• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tru Calling or Dollhouse

Tru Calling or Doll House

• Tru Calling

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Dollhouse

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I like Dollhouse better but I really loved Tru Calling too and I miss it. I haven't seen it in so long. I only remembered it after it being mentioned on the boards. As I type this I'm going to Amazon to buy the show:D
Hmm, not a bad idea. I shall also look into the purchase of this show (right after I buy Dollhouse ;))

Whirlwind

Faith's Boy Toy
Dollhouse. It did have the benefit of getting a great ending though. I also found it more thought provoking than Tru Calling.

That said, I did love Tru Calling, and I wish the show could have lasted as there was a lot of potential in it, especially after they introduced Jason Priestley's character.

Cheyanne Suttle

Potential
I think TRU Calling ended right when it was really getting its footing. Had it had a couple more seasons like season 2, I would def say TRU Calling. Buuuut Dollhouse is amazing. amazing cast, amazing storyline, all the way around loved it.. I actually just got the season 1 dvds in the mail for it today!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Spot on.

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I liked both but I chose Dollhouse. I have forgotten most of Tru Calling and not Dollhouse so I guess it had a bigger impact on me.

Cohen

Warrior
I was honestly surprised that Dollhouse didn't win in a landslide :p

I really like Tru Calling (and am now considering a 3rd rewatch, hmm) but it was nothing compared to Dollhouse. TC was a fun (sci-fi? fantasy? both?) show, in the same vein as Charmed, but Dollhouse makes you think (makes your brain hurt, even) and, as @Iwearthecheese said, it was ahead of its time and, in some ways, it still very much is. For me, there is no doubt; TC is enjoyable, but Dollhouse is the far superior show.
The original season 2 of TC was going to make your brain hurt too. While Jack was initially shown as the “bad guy” we were going to start to see it from his perspective, starting with Jensen’s turn to crazy since he was not supposed to be saved. We were also going to get a Jack rewind, where a victim asks him, and not Tru to be saved, so then Tru gets the rewind from jack’s perspective. The whole series was going to make your question who was serving the greater good. Fox didn’t allow TC to get there. I think it was before it’s time too. People were so used to sci fi being about good vs evil, having to question and think deeply about the “evil” side was lost on viewers. Season 1 ratings were not that bad. Fox canceled before season 2 even began airing. It was a shitty way to treat the show. I think it would have caught on if it had been given the chance. But fox is notorious for being gun happy with series.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Don't know if that direction would have worked for TC or not but would have been interesting to see.

Cohen

Warrior
The mythology was going to be well developed. I can’t remember where I read it. The EP explained it all soon after the series ended.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
T We were also going to get a Jack rewind, where a victim asks him, and not Tru to be saved, so then Tru gets the rewind from jack’s perspective.
We actually did get that episode, it's one of my favourites and is definitely a great look at Jack's character as well as the dynamics at play with the rewinds. The reason the victim asked for Jack's help is really interesting and adds a new layer to the show.
Fox canceled before season 2 even began airing.
There were six aired episodes of Season 2 and the show was cancelled right after filming for the sixth episode wrapped. It really sucked because the show was just starting to really delve into its mythology.

I think that Dollouse is the superior show in terms of writing, themes and characterisation but I always found Tru Calling more entertaining and emotional. Plus I much prefer Eliza as Tru than as Echo. I really wish we'd had more seasons of Tru Calling as I think the show would had developed into something really fantastic.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Dollhouse, I thought Tru Calling was mostly awkward to watch and I wouldn't watch it again. I do remember being excited about the final episode, but then, that turned out to be the final episode…

I watch Dollhouse quite a lot actually, more than I thought I would back when I first watched it.

Mr Trick

Scooby
One of the problems Tru Callings has is if you just watched the first 4-5 episodes you might be put off watching the rest. It really comes into its own around episode 6 or 7 and never really looks back. Who knows how good the show could have been if given longer.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
One of the problems Dollhouse has is if you just watched the first 4-5 episodes you might be put off watching the rest. It really comes into its own around episode 6 or 7 and never really looks back. Who knows how good the show could have been if given longer.
Fixed that for you, and agree! :p I’d say it is the problem of both shows, really, slowish starts

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
That's it I'm suing!

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I prefer Dollhouse, I own it on disc, I've seen it at least 3-4 times through. I might even try to do a rewatch sometime next year. Haven't seen Tru Calling in a few years now, but I still enjoy it.
One of the problems Tru Callings has is if you just watched the first 4-5 episodes you might be put off watching the rest. It really comes into its own around episode 6 or 7 and never really looks back. Who knows how good the show could have been if given longer.
I think Dollhouse has similar problem with its first few episodes, it also turns around in episode 6. I think modern audiences are just more used to serialized shows rather than episodic shows. Besides, cop/medical dramas and sitcoms. I wish Tru Calling wasn't canceled so abruptly. Eliza and Joss don't have good luck with Fox shows. lol

Mr Trick

Scooby
I prefer Dollhouse, I own it on disc, I've seen it at least 3-4 times through. I might even try to do a rewatch sometime next year. Haven't seen Tru Calling in a few years now, but I still enjoy it.

I think Dollhouse has similar problem with its first few episodes, it also turns around in episode 6. I think modern audiences are just more used to serialized shows rather than episodic shows. Besides, cop/medical dramas and sitcoms. I wish Tru Calling wasn't canceled so abruptly. Eliza and Joss don't have good luck with Fox shows. lol
True, but you could at least see the promise of Dollhouse as a concept in those first few episodes. It was a hit and miss more than out right bad. Not that Tru Calling was out right bad. But it seemed more disposable based on the first few episodes.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
True, but you could at least see the promise of Dollhouse as a concept in those first few episodes. It was a hit and miss more than out right bad. Not that Tru Calling was out right bad. But it seemed more disposable based on the first few episodes.
No, you're right. The potential for Dollhouse was there from the beginning, I think that's partly attributed to Joss. With Tru Calling it never really reached it's potential, and things didn't get interesting until they brought on Jason Preistly. Still like the show though.

Top Bottom