• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Top 5 Season 1 Episodes

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
What is your top 5 season 1 episodes?
Mine would be
1. Prophecy Girl - it changed the whole show. Contrary to other people, I loved the prophecy girl dress. Loved the Buffy speech to Giles. It was great.
2. Angel - Believe it or not but I was a huge Bangel in S1. I found them cute & I still kinda do & this was a good episode.
3. Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight - This one developed Cordelia and I loved the story they used that sometimes you can feel forgotten which is a good real life lesson.
4. The Puppet Show - solid episode! I loved it. Very good story.
5. Welcome To The Hellmouth - great series premiere & I was hooked instantly.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
The prophecy girl dress is iconic!

Puppet

Shh! I'm watching my favorite show.
Black Thorn
Well, I did recently do a S1 re-watch, so let's see :)

5. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest - it struck me recently, just how great of a series pilot this is. These days, pilot episodes rarely get me hooked, but Buffy's still impresses me. It manages to do what a pilot should do; introduces the character, the plot, and make us care about it at the same time. Despite some heavy exposition scenes, it is one of the best TV pilots I've seen in one-hour dramas.
4. Nightmares - while the execution wasn't the best, I really enjoyed the idea of the plot and the individual nightmares each character had. I do wish we could've seen Angel's, as well, but what we got was really great, I thought.
3. Out of Mind, Out of Sight - this episode has so much, including being the first time that a lot of viewers actually started to like Cordelia, because this episode gave her some depth, finally, but there are other nuggets in there to enjoy.
2. The Puppet Show - this is, as I always say, the perfect example of Buffy S1; campy, funny, but still dark and wrangling with themes like humans doing evil and monsters being good. Plus I really like Sid :D
1. Prophecy Girl - As @PaulParmar1 said, this was the episode that changed the whole tone of the show, before S2 did even more to do that. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I get this 'aha' moment when I'm watching a show, and for Buffy, that moment was a scene in Prophecy Girl. Had that not happened, I might not have kept watching anymore, so even personally, it's an important episode.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Well, I did recently do a S1 re-watch, so let's see :)

5. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest - it struck me recently, just how great of a series pilot this is. These days, pilot episodes rarely get me hooked, but Buffy's still impresses me. It manages to do what a pilot should do; introduces the character, the plot, and make us care about it at the same time. Despite some heavy exposition scenes, it is one of the best TV pilots I've seen in one-hour dramas.
4. Nightmares - while the execution wasn't the best, I really enjoyed the idea of the plot and the individual nightmares each character had. I do wish we could've seen Angel's, as well, but what we got was really great, I thought.
3. Out of Mind, Out of Sight - this episode has so much, including being the first time that a lot of viewers actually started to like Cordelia, because this episode gave her some depth, finally, but there are other nuggets in there to enjoy.
2. The Puppet Show - this is, as I always say, the perfect example of Buffy S1; campy, funny, but still dark and wrangling with themes like humans doing evil and monsters being good. Plus I really like Sid :D
1. Prophecy Girl - As @PaulParmar1 said, this was the episode that changed the whole tone of the show, before S2 did even more to do that. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I get this 'aha' moment when I'm watching a show, and for Buffy, that moment was a scene in Prophecy Girl. Had that not happened, I might not have kept watching anymore, so even personally, it's an important episode.
I loved Buffy in S1 I do but I think Prophecy Girl turned it from a cute show to a real show that people could take seriously. Imo if that transition had not happened , Buffy would've probably only got 3 or 4 seasons.

The Puppet Show
Prophecy Girl
Out of Mind Out of Sight
Nightmares
Witch

Season 1 is just so nostalgic and I just love Sid in The Puppet Show, he's so awful he's good. Agree Prophecy Girl elevated the show into something far more complex and interesting than just another teen show

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
The Puppet Show
Prophecy Girl
Out of Mind Out of Sight
Nightmares
Witch

Season 1 is just so nostalgic and I just love Sid in The Puppet Show, he's so awful he's good. Agree Prophecy Girl elevated the show into something far more complex and interesting than just another teen show
Yeah I sometimes miss S1 but I prefer the later seasons but S1 is just so fun.

1. Prophecy Girl : I love this episode so much. So classic and iconic and the perfect episode for Buffy. I think it might be in my top 10.
2. Angel : such a cute and engaging episode, and a very important one for the show. The Bangel stuff is adorable and perfect!
3. Never Kill A Boy On the First Date : Cute and underrated. It has a lot of memorable little moments and I always love episodes where Buffy wants to be a normal teenage girl.
4. Out of Mind, Out of Sight : Such a good episode for Cordy with an interesting monster of the week. And it has some great Buffy/Cordy stuff. Oh and Angel/Giles!!
5. Nightmares : It has a lot of flaws and doesn't make lots of sense but I just love how all the nightmares helps us get to know the characters better. It's one of the best s1 episodes when it comes to characterization.

Slayerofslayers

We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?
1.) Angel: loved learning about Angel's backstory and having Darla be a big part of the episode. I wish she hadn't been killed so soon though lol.

2.) Prophecy Girl: Buffy's emotional speech to Giles and Angel, Buffy being willing to sacrifice herself to save the world, Buffy dying and coming back to life, Buffy coming back stronger and defeating the Master; it's just an incredible episode.

3.) The Harvest: interesting to see Jesse be turned into a vampire so that we can see what a difference it makes between a human and a soulless vampire and to see Xander having to deal with one of his best friends being turned into a vampire. The battle in the Bronze with all of the vampires is super cool and I liked Luke as a vampire villain.

4.) Welcome to the Hell mouth: the episode that started it all; the surprise of Darla being the vampire in the opening scene, Buffy and Xander and Willow meeting for the first time, Giles and Buffy's funny interactions in the library and the Bronze, and the ending fight scene in the masoleum. Really cool stuff.

5.) The Pack: I loved Willow in this episode and it was an interesting plot for a monster of the week episode. I liked Xander and Willow making up at the end of the episode. This episode was also pretty dark with Principal Flutie getting eaten I was really surprised the first time I watched this episode.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
1. Angel. I love this episode and the ending is amazing.
2. Prophecy Girl. A classic and a look at what Buffy would be.
3. Nightmares. A fun episode with some deep character moments.
4. Welcome to the Hellmouth. I love going back and seeing where it all started.
5. Witch. I just like this one lol

1. The Pack- One of my favorite Buffy episodes. It's genuinely creepy and ups the stakes in a real way.
2. Prophecy Girl- The only truly great episode of S1.
3. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest- Regardless of it's imperfections, this can't not be one of the best S1 episodes.
4. The Puppet Show- Really funny and absolutely ridiculous. Everything relating to the talent show bumped this one ahead of Angel.
5. Angel- Not one of my favorite episodes, but it's solid. It's nice to learn more about Angel and Darla, and really get the season (and the whole show) moving.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
1) Prophecy Girl- It's the defining moment of season 1 and really the start of the rest of the show. Head and shoulders number 1 for me.

2) Welcome to the Hellmouth- I will always love this one no matter how cheesy and young the show was; it made me fall in love with the characters immediately and hooked me forever.

3) Angel- Though I knew his backstory going in, this was still a very good episode, especially because of Darla.

4) The Puppet Show- It's funny but ridiculous. Lots of points for introducing Snyder. Plus Sid makes quite an impression for so few lines.

5) Nightmares- Showed the show's potential for darker topics. One of the scarier episodes of the first 3 seasons.

MarieVampSlayer

Slayer musk: It's bitter and aggravating!
Sineya
1. Prophecy Girl - It made me loveeeeeeeee Buffy!
2. Welcome To The Hellmouth/Harvest - It made me like Buffy.
3. Angel - This was the first time we had a little of Angel's backstory and I love it!
4. Witch - I love drunk Buffy and it's the first time we get introduce to witches.
5. The pack - I love evil Xander and the dodgeball scene which is so representative of high school.

nightshade

Hidden away in a cupboard under the stairs
Staff member
Black Thorn
  1. Prophecy girl
  2. Angel
  3. Nightmares
  4. Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest
  5. Either The Puppet Show or Out of Sight Out of Mind
Tough choices there, so many great episodes in season one.

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
1. Prophecy Girl - Iconic
2. Angel - Important
3. WttH/The Harvest - Beginning
4. NKABOTFD - Love it.
5. Witch - Fun

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
In no particular order (all enjoyable):

Prophecy Girl (this is no. 1 obviously. Iconic really)
Welcome To The Hellmouth: a great first episode that introduces everyone perfectly, enough to get over the not-as-good Harvest.
Angel (a solid mid-season turning point with some stellar scenes)
The Puppet Show (funny! And Snyder! Plus am I the only one that sees Sid's death- and his acceptance of it- as a nice foreshadowing of Buffy's own choice?)
The Witch : fun and establishes the Scoobie-group dynamic

The Puppet Show
Prophecy Girl
Out of Mind Out of Sight
Nightmares
Witch

I love Season 1, it's monster of the week premise, it's dark grainy feel.

joseph

Tara & Willow Forever.
What is your top 5 season 1 episodes?
Mine would be
1. Prophecy Girl - it changed the whole show. Contrary to other people, I loved the prophecy girl dress. Loved the Buffy speech to Giles. It was great.
2. Angel - Believe it or not but I was a huge Bangel in S1. I found them cute & I still kinda do & this was a good episode.
3. Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight - This one developed Cordelia and I loved the story they used that sometimes you can feel forgotten which is a good real life lesson.
4. The Puppet Show - solid episode! I loved it. Very good story.
5. Welcome To The Hellmouth - great series premiere & I was hooked instantly.
1 witch 2 I robot you jane 3 the pack 4 out of sight out of mind 5 angel.