• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Top 10 Giles Episodes

THE DARK AGE for Ripper and Ethan Rayne
BAD GIRLS for Giles vs. Wesley & Giles fighting w/a sword
BAND CANDY for RIPPER/Teen Giles & Joyce!
FEAR ITSELF for Season 4 Giles on Halloween, eventually w/a chainsaw saving the day
A NEW MAN for Ethan Rayne, Giles character study & Giles turning into a demon
HELPLESS for strengthening Buffy & Giles daughter/father bond
PASSION for emotional & pivotal Giles development
RESTLESS for getting inside Giles' head
THE GIFT for strong, cold, killer & crying Giles all in one episode
GRAVE for an iconic entrance & pivotal episode vs. Dark Willow

Last edited:

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
The Dark Age
Passion
Becoming
Helpless
The Prom (simply because he's so supportive of Buffy and for his "You have the emotional maturity of a blueberry scone" line)
A New Man
Checkpoint
The Gift
Tabula Rasa (because Giles/Anya)
Grave

Once More With Feeling
A New Man
Helpless
Tabula Rasa
Hush
Lies My Parents Told Me
The Yoko Factor
The Dark Age
Passion
Where The Wild Things Are

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Passion
The Dark Age
Grave
Tabula Rasa
The Gift
Once More With Feeling
The Wish
Becoming
Hush
A New Man
Wow, some of these are some of the best of the series! Coincidence? I think not;)

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
No particular order:

The Dark Age
Halloween
Band Candy
A New Man
Restless
Tabula Rasa
Hush
Passion
Helpless
Checkpoint

Also the Giles singing, the "I'd like to test that theory" "You think I'm evil if I take a bunch of girls on a camping trip and don't touch them"

I do love Giles & Anya in TABULA RASA and it was interesting to meet Olivia (albeit for one ep) in HUSH, but I did almost include WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE because Giles singing 'Behind Blue Eyes' in the coffee house..... that was to die for. He's such a sophisticated, ruggedly sexy man (as Anya said in Tabula Rasa) with a beautiful voice.

P
Priceless
Giles with that chainsaw :-)
1. Prophecy Girl
2. Innocence
3. Passion
4. I Only Have Eyes For You
5. Faith, Hope and Trick
6. Helpless
7. The Prom
8. Pangs
9. The Yoko Factor
10. Grave

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
10. Something Blue. The both serious and funny implications of him losing his sight, watching him stumble about. "Stop that. I can hear the smacking."
9. Dead Man's Party. His teary relief at Buffy's return and the iconic line are what save this episode for me. "Look at my mask. Isn't it pretty? It raises the dead. Americans."
8. The Yoko Factor. Every time I watch this, I wait, grinning, for drunk!Giles to show up. Some of his funniest work in the whole series.
7. The Wish. Getting to see a Giles who was never influenced by knowing Buffy was interesting, though I felt they didn't delve enough into that, which is why it's this low. Otherwise great episode, though :)
6. A New Man. One of the few Giles-centric episodes and we get him bickering in Fyarl form with Spike :D bloody priceless!
5/4/3/2/1. The Dark Age/Passion/Becoming Pt. II/Band Candy/Helpless. You cannot make me choose, it's freaking impossible! One has our first real look at Giles' dark past, the next one is losing Jenny and attacking the factory, then there's his torture at Angelus' hands and seeing 'Jenny' again, followed by the incredible performance as Ripper and then his outstanding performance in Helpless. Nope, not picking, not happening!

1. Innocence. His speech at the end to Buffy about her having his support and respect is one of those moments that will make me cry if I'm in a certain mood. He's just so good with her in that episode and that speech sticks with me.

2. A New Man. Maybe an obvious choice, but I absolutely love him here. ASH's performance as the Fyarl demon was spot-on, hilarious, and so, so quoteworthy.

SPIKE: I think we've picked up a tail.
GILES: Yes, a small one. It hurts when I sit.

I feel so bad for him in the episode and ASH really plays it up well. The conversation with Walsh was particularly hard to watch. And Buffy's comment about her being "absolutely the smartest person I've ever met" is just such a shock to Giles' system. It's painful. I love when he calls her a "fishwife!"

3. Two To Go. I include this solely for his appearance at the end: "I'd like to test that theory." One of the most fantastic moments in the whole show!

4. The Prom. Giles figures out that Angel broke up with Buffy and I love how fatherly he tries to be. "I seem to recall this kind of this requires ice cream of some sort?" And his attitude with Wesley at the actual dance is absolutely hilarious. "For God's sake, Wesley, she's eighteen years old and you have the emotional maturity of a bluebery scone. Just have at it, would you, and stop fluttering about?" Perfect. And I love the way he takes Buffy's umbrella when he sees Angel walk in.

5. Something Blue. He is absolutely hilarious. "It's all right, I have more scotch." His reactions to Buffy and Spike's loud smooching noises are great (and completely appropriate!). "So the plan is to cure my total incapacitating blindness tomorrow, is it?" And earlier in the episode, when Buffy's taunting Spike, his eye rolls and facial expressions are perfect. He's so tired of their bickering! Buffy's being pretty immature and Spike's being....well, Spike. That's a great scene. Plus his conversation with Willow on the phone -- "...and I'd like to take a shower sometime today. Alone."

6. Band Candy. Love the attitude, the white cigarette-burned t-shirt, his casual coolness, his interactions with Joyce, and his cheering on Buffy as she smacks around Ethan. "Yes! Kick his ass! Punch him! Yes!"

7. The Dark Age. We get to see Giles' backstory a little, which is always fun, especially in Buffy.

8. The Puppet Show. I love his interactions with Snyder. And the student body. Poor, poor Giles. We get to see some of his character here that I think we were missing in the very early episodes. He comes across much more likable here, and it sticks.

9. Prophecy Girl. His talks with Angel, his distress over the prophecy, his rumpled clothing, his being all disoriented. And actually, his reaction as Buffy has her meltdown is spot on. He's concerned, saddened, a little shocked, and even more determined to stop the apocalypse before it happens.

10. Helpless. I didn't love the injecting Buffy and all, but he makes it clear partway through the episode that he cares deeply about Buffy and can't stand the thought of anything happening to her. He even sabotages the test to try to save Buffy. And at the end, the reveal that he's being fired because "he has a parent's love for the child" is so sweet. It's a tender moment and ASH handles it beautifully.

Honorable mention for Lie To Me. The talk with Buffy at the end gets me every time. "What do you want me to say?" "Lie to me."

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
Hmm good thread. Here's my picks in the order they popped into my brain!

Passion: A really emotional episode for Giles. Just fantastic (and sad) to watch.
Dead Man's Party: Agree with @Puppet here with: "Look at my mask, isn't it pretty? It raises the dead. Americans."
The Yoko Factor: "Bloody hell..."
Pangs: Good banter in this episode with Willow, and Giles is just generally funny here with his mushy peas.
A New Man: I live for Giles chasing Maggie Walsh when he makes Spike stop the car
Helpless: I really enjoy the story here between Giles' life as a watcher and his love for Buffy
The Gift: Giles is not afraid to challenge Buffy, and he does here. Not to mention the murder of Ben, a controversial but necessary choice, in my opinion.
Once More, With Feeling: It's a great insight into Giles during this period of the show, and it's always nice to hear AHS sing.
Grave: I really love that Giles came back to help, and I enjoy Buffy and him laughing at the absurdity of how bad things got in his absence.
Faith, Hope, and Trick: I love how Giles knew there was something weighing on Buffy's chest, and he gently helped her reveal it by the end of the episode.

Top Bottom