• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Top 5 Underutilized Characters

BuffyBot22

Scooby
1. Gunn
2. Drusilla
3. Faith (wish she had been who Buffy turned too when she was depressed in s6 instead of Spike)
4. Darla (her arc on Angel was pretty much perfect, but I would have still liked to have seen more of her overall)
5. Oz

Athene
Athene
I agree with 3 unless Faith would be a punching bag like Spike was then no lol

Faded90

Scooby
1. Gunn
2. Drusilla
3. Faith (wish she had been who Buffy turned too when she was depressed in s6 instead of Spike)
4. Darla (her arc on Angel was pretty much perfect, but I would have still liked to have seen more of her overall)
5. Oz
I genuinely feel like Faith would have been the one to spot how low Buffy was if she’d been around and not just ‘oh she’ll be fine and back to our old Buffy soon enough’ like everyone else. Obviously Buffy reacts very differently to S3 Faith but there’s lots of similar themes in their S3/S6 story - self loathing, using sex as a crutch, the belief that they’re ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’ and doing what they can do cut themselves off from themselves (if that makes sense) . Faiths quote describing this time can be attributed to Buffy’s S6 story ‘you just keep sinking a little deeper every day and nobody even sees’ ‘nothings in control, nothing makes sense’. Both culminate in them breaking down to someone while trying to get the other person to agree that they’re ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’ . Faith can be very self involved (as can Buffy of course) but I genuinely believe she’d have known there was something deeper to S6 Buffy than just ‘oh she’ll be ok’

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
Such a missed opportunity on the writer's part!

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
Boone from blood money
Drogyn maybe
Izzerial the Devil
Nathan Reed
The Oracles
Rutherford Sirk
Ethan
Mr. Trick

Last edited:
1 - Gunn
2 - Gwen
3 - Ethan
4 - Jenny
5 - Giles, Willow + Xander in season 7 :)

Boone was a good suggestion, but cant remember if he died or not at the episode. Angel won, but was it a fight to the death?

Myheadsgonenumb
Myheadsgonenumb
we don't see the fight but the implication is it was to the death - that's what Boone was after.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
1. Anne. She had an interesting past and present story, and I wish it had been expanded upon. I would have loved to see her working with early era AI, and would have loved more to see her and Gunn get together. They had great chemistry, had similar backgrounds and I think he could have been a great asset to her teen center.
2. Lorne. I hate how he's basically used by Angel and never gets thanked, despite being one of the most selfless, kind and loving characters on the show.
3. Jesse. I get why he had to be killed off early, but he could have been a great addition to the Scoobies.
5. Gwen. I'd have loved to see her come back in the later seasons and help the team out.

1. Ethan Rayne - too much fun and such a shame we never see him past season 4.
2. Lorne in Season 5 - He works really well in 2 and 3. 4 is all over the place but he still manages to hold his own within the serialised turgid soap opera that is that season but then in 5 they don't seem to know what to do with him and sometimes he does little more than say one line and then disappear from the rest of the episode. His send off is both great and tragic but he isn't used properly up until that point.
3. Marcie Ross and the other invisible assassins - They could have had a great story line with them, maybe linked to The Initiative as they were both linked to the government or maybe she could have worked for Wolfram and Hart. They could have done a visual thing where when we were in her POV we could see her, though no one on screen could - and they could repeat shots, a bit like Same Time Same Place - one with her in and one as all the characters saw it. I think Bethany Chaulke the telekinetic and Gwen Raiden (while good and interesting characters) are both too powerful to keep around for any length of time; someone who can kill people by blinking and someone who can kill people just by touching them render Angel and his super strength redundant, they can have finished the fight before he has swung his first punch. But Marcie Ross as a trained assassin is a good threat level to either Buffy or Angel, not too easy nor too impossible to defeat.
4. Drusilla - She always seems to appear in service to someone else's plan, and yet she was a badass vampire with the power of premonition in her own right. It would have been good to explore that more - especially her foresight - and to give her a story line where she is out of Spike's/ Angelus'/ Darla's shadow.
5. Dawn - in season 7. The season starts off really well for her, with Buffy training her and her becoming a valuable member of the scoobies - but then she gets shuffled off the side to make room for the potentials. I don't like the way Buffy stops training her in order to train these other girls and she is just left to develop watcher skills on her own. I like that she does develop watcher skills, I like that she's book smart and competent, but the messaging feels like she is pushed out of the training she asked for, in order to make way for these more special and important girls - and I hate that. Dawn's been asking to go on patrol since she first appeared in the show, she's finally being treated like a grown up and trained in how to fight and protect herself, she's doing a really good job of it - and then she's dropped like a hot potato. Potential is a great episode but it's a bit like Selfless for Anya - a great episode in the moment but one that then renders them superfluous to the story once it is over.

Oh - I guess Anya in s7 would come in at number 6.

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
1. Ripper - There were plenty more eps where we could've either had the Ripper side of Giles come out to play but didn't or had a time travel to his Ripper days but didn't. Ripper, sad to say, is a lot more fun than Giles. Love Giles, but Ripper is more fun to watch because a) I know Tony's having a blast with the role and b) I get to hear Tony's actual accent instead of the false one he puts on as Giles.
2. Halfrek - As Joss gave in and said Halfrek and Cecily were one and the same, I would've liked more interaction between her and Spike in S7. She was written out much too soon!
3. Tara - She actually should top the list. In my "Buffyverse," Tara is alive and well because Warren's robot girlfriend short circuited and fried him before he could do all the damage he did.
4. Cordy/Angel relationship in Angel - Sure, we got our circle closed in S5, but I wanted much more to happen before/if Cordy was going to get written off the show. I mean, doesn't that make for a much more tragic ending like the writers enjoy giving us so much?
5. Buffy/Ensouled Spike relationship - "Were you there with me?" "I was." And that's all they wrote? Give me an effin' break! We saw how passionate William was as a human in love, so why should he be different as an ensouled vampire? We should've gotten at least a tender lovemaking session, IMHO.
6. Riley - Marc Blucas is an extremely talented actor who was given a lot of humdrum material. (Go see the movie THR3E if you haven't, and you'll see what I mean.) If they'd given him more stuff as a juiced-up super soldier, fans wouldn't think Riley was such a dull character.

Nondenomifan
Spuffeleyicious!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Charles Gunn - so much more than just "the muscle" there was a lot to explore with Gunn, from his upbringing, to how he found out about vampires, to his unresolved issues with his sister's death, to his inferiority complex over his lack of book smarts (even though he was highly intelligent) to the aftermath of the deal with W&H, Gunn was so underutilized and under-appreciated.

Jenny Calendar - from her background as a Romani to her torn loyalties between her people and the Scoobies, to her magic and how much she actually knew/practised to her relationship with Giles, I really wish that Jenny had been expanded more as a character, and even though I know her death served a big narrative purpose, part of me really wishes she had survived and become a bigger character.

Drusilla - the only one of the Whirlwind who didn't get more expansion, she really deserved more exploration. I would have loved to see more of her life before she became a vampire and more of her as a vampire, especially on her own and as separate from Spike and the Whirlwind. She really could have become a much bigger and more threatening player if the series had allowed it.

Dawn Summers - they could have built so much on her being the Key and had her still have powers which she had to discover. I also loved the development she started to get in Season 7 and I really wish that season had focused more on her and we could have seen her mature more. I was also very much on board with her being a Potential, especially with the whole Summers' blood/made from Buffy angle, as it would make sense that the Slayer power would be passed on that way.

Anne Steele - I love Anne and I love her few appearances in AtS but I wanted more. She really fit in with the characters on AtS and I would have loved to see her return and help them out with cases and become a friend. I feel like there was a lot more to explore and discover about Anne (especially with regards to her background and how she became so alone and lost) and I just wanted more of her!

Top Bottom