• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Underrated/Overrated

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Hi all! I’ve listening of songs that I think that are underrated and I thought that I’d be fun to create a thread for underrated/overrated stuff. Feel free to post anything that you believe that it’s underrated/overrated: t.v. show, songs, singers, music genres, cars, scenes, couples, ships, gadgets, movies, books, places, actors, actresses, directors, pets, jobs, quotes… anything goes.

Let us know:
  • Is it underrated or overrated?
  • Why do you think that it's underrated/overrated?
  • And if you remember, how did you come across it?
I’ll start, I was listening to Brooke Candy’s Nasty, I really like it and I think that Brooke Candy is underrated. As said by “bestfan,” it “blurs the lines of music genres and explores the ideals of identity, gender, and sexuality” and as described by Brook Candy herself “it’s subversive, spiteful, sexual and spirited… it doesn’t cnform to the status quo.” Personally, I really like the beats, it’s a blend of electropop, pop-rap, pop punk and club-rap. I found her through Spotify a couple of years ago.

Black Thorn
Overrated
Veronica Mars
(sorry everyone, I know you all love it)
The show is alright, it's just meh. The characters are annoying and seem to use their experiences as an excuse for their crappy behaviour. The mysteries in each episode are kinda dull but the overall arc was pretty good though.
I Will Remember You, Angel season 1 episode 8
I never understood why this episode was so popular, the only part of it I really liked was the fact Buffy was in it, and she was happy.
The Vampire Diaries
I know this came before Twilight but the beginning is basically the same. The show felt like it had gone past it's prime super early on, I already didn't like the romance but it felt like it constantly kept dragging after they randomly kept mixing up the relationships - not to mention when Elena wasn't in it for a few seasons. The characters didn't really interest me apart from Damon and then they turned him good. I liked the Originals though, their spin-off was much better than it's parent series.
Star wars I and II
I feel like this is only a reaction to people hating the sequels, but The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are bad.
Marvel films
Don't get me wrong, they are good, just not amazing. I don't really like many of the characters apart from Deadpool and Rocket, I used to like the Iron Man films but now I just find them boring. The Thor, Captain America, Avengers movies are good but I really just prefer DC I was never as bothered with Marvel.
Fred x Wesley
I don't understand the hype for this, he was literally just pining over Fred for ages until she finally liked him back. They were okay, just not something I particularly cared about.
Jack Shephard
How do people actually like him? He's annoying and the only doctor on the island, so he puts himself in danger all the time. How is that useful? He should be the one who everyone should try and protect because he's a doctor. They should have let Sayid take charge.

K
katmobile
Completely with you on Jack can't bear the sanctimonious prick and cheered with every punch Sawyer gave him in the penultimate season finale
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
but Fred & Wes were so damn perfect for each other! Should've been together for years before they died! but that's what makes their love story a tragedy like Romeo + Juliet
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
100% agree with @fauxindigo :) I love Fred and Wes so much!!!

Lizzy95

Townie
I think cats are overrated. I love those furry animals but there's this cult around them that I don't get, a picture or two are fine, but we have tons of videos and pictures everywhere and they keep coming! Haven't we seen enough videos of kittens playing already? Jeez... sorry for the rant.

Kratos

Potential
@genghiskhan I agree with mostly everything you said aside from I Will Remember You.

Overrated:
Game of Thrones. I know it’s one of the most popular tv shows, but I couldn’t even get through the first few episodes. Too many characters and settings. Also, it’s supposed to be a medieval type series yet all the characters only speak modern English lol.

Underrated:
The Fugitive tv series. It doesn’t seem to get talked about much, but like Star Trek TOS, it was ahead of its time back in the day and dealt with a lot of issues. Also, like Buffy, it’s a hard show to describe. Kimble having the burden of being a fugitive reminded me of Buffy having a similar burden as the slayer. Great acting from David Jensen and Barry Morse. Came across it when a friend recommended that I watch it and surprisingly enough it’s now my favourite tv show.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I'm just not watching GoT because of spite as there's an insane amount of adverts for its game when I'm trying to watch a youtube video.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Underrated
Films

• Josie & The Pussycats; for some reason critics hated this film, completely missing the satire of it and the way it was mocking/sending up consumerism and the way celebrities affect fads and trends.
  • Spiceworld; everyone thinks it's just cool to hate on the Spice Girls and anything associated with them, so they miss the part where this film is completely tongue-in-cheek and mocks the media, the hype surrounding the girls and the girls themselves, who all cheerfully play ridiculous caricatures of themselves while fully aware of the satire.
  • Black Christmas; one of the first slasher films made, this film flies under the radar mostly thanks to the popularity and hype which surrounded Halloween which came out two years after it. Black Christmas is well-written, has an intriguing and subversive Final Girl and one of the most unsettling and creepy endings of any horror film.
  • Penelope; a beautiful modern Fairy Tale with a gorgeous aesthetic and some subtle but hilarious black humour, it subverts standard Fairy Tale tropes and ends up being a quirky and fun coming-of-age story with Christina Ricci playing the main character wonderfully.
Books
  • Sharp Objects; the HBO series sparked some interest in it, but everyone tends to focus more on Gone Girl (which is also a great book). But Sharp Objects is dark, wry, deeply unsettling and a very interesting and intriguing read.
  • Kristen; a relatively unknown Australian horror novel, it's a brilliant and captivating tale of a teenage girl on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge after her entire family drowned in a yachting accident. A really interesting read, with lots of drama mixed in with the horror and a great villain in the titular character.
Shows
  • Angel; because BtVS is so beloved (I'd even dare say a tad overrated) people tend to forget about AtS, which is a shame, because I feel that it improved upon BtVS while carving out its own identity and became such a brilliant show in its own right.
  • Dollhouse; I call this one the Forgotten Whedon Show. I get that the premise was odd and a bit problematic and it suffered from some uneven storytelling, but it's got great characterisation and some really interesting themes and philosophies.
  • LOST; people, like, really love to hate on LOST and dismiss it as too convoluted or stupid, but it's actually a really great show with incredibly strong characterisation, great character arcs and a plot which actually does come full-circle and make sense if one sticks with the show until the end.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I love lost!!
Puppet
Puppet
Totally agree on every post in the movie section!
Athene
Athene
Penelope is great
SuperGirl80
SuperGirl80
Yeah, I'm among those that don't like Lost... :/
Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Soooooo agree with Dollhouse!!!

fauxindigo

Scooby
Overrated
Keeping Up with the Kardashians
Superhero Movies
Emily Blunt
Katy Perry
Taylor Swift
Drake
Michael Kors
Religion
Coffee
Superhero Movies
Being Famous
Being Straight

Underrated
Being Gay
The Buffyverse
The Fountain (movie)
Blood & Chocolate (book)
Veruca Salt (band)
Doomsday Prepping
Being open minded & free spirited
Dancing
Road Trips
Upstate New York
Riding Horses on beach/shore/in water
Chocolate Covered Strawberries

K
katmobile
Agree with most of it apart from sexual orientation I'm on the team I'm on I just am and I wonder sometimes if I'm asexual. But do not rag on coffee!
r2dh2
r2dh2
I LOVE coffee! But I can see why people might think that it's overrated.
Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
Can't fight the seether! 😁
Black Thorn
Penelope; a beautiful modern Fairy Tale with a gorgeous aesthetic and some subtle but hilarious black humour, it subverts standard Fairy Tale tropes and ends up being a quirky and fun coming-of-age story with Christina Ricci playing the main character wonderfully.
I have a grudge against it so I don't think I'll actually watch it but from what I've heard it's enjoyable.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Apple is overrated and overpriced.

I’m looking to buy a new computer, I have a MacBook, I made the change from PC to Mac 5.5 years ago, people sold me the idea that they were much better… however, I think that the MacBooks are massively overpriced and overrated. Yes, they are nice and look cool, but you can get something similar in other brands for way less money. Besides you need to get a bunch of additional gadgets that already come integrated in other computers. But I’m still drawn to them… like a moth to a flame. I'm trying hard to return to a PC.

Last edited:
SuperGirl80
SuperGirl80
Apple is so expensive.
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
We are getting a window into your mind. Or windows.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
The Beatles : overrated (IMO).
In the sense that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would agree. However, considering the reality that music today (almost regardless of genre) would sound completely different had The Beatles never existed, I would have to disagree :)

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Overrated:

Monogamy
Starbucks Coffee
Clubbing
Vampire Diaries
The Spice Girls
Motherhood
Energy drinks
Michael Fassbinder

Underrated:

Reading (a real book)
Death Metal
Simple picnics
Camping
Train trips
Satanism 😛
Banana Daiquiris
Pranking
Clove cigarettes

Puppet
Puppet
Pretty much agree with your entire second list (except for that last one, I quit smoking last year) :D
nightshade
nightshade
I prefer strawberry daiquiri
Black Thorn
Underrated

Star wars: The Sequel Trilogy
They're not amazing but they definitely rank consistently better than the prequels. TFA was very good, TLJ had a good plot in regards to Kylo Ren, not so much with Finn.
Reading old literature
People my age tend to stick to modern young adult fiction but there are some old books that are absolute gems. I can't just limit myself to a specific part of a genre like that.
Mongol
How could I not put this on the list? Tadanobu Asano's portrayl of Genghis Khan is amazing as well as the beautiful Mongolian actress, Chuluuny Khulan as Borte. Also, it's in Mongolian which is a big bonus!
Zodiac
This is one of my favourite films, the lack of attention it got still confuses me. I thought it was very well made and I liked the detail of the murders.
Merlin
Probably the only tv show I know of that gets better as it goes on, and is also loads of interpretations of the Arthurian legend put together and the more interpretations you see and read the more references you notice. Also it knew when to stop, it reached a definitive point and stopped, unlike a lot of tv shows.
Primeval
Okay so the CGI is pretty bad, but it is highly entertaining I love the characters, plots and the creatures in this!

Tank1978
Tank1978
Completely agree on the old literature. 2 of my favourite authors re Charles Dickens and HP Lovecraft
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I agree with old books, even as a kid. But I became insufferable when I started reading Lovecraft at 17 because the prose & old fashion words cracked me up for some reason and I'd use any excuse to start speaking in that prose since it made me laugh

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
Underrated:
Reading contemporary lit, aside from young adult fantasy and ghastly Swedish rape-murder crime thrillers. Pretty much every book we get at the lost-and-fond at the airport where I work is a crime novel. I almost kissed a Russian that was carrying a giant tome by Ursula le Guin.

The Star Wars sequels, because Kylo Ren is the best Star Wars character ever, aside from Boba Fett and HK-47 of course. In my headcanon, Adam (character not the actor) from Girls got himself launched into space and stumbled upon a cape and a lightsaber and just rolled with it.

Top Bottom