• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Underrated Spuffy

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
All the good he does when he doesn't have a soul. Some fans say you should not count that because once he got a soul he was a different person. Of course you should count it, it informs on the decision to get a soul. They also say that if you count the good he does without a soul you can't overlook the bad he does without one. Of course you can overlook it when judging the character - he was soulless, he was supposed to do evil things.

W

WillowFromBuffy

That's a tricky question to answer, because people are drawn to it for such different reasons. However, I think Spike's final line to Buffy in "Chosen" is brilliant.

"I love you!"
"No, you don't. But thanks for saying it."

It really shows how Spike's way of thinking has changed since he got his soul, and there is a beautiful poetic irony to it.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Agree. It's totally in character for him to say that. He never believed he was good enough for her so the idea that she loves him is unbelievable to him.
W

WillowFromBuffy

It's more a "what is it to you" question than a "one definitive answer" kind of question.

:)
I get that, but sometimes it's very easy to say what I wish people appreciated more. This time it was a little tricky. But thinking about it, I am quite happy with my choice.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
No worries :) Just trying to clarify my intentions.

I think the chemistry between Sarah & James circa Something Blue (and episodes of that period) is underrated. The adversaries & unlikely allies relationship was very good.

B
Btvs fan
Im not sure it was underrated. Everyone talks about Something Blue and how it put a stake in the Riley relationship
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Agree! They had great chemistry from the beginning to the end. But I always say that James has good chemistry with everyone. He's that kind of actor.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I think the chemistry between Sarah & James circa Something Blue (an episodes of that period) is underrated. The adversaries & unlikely allies relationship was very good.
Totally agree. I even have "Something Blue" av. I don't think the bit were they are under the spell is all that interesting, but I love their dynamic throughout the season.

Btvs fan

Scooby
A good question.
That Spike was the Boyfriend that got on great with her family. He also put up with a lot of crap from Buffy even when he didnt deserve it, ie Buffy screaming at him in Gone and the Beating in Dead Things.
When he was Souled. That he wasn't looking for anything, he just wanted to help

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
That he got on with Dawn and Joyce is a good point. I never thought about that one.

Btvs fan Im not sure it was underrated. Everyone talks about Something Blue and how it put a stake in the Riley relationship
I feel like everyone talks about Spuffy later on, and doesn't give credit to the first inklings. I used Something Blue as a reference point but it could be any ep in that general time period.

Black Thorn
I feel like everyone talks about Spuffy later on, and doesn't give credit to the first inklings. I used Something Blue as a reference point but it could be any ep in that general time period.
Yeah, when I first watched Buffy, I thought it was always weird that Spike seemed to want to help her and then convince himself not to or seemed to care about her for a moment. They are more about Spike's feelings than Spuffy but I still found it interesting.
The specific moments I can think of when this happens is in The Becoming pt 2 "Oh God he's going to kill her." - then he shrugs and leaves.
Also in Where The Wild Things Are - he chooses to help her and then convinces himself that he doesn't want to and leaves.

katmobile

Scooby
You may want to check out the Still Pretty review of Lovers' Walk I found myself going yup, yup, yup to every point re: Spuffy that Lani made. She also said that people get too attached to one ship and end up attacking everyone else whilst sailing on multiple ships is possibly and mentioning no names there are some on here who aren't us who could do with taking that on board.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Still Pretty is AWESOME!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
In Season 4, I like when they wind each other up like a pair of children. Platonic Spuffy is fine, can't ship them as a pairing though.

Spike is best with Dru (Obviously :p ) but I don't think Buffy has found her "one" yet. She certainly has some deep feelings for Angel (and vice versa) but circumstances are against them which means they can't truly be together. She needs to move on.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
No way. Disagree. Spike is her soulmate.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
He's always there for her, no matter what. I think it's commendable to have somebody so devoted to you who stays by your side in bad and good times.

Also, I like very much the episode when he opens Buffy's eyes regarding the pain of Willow (after Tara's brain was sucked by Glory). Willow's life was probably saved by his insight:

BUFFY: (realizing) You think she'd...? No. I told Willow, fighting Glory'd be suicide...
SPIKE: I'd do it.
Buffy looks at him. He looks to the ground.
SPIKE: Right person. Person I loved.
And back to her eyes.
SPIKE: I'd do it.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall
I also love Bangel, but this is true.
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Great example!

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
Aw, this is a cool thread! 💜 Underrated Spuffy - for me it's the first time Spike sees Buffy dancing at the Bronze. It's one sided (Buffy loves Angel), and it's definitely not love at this point (Spike still loves Dru.) But he's clearly drawn to her and attracted to her almost against his will - there's something there.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Exactly. There is a physical attraction right off the bat. I argue he's drawn to her power and turned on by it. And throughout their relationship he never falters in this.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think the way Spike seamlessly transitioned into the role of the star of the show in the final season goes largely underrated. It was a very smooth transition. Too bad there were not more seasons to see how it would have progressed. There have been other shows that have tried switching leads it failed miserably.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Spike breaking down when Buffy dies in "The Gift" make me teary every time 😢, he loved her so much in his own way.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall
Omg, this scene is truly heartbreaking. Not only Buffy is dead, but all the Scoobies seem to be in shock and Spike cannot hold back his sadness. It's so intense.
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Yeah. I think this is really important, actually. Finding out Buffy is dead literally brings him to his knees.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
People tend to value more Spike's loud and grand gestures to get Buffy's attention and approval, but my favorite Spuffy moments are the gentle, tender and subtle moments post resurrected Buffy, when the only thing that Spike was offering was someone to listen, when she didn't feel comfortable opening up to her friends. Early S6, in the magic box alley or on the porch of her home. Buffy desperately only needed a sympathetic ear, and Spike provided that, without any self-serving attempt or desire to get credit for it. Scenes like those are what was underrated about Spuffy, to me. Those moments are the ones that sometimes persuade me that Spike was more than just an evil demon, that he could possibly be more.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall
so true!
Top Bottom