result.

Those players should be prised for taking a stand.

Except they're not standing up to something, they're kneeling down before it.

Taking the knee is just a gesture I agree. There needs to be more done.

Racially discriminating against a different group, which is becoming a recurring theme, is not the answer.

Telling a group that they are victims merely because of the colour of their skin is not the answer.

Glorifying criminals because of their skin colour is not the answer.

Actually dealing with the root cause of the problems within the black community (which would improve things dramatically) will not be done because there is no gain to be made from it for certain groups and the racist organisation.

At least its a gesture which has united people and is a clear message.

We have very different definitions of the word unite.

To get back to those idiots at Wembley they didn't give one second thought to what they were doing when they booed. They had no idea where the gesture came from originally, other than it was a anti-racist gesture.

Anti-racist doesn't mean non-racist anymore than anti-clockwise means the clock has stopped. The hands are still going round, just in a different direction.

Anyone claiming to be "anti-racist" is just racist towards white people. They're not non-racist. There's a difference. Racism is still racism, no matter what colour it's aimed at.

Also it's worth pointing out that the swastika didn't originate with another famous racist group, however they adopted it and it became synonymous with them. So regardless of where "taking the knee" originally came from, it has been adopted by the racist organisation and become synonymous with them.

If you choose to believe that white people are the real victims then I feel sorry for you. That's not the world we live in. Just ask those England players who were abused online just for the colour of their skin.

I feel sorry for you when you choose to take a particular tone to others who dare disagree with you. Racism is bad in all it's forms, no matter what colour skin group it's aimed at.

The racist organisation likes to demonise one colour skin group whilst victimising another, they're all about judging people on the colour of their skin and not the content of their character.

Online abuse is terrible in all its forms and there is no legitimate reason for why skin colour (or any other biological trait) should ever be a part of it. There will always be racist arseholes within football, however the racist organisation is actually making things worse for black people by basing a person's value on the colour of their skin rather than the choices they make. Criticising a person who just so happens to be black is not racist, criticising a person because they're black is.

Given how biased mainstream media can be with their narratives, it might be worth questioning how much of the "online abuse" (which may be used to describe anything from genuine criticism to actual abusiveness) was actually "racist" (as in making a point of referring to the players by their skin colour or posting something in reference to their skin colour) and how much was actually criticising players who just so happened to be black but the mainstream media has deemed racist because they're black.

Apparently freezing out 'taking the knee' is awful important to some folks . All the complaining about it only reinforces the need to keep doing it . In a normal world , it should just be an uncontroversial symbol .

Kneeling is a submissive gesture, add in the fact the gesture is synonymous with a certain racist organisation and that's when it becomes an issue. It becomes a sign of bowing down to the racist organisation.

I don't know what the split is like for the booing. How many are proudly racist and how many have been convinced that Groucho Marx is on the verge of taking over the world.

And how many just don't support a racist organisation that goes around committing crimes, hating on the police, and demonises one colour skin group whilst victimising another colour skin group?

The racist organisation has weaponised the word "racist" to use against anybody who doesn't agree with them. "if you don't support us then you must be racist. If you don't want to be called racist, then you must support us".

It should be noted that there is a massive difference between the sentiment and the racist organisation even though they share the same name. Non-racists have no issue with the sentiment because they treat all people equally, skin colour doesn't factor into how they view people.

Tons of people have issue with the racist organisation and for many legitimate reasons. However the racist organisation is cowardly enough to try and hide behind the sentiment and claim lack of support for the racist organisation is akin to lacking support for the sentiment. The two should not be conflated together.

I'm old enough to remember people hanging their hat on "drugs or something" when confronted with video evidence of a man's neck being knelt on for 10 minutes.

Putting this under spoiler tag because I want to reply to this even though it's not "on topic" and it's a bit of a dicey subject.

Lack of oxygen was not the cause of death. When the defence tried to argue that carbon monoxide could've been a contributing factor due to the man's head being near the exhaust pipe of the police car (and carbon monoxide bonds to the blood cells thus limiting the transportation of oxygen around the body), the prosecution were quick to bring back test results that showed that the man's blood was fully oxygenated. Ergo oxygen supply was not cut off by kneeling on the neck (though such a maneuver, which was apparently in the police handbook at the time and thus officers were trained to do, shouldn't be used because of the risk factor). Also if you're talking, you're breathing. It's why a person choking makes very little noise, if any at all, because their airway is obstructed. Given that both fentanyl (at 3 times the lethal level) and amphetamine (don't mix drugs) were found in the man's blood, plus his enlarged heart as well as his heart medical history (narrowing of the arteries which meant reduced blood flow which means the heart has to work harder to pump blood around the body), a heart attack caused by said drugs is the more likely culprit. Chest pains can translate to "I can't breathe" even though breathing is happening. Medical assistance was called as per protocol but took longer than normal to get there, even a witness for the prosecution admitted this.

A fair trial was never an option with that case due to the high running emotion and narrative surrounding it.

Peoples desperation to believe the world is now perfect is almost hilariously tragic.

The world isn't perfect but it is not as "systemically racist" as some people like to claim.

Southgate and the FA have said over and over that taking the knee is not an affiliation with any organisation but still a small section of England's fans see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

A statement from the FA ahead the Romania game (I'm presuming the sentiment stands for the Olympics) : "Ahead of today's game, our players will once again take the knee as a show of solidarity with the Black community, including members of our squad who themselves continue to suffer abuse on a regular basis. Skysports

That's it- racial abuse - absolutely no mention of political groups or any other organisation including the police.

Again though, it's the synonymity with the racist organisation. Much like I said above, the swastika did not originate with the nazis, it was originally a hindu symbol for peace and prosperity, however the nazis got a hold of it and now it is synonymous with them. The same is true of the "taking the knee" gesture. You can claim it has nothing to do with the racist organisation and mean it, however because it is synonymous with them, it will always be associated with bowing down to the racist organisation.

Why don't the players just link arms aka they're standing arm in arm with each other against racism? That would be a much more symbolic gesture than kneeling which is a submissive gesture and, given its association with the racist organisation, becomes a racial one. You STAND against racism, you don't KNEEL before it.

Surely no-one can deny our black players aren't racially abused - particularly when they miss penalties. Beckham was abused horribly after he was red carded in 98 but I don't recall any reference to the colour of his skin or suggestions he should go back to his own country. Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold and Naby Keita received racist emojis on Instagram in April, as did Brentford's Ivan Toney...all before the the tirade launched at Rashford, Saka and Sancho after the Italy match?

Racism is a problem in football and has been for a while, but again, the synonymous nature of the taking the knee gesture with the racist organisation is not helping matters one iota. I also think the racist organisation is having an adverse effect on black people in that, because the racist organisation is making everything about race, it starts to look like race is a factor in certain decisions rather than merit.

As far as I know, so correct me if I'm wrong, Raheem Sterling hasn't received any racist abuse so anger at the three black players is based more on the missed penalties rather than the colour of their skin (though that's not denying that some people are being racist towards them). Given how biased mainstream media can be, it is worth questioning what they class as "abuse" and what they are considering racist based on the players' skin colours. Criticising someone who just happens to be black is not racist, criticising someone because they're black or making reference to their race within the criticism or in general is. Also abuse is abuse obviously.

I've also read somewhere that the majority of the racist abuse is actually coming from abroad rather than from within the UK (though some of it is). Whilst the majority of the UK is disappointed with the missed penalties, it's only the minority that are being racist arseholes.

Claiming the booing expressed dissatisfaction with a racist ideology doesn't really explain why a section (I stress section) of the crowd were booing national anthems; singing 10 German bombers and abusing a young German girl for crying.

The mocking of the German girl was out of line. As for the other stuff against Germany, there was always going to be something because of World War 2. There's the whole "don't mention the war" level of rivalry there.

Natalie Elphicke, Conservative MP for Dover: “They lost – would it be ungenerous to suggest Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game and less time playing politics”.

"Politics" in this case referring to Marcus Rashford gifting Christmas boxes to the homeless; raising 20 million through Fareshare; topping the list for charitable donations; helping out in food-banks; starting a Book Club for disadvantaged youngsters and causing the UK Government to U turn several times on feeding poor children. If you want to talk about virtue signalling or gesture politics then look to our own hypocritical government (particularly the ones who look bloody silly in an England shirt that probably still has the price tag in it).

I think people just want their sports stars to focus on the sport, not start lecturing them on something. That goes for all sports stars and celebrities, not just footballers. Did the 3 penalty takers even play during the game or were they brought on just to take the penalties because that in itself could've affected things since they didn't get time to get into stride.

Never once has Rashford complained life's unfair (quite the opposite).

And that's good. He's worked hard to get where he is and he deserves the rewards of doing so. He's not saying "I'm getting paid millions of dollars per game but I have no privilege because of the colour of my skin!"

Rashford can be a positive male role model, not just exclusively for black kids. He made choices that enabled him to succeed and that's what needs to be taught to the younger generations: Don't just cry victim because it's easier than putting actual effort in. Work hard, make sensible choices, and success* will come.

*Success doesn't necessarily mean world wide fame.

I'm glad both women's and men's teams are taking the knee - it makes me far prouder of this country than an idiot wrapped in the flag with a flare up his bum.

That's hardly a fair comparison- a submissive gesture synonymous with a racist organisation or an idiot with a flare up his backside.

I don't think the teams should kneel, either come up with a new gesture or just don't do it.

Mind you, at least they're not a) doing it during the national anthem, and b) making a real song and dance about it so kudos to them for that.

Returning to the topic:

Probably...at the risk of evoking cultural stereotypes, I'm a bit suspicious about Japan's motives for adding karate. 😒 😄

Maybe they're just trying to fill up time? Are they still having the big opening ceremony or will it be more low key?

Last edited:
The Bronze
The Bronze
You've got the whole internet at your fingertips and can easily find out the problems with that spoiler statement for yourself in a matter of seconds.
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Of course they would still pay them millions of dollars because the NFL is big business. Their happy to use their on field talents while denaying them basic everyday freedoms. Besides NFL is just one aspect of American sociaty.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Let's keep this on topic.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
It falls into the Stargate category of: That was a waste of an explanation. It wasn't, but I ignored it anyway.
K
katmobile
Yup we're not supposed to be political and I did start it!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
If anyone wants to know what I was on about 98.995% of you Jack's response to the scientists saying what the Zee or Zed P M is.
Stargate Atlantis Episode 1 Season 1.

Also if anyone can get on a Spaceship with a seriously high powered set of binoculars to let us know what the Olympics look like.

TriBel

Scooby
Full schedule - unless I've messed up copy and paste (times in BST):

Wednesday, July 21

1am-9am: Women's softball opening round

8.30am-2.30pm: Women's football first round (Team GB v Chile at 8.30am)

Friday, July 23

12pm-5pm: Opening ceremony

Saturday, July 24

12.30am-8.30am: Women's 10m air rifle

2.15am-4.25am: Women's and men's basketball pool games

3am-10.15am: Men's cycling road race

3am-12pm: Tennis singles and doubles

8.30am-1.30pm: Women's football

10.30am-2.15pm: Men's hockey

11am-1.30pm: Swimming - men's 400m IM, women's 100m butterfly, men's 400m freestyle, women's 400m IM, men's 100m breaststroke, women's 4x100m freestyle

Sunday, July 25

11pm-8.20am: Surfing - men and women's opening rounds

1am-5.55am: Skateboarding - men's street

1.30am-5.15am: Women's hockey

2am-9am/11am-2.40pm: Taekwondo opening rounds and finals

2.30am-4.30am: Swimming finals - men's 400m IM, 400m freestyle, women's 400m IM, men's 100m breaststroke semi-finals, women's 4x100m freestyle relay

5am-9.35am: Women's cycling road race

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - women's 100m backstroke, men's 200m freestyle, women's 100m breaststroke, men's 100m backstroke, women's 400m freestyle, men's 4x100m freestyle relay

Monday, July 26

10.30pm-1am: Men's triathlon

1am-4am: Men's rugby sevens pool stage

1am-5.55am: Skateboarding - Women's street

1.30am-5.15am: Men's hockey

2am-9am/11am-2.40pm: Taekwondo opening rounds and finals

2.30am-4.40am: Swimming finals - women’s 100m butterfly, men's 100m breaststroke, women's 400m freestyle, men's 4x100m freestyle relay

6am-8.45am: Canoe slalom - men’s canoe single

7am-8am: Diving - men’s 10m platform synchro final

10.30am-2.15pm: Women's hockey

11am-2pm: Gymnastics - men’s artistic team final

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - women’s 200m freestyle, men's 200m butterfly, women's 200m individual medley, women's 1500m freestyle

Tuesday, July 27

10.30pm-1.05am: Women's triathlon

12.30am-3.55am: Rowing - men's and women's quadruple sculls

2am-5.45am: Men's hockey

2am-9am/11am-240pm: Taekwondo opening rounds and final

2.30am-4.30am: Swimming finals - men's 200m freestyle, women's 100m backstroke, men's 100m backstroke, women's 100m breaststroke

6am-9am: Canoe slalom - k1 women’s kayak single

8am-2.30pm: Women's football

8.30am-11.30am: Men's rugby sevens quarter-finals

9am-2.40pm: Equestrian - team dressage final

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - men's 100m freestyle, women's 200m butterfly, men's 200m breaststroke, men's 4x200m freestyle relay, men's 800m

11.45am-2pm: Gymnastics - women’s artistic team final

Wednesday, July 28

12am-3.35am: Surfing

12.30am-3.40am: Rowing - women's and men's double sculls and women's and men's four

2am-5.45am: Women's hockey

2.30am-5.05am: Swimming finals - women's 200m freestyle, men's 200m butterfly, women's 200m IM, women's 1500m freestyle, men's 4x200m relay

3.30am-9.40am: Cycling - men’s and women’s time trials

7am-8am: Diving - men's 3m synchro

8.30am-11am: Men's rugby sevens bronze and gold medal match

9.30am-1.25pm: Equestrian - individual dressage final

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - women's 100m freestyle, men's 200m backstroke, women's 200m breaststroke, men's 200m IM, women's 4x200m freestyle relay

11.15am-2pm: Gymnastics - men's all-round individual

12.45pm-3.25pm: Men and women's basketball

Thursday, July 29

11.30pm-7.30am: Men's golf

12.30am-3.55am: Rowing - men’s and women's pair and men’s and lightweight double sculls

1am-4am/8.30am-11.30pm: Women's rugby sevens pool stages

2am-4am: Cycling - men's and women's BMX

2am-5.45am: Men's hockey

2.30am-5.10am: Swimming finals - men's 800m freestyle, men's 200m breaststroke, women's 200m butterfly, men's 100m freestyle, women's 4x200m freestyle relay

3am-12pm: Tennis - women's singles semi-finals and women's doubles semi-finals

6am-8.45am: Canoe slalom - c1 women’s canoe single

11am-2.45pm: Women's hockey

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - women's 800m freestyle, men's 100m butterfly, women's 200m backstroke, mixed 4x100m medley relay

11.50am-2pm: Gymnastics: women's all-round individual

11am-2.10pm: Table tennis - women's singles bronze and gold medal matches

Friday, July 30

11.30pm-7.30am: Men's golf

1am-3.10pm: Rowing - women's and men's single sculls, women's and men's eight

1am-4.30am: Athletics heats - women's 800m, men's 400m, women's 100m and men's high jump qualification

2am-4.20am: Cycling - men's and women's Olympic BMX

2.30am-4.30am: Swimming finals - women's 200m breaststroke, men's 200m backstroke, women's 100m freestyle, men's 200m IM

3am-12pm: Tennis - men's doubles bronze and gold medal match, men's singles semi-finals, mixed doubles semi-finals

5am-7.25am: Trampoline gymnastics - women's final

6am-9am: Canoe slalom - K1 men’s kayak single

11am-2.45pm: Men's hockey

11am-1.30pm: Swimming heats - men's and women's 50m freestyle, men's 1500m freestyle, women's and men's 4x100m medley relays

11am-1.30pm: Athletics - men's 10,000m final

12pm-2.10pm: Table tennis - men's singles bronze and gold medal match

Saturday, July 31

11.30pm-1.25am: Mixed relay triathlon

11.30pm-7am: Men's golf

1am-4am: Athletics - women's 400m hurdles, men's 800m, women's 100m hurdles heats and men's 100m prelims plus men's pole vault

2.10am-4.20am: Cycling - BMX freestyle

2.30am-4.30am: Swimming finals - men's 100m butterfly, women's 200m backstroke, women's 800m freestyle, mixed 4x100m medley relay

4am-10am: Sailing - RS:X men and women medal race

4am-9.10am: Shooting - women's 50m rifle 3 positions

4am-12pm: Tennis - women's singles bronze and gold medal match, men's singles, women's doubles and mixed doubles bronze medal match

5am-9.25am: Trampoline gymnastics - men's final

8.30am-11am: Women's rugby sevens bronze and gold medal match

9am-11.40am: Judo - mixed teams

10am-3pm: Badminton men's doubles bronze and gold medal match

10.30am-2.15pm: Women's hockey

11am-1.55pm: Athletics - women's 100m semi-finals and final, women's 800m semi-finals and first Olympic mixed 4x400m relay final

Sunday, August 1

11.30pm-8am: Men's golf

1.10am-4am: Women's shot put final and women's long jump qualification

2.10am-4.45am: Women's and men's BMX freestyle

2.30am-4.25am: Swimming finals - men's and women's 50m freestyle, men's 1500m freestyle, women's and men's 4x100m medley relay

4am-10am: Sailing - men's Laser and women's Laser Radial medal races

4am-12pm: Tennis - men's singles, women's doubles and mixed doubles gold medal matches

7am-8.30am: Diving - women's 3m springboard final

9am-12pm: Gymnastics finals - men’s floor and pommel and women's vault and uneven bars

12.30pm-3pm: Badminton - women's singles bronze and gold medal match

11am-1.55pm: Athletics - men's high jump final, men's 100m semi-finals, women's 100m hurdles semi-finals, women's triple jump final, men's 800m semi-finals, men's 400m hurdles semi-finals and men's 100m final

Monday, August 2

1am-3.55am: Athletics - men's long jump final, women's 200m heats and women's 100m hurdles final

4am-10am: Sailing - women's 49er FX and men's 49er medal races

5am-7.30am: Badminton - women's doubles gold and bronze medal matches

7.30am-10.30am: Track cycling - women's and men's team pursuit qualifying, women's team sprint finals

9am-11.15am: Gymnastics finals - men's rings, women's floor and men's vault

9am-2.45pm: Equestrian - eventing team final

9am-3pm: Women's football semi-finals

11am-2pm: Athletics - women's 200m semi-finals, women's discus final, men's 400m semi-finals, men's 3000m steeplechase final and women's 5000m final

12pm-3pm: Badminton - men's singles gold and bronze medal matches

Tuesday, August 3

1am-4.25am: Athletics - men's 1500m heats, women's 400m heats, women's long jump final, men's 200m heats and men's 400m hurdles final

1.30am-5.15am: Canoe sprint - women's kayak single 200m final, men's canoe double 1000m final, men's kayak single 1000m final, women's kayak double 500m finals

2.30am-4.15am/11am-12.45pm: Men's hockey semi-finals

3am-5.40am: Boxing - women's featherweight (54-57kg) final

6.30am-8.55am: Sailing - men's finn and nacra 17 mixed medal races

7am-8.30am: Diving - men's 3m springboard final

7.30am-10.10am: Track cycling - women's team pursuit and men's team sprint finals

9am-11.15am: Gymnastics finals - men's parallel bars, women's beam and men's horizontal bar

9am-11.40am: Boxing - men's welterweight (63-69kg) final

9am-2.40pm: Climbing - men's qualification

11am-1.55pm: Athletics - men's 110m hurdles heats, men's pole vault final, men's 5000m, women's hammer final, men's 200m semi-finals, women's 800m final and women's 200m final

Wednesday, August 4

10.30pm-1.10am: Swimming - women's 10km marathon

11.30pm-7.30am: Women's golf

1am-4.25am: Athletics - men's decathlon, women's heptathlon, men's 110m hurdles semi-finals and women's 400m hurdles final

1am-5.40am: Skateboarding - women's park competition

2.30am-4.15am/10am-12.45pm: Women's hockey semi-finals

6am-8.10am: Boxing - men's light heavyweight (75-81kg) final

6.30am-8.55am: Sailing - men and women's 470 medal races

7.30am-11am: Track cycling - men's team pursuit finals, men's sprint qualifying and women's keirin opening rounds

9am-2.40pm: Climbing - women's combined qualification

10.30am-2pm: Athletics - men's decathlon, women's decathlon, women's 1500m semi-finals, women's 400m semi-finals, men's 800m final and men's 200m final

11am-1.40pm: Equestrian - jumping individual final

Thursday, August 5

10.30pm-1.10am: Swimming - men's 10km marathon

1am-7.05am: Athletics - men's decathlon, women's heptathlon, women's 4x100m relay heats, men's triple jump final, men's 110m hurdles final

1am-5.40am: Skateboarding - men's park competition

1.30am-5.05am: Canoe sprint - men's kayak single 200m, women's canoe single 200m, women's kayak single 500m and men's kayak double 1000m

2am-6.45am/9am-1.40pm: Karate - men's kumite -67kg and women's -55kg finals

2.30am-4.15am: Men's hockey bronze match

5am-11.30am: Men and Women's modern pentathlon.

6am-8.10am: Boxing - men's featherweight (52-57kg) final

7am-8.30am: Diving - women's 10m platform final

7.30am-10.50am: Track cycling - men's omnium, men's sprint rounds and women's keirin final

7.30am-9.05am: Athletics - men's 20km race walk

8am-12pm: Women's football bronze medal match

9.30am-2.20pm: Climbing

11am-1.45pm: Athletics - men's decathlon, women's heptathlon, women's pole vault final, women's 4x400m relay, men's 1500m semi-finals and men's 400m final

11am-1.10pm: Men's hockey gold medal match

Friday, August 6

9.30pm-12am: Athletics - men's 50km race walk

2am-4.50am: Beach volleyball

2.30am-4.15am: Women's hockey bronze medal match

3am-6am: Women's football gold medal match

6am-7.40am: Boxing - men's heavyweight (81-91kg) final

6.30am-12.15pm: Women's modern pentathlon

7am-9.30am: Diving - men's 10m platform prelims

7.30am-11.15am: Track cycling - women's Madison final and men's sprint finals

8.30am-10.15am: Athletics - women's 20km race walk

9.30am-2.20pm: Climbing

11am-1.10pm: Women's hockey gold medal match

11.50am-2.55pm: Athletics - 4x400m round 1, women's javelin final, men's 5000m final, women's 400m final, women's 1500m final, women's 4x100m relay final and men's 4x100m relay final

Saturday, August 7

11pm-2.15am: Athletics - women's marathon

11.30pm-8am: Women's golf

1.30am-4.50am: Canoe sprint finals - women's canoe double 500m, men's canoe single 1000m, women's kayak four 500m and men's kayak four 500m

2am-4.50am: Beach volleyball - men's bronze and gold medal matches

3.30am-5.30am: Basketball - men's gold medal match

6am-7.55am: Boxing - men's flyweight (48-52kg), men's middleweight (69-75kg), women's flyweight (48-51kg) and women's welterweight (64-69kg) finals

6.30am-12.15pm: Men's modern pentathlon

7am-8.30am: Diving - men's 10m platform final

7.30am-10.25am: Track cycling - men's Madison final

11am-1.30pm: Equestrian - jumping team final

11am-2.20pm: Athletics - women's high jump final, women's 10,000m final, men's javelin final, men's 1500m final, women's 4x400m relay final and men's 4x400m relay final

12.30pm-3.30pm: Men's football gold medal match

Sunday, August 8

11pm-1.45am: Athletics - men's marathon

2am-5.15am: Track cycling - women's omnium, women's sprint finals and men's keirin finals

6am-7.55am: Boxing - women's lightweight (57-60kg), women's middleweight (69-75kg), men's lightweight (57-63kg) and men's super heavyweight (+91kg) finals

12pm-3pm: Closing ceremony

Mr Trick

Scooby
Nice to have an early upset. Sweden really laid down a marker with that 3-0 win against favourites USA. US will should still be fine getting through thre group. Interesting that they lefted Megan Rapinoe on the bench until quite late in the game. We have our first freak scoreline too with Holland's 10-3 against Zambia :D I don't think GB will win Gold but think we've got a shot at getting a medal which would be a step up from 2012. Lauren Hemp looks like she could be a special player.

Reactions: sk

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Did anyone see that the Australian Woman's football team won, if you say that aloud, Austalia one even though they got two goals.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Onto some men's football today. Germany/Brazil later which could be tasty. Will be interesting to see what sort of line ups the top nations pick. I don't think GB men are in action this Olympics. Mexico VS. France right now. 2-0 Mexico. After below par Euros France will want a better Olympics. Mexico looking good. Nice to see

That played everytime a team scores! :D

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Mexico is a pretty good team. Opponents need to be on upset alert

Mr Trick

Scooby
A hat trick for Richarlison in the first 30 minutes! Germany all at sea and looking like a sunday league side. They are in flux.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Well that was always going to be a more sumbre and different opening ceremony (such much politics going on around these games). But overall I think Japan did a very nice job. It embodied the spirit of the games, and was very graceful and creative, but also playful at times. I even teared up a couple of times :oops: Like with a powerful performance of the Japan Anthem or the use of Imagine by Lennon. True it got a little too preachy and drawn out at times, but it felt respectful and thoughtfully put together. Also love the nerdy facts from the BBC team as the countries came out:D

So now onto the Games properly. Tonight/morning I'm up for a bit of Rowing, Handball, Basketball and maybe even Tennis. Tomorrow night I might even try some one of new sports Surfing:D

Mr Trick

Scooby
Onto some Badminton and Japan in action against Denmark. Always a better games I think if the hosts can do well. Looks lively. Helen Glover coming up in the Rowing too. Will be up early tomorror hopefully too for some Basketball and Team GB in the football.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
@Mr Trick do you get complete coverage by your service provider out there? Are you able to watch all the less popular sports, such as Judo or Field Hockey? I ask because there are some things not available to me here with my service provider

Mr Trick

Scooby
@Mr Trick do you get complete coverage by your service provider out there? Are you able to watch all the less popular sports, such as Judo or Field Hockey? I ask because there are some things not available to me here with my service provider

Normally I can watch most things because they put them on the Red Button. Altough at the moment it seems more limtied like its whatever the BBC or the main red button is showing. There have a mix of things on Euro Sport too. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Enjoying the Badmington so far. The Den's steal the first game. Good fightback.

Mr Trick

Scooby
First Gold of the Oympics goes to Qian Yang of China in the shooting. Just piping the ROC at the end. I had no idea what was going on :D

That Badminton mixed doubles match was great earlier. Japan turning it around winning 2 sets to 1. It was back and forth in the final set for awhile before they took control. First set was 22-23.

Better get some sleep Beach Volley ball coming up in the morning!🥳

Mr Trick

Scooby
A tougher game for GB in the football today. But they improved in the second half and its a sign of a good striker in White that she was hardly in the game, but was still there to get the winner. Don't know what the Japanese keeper was thinking though. Good for GB to qualify with a game to spare because the match with Canada will be tough again. I also expect Japan to squeeze through.

GB going strong in the swimming not just with Peaty (just his 8th best time, slacking a bit :D ), but also the Relay team winning and Aimee Wilmott looking good finishing second her event. Disagree with @The Bronze I enjoy watching the Swimming:p.

Also caught the Judo final with Kosovo getting the medal against Japan in the women's 48kg. Boy is it psychical. Enjoy the mix of wrestling and martial arts.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Well its nice to see something else than Rowing on the BBC! :oops: Been enjoying the Skateboarding. It adds something a bit different to the Olympics and is accessible for a younger and less posh age group. But good fun. Think I will check out a bit of Hockey now.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I wish I could watch the field hockey!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Oh I don't know, I'd like the Olympics to be as they were when they were first started, the thought of girls and guys getting dressed as though they are going to a toga party.

Want to make yourself feel physically ill, imagine the old twots in charge of the Olympics dressed in see through white sheets.

Top Bottom