• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unhealthiest Relationships, And Healthiest Relationships!

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
What do you think are some of the most unhealthy relationships in the Buffyverse? What about the healthiest?

Please be kind and respectful.

katmobile

Scooby
It hurts to say but season six Spuffy takes the biscuit from unhealthiest although Angel and Darla's in Angel season two's is too. Wiliah isn't as bad as at least some respect and honesty there and less outright abuse.
Healthiest were Willow's two at their best - Woz in late season three and Tillow in season five after Family (it gets a few points deducted from Tara keeping secrets before then).

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Unhealthiest:

Tillow: It's relatively fine before this But in Season 6 Willow thinks little of taking away Tara's ability to consent, editing and deleting her memories as a way of control. The only way Tara puts a stop to this is by doing what anyone in an abusive relationship would do; she leaves. She only returns when Willow makes major substantive changes to herself; basically rehabilitating herself, and even then Tara fully admits that she's 'skipping' some necessary steps in order for them to be together.
Spuffy: Season 6 was obviously unhealthy, in fact so unhealthy many consider it abuse. It's certainly brutal to watch Buffy hack of her own hair or break down on Tara's lap.
But Season 7 should also be included given that it has a victim of sexual assault being forced to comfort the person who 'got a soul for her' mere months after the trauma. And he proclaims his feelings over and over until it has the desired effect. Whether you consider this romantic or not it is simply yet another crossing of boundaries that borders on emotional blackmail.
Weslah: Wesley is sleeping with the enemy; a woman who (unapologetically) tried to engineer Angel into eating his own son the previous year and continues to be an adversary to Angel Inc. It's fascinating to see Wesley sink this low and it takes an actual biblical-style apocalypse to snap him out of it.

Healthiest:

Willow/Oz: Pretty much all of it. It was sweet and mostly uncomplicated high school romance.
Fred/Gunn: Sweet and nice, So no wonder it didn't survive one of them murdering some guy so the other wouldn't have to. Not to mention the tensions of an oncoming apocalypse. No wonder they broke up.
Buffy/Riley: It wasn't abusive or controlling. It was the healthiest of Buffy's relationships by a fair margin. But it did fall apart because of a confluence of internal factors (Riley's silly insecurities, lack of communication, Buffy focusing on exploring her slayer-ness) and external pressures (Dawn's presence, Joyce's illness, Spike).
The Burkles: The definition of the nice, old married couple.

Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
Good analysis.

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
It hurts to say but season six Spuffy takes the biscuit from unhealthiest although Angel and Darla's in Angel season two's is too. Wiliah isn't as bad as at least some respect and honesty there and less outright abuse.
Healthiest were Willow's two at their best - Woz in late season three and Tillow in season five after Family (it gets a few points deducted from Tara keeping secrets before then).
Yes, I don’t think this even a question. Spike and Buffy hit rock bottom in S6 and it’s difficult to watch. A feeble attempt to defend them is to emphasize the circumstances. Buffy is depressed and when you are experiencing depression, you’re numb and consumed by the thoughts that make you unhappy. And in the case of Spike, Buffy had been his moral compass so far and she’s lost this season. He truly loves her but we’ve debated enough what it means “to love” for a vampire without a soul. He does a lot of selfless acts, but in S6 he’s selfish and wants to bring her into the dark with him.

DayDreamer27

Potential
Unhealthiest
1. Spuffy
for me.
2. Tillow had some serious issues as well. that were mentioned above.
3. Season 5 Briley became a complete mess because they needed a way to get rid of Riley for Spike. So...that's another one. lol

Healthiest
I think Woz was good. They had genuine issues when it came to indiscretions. But nobody came off abused, sick, or traumatized. Oz went away to control his wolf so he wouldn't hurt Willow. And despite the cheating issues, they still wanted to give one another chances.
2. When Angelus isn't in the picture, I think Bangel is a nice relationship. It has it's drama & flaws like Woz, but nobody came off violated, abused, or mistreated.
3. Season 4 Briley didn't seem to bad. Flawed, but not a mess like it became later.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Healthiest
Kennedy Willow (yup I will get burnt at the stake for this)
Gunn Fred (my memory is a little fuzzy on that one though)

A bit of both
Willow Tara
Willow Oz
Riley Buffy
Xander Cordy
Xander Anya
Wood and Faith
Wes Fred

Unhealthiest
Angel Buffy
Spike Buffy
Wes Lilah

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Spuffy, since "Hey, I'm going to make you watch your friends dance while it is strongly suggested that I'm sodomizing you" is technically not the darkest moment of the relationship.

Healthiest: Buffy and Xander. Xander had a crush on Buffy. After several missteps, he asks her out. She says no. She latter grinds him. He latter gets seduced by her much hotter Shadow self. (This is an author insert character, isn't he?) They probably would have hooked up at some point in their early twenties, if not for the events of season 7.

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
Unhealthiest:
Season 6 Spuffy- I ship Spuffy in some seasons, but this season is very upsetting except for a few eps. They are only not unhealthy in the first few episodes of season 6, and Once More With Feeling, where I find them a bit cute. Otherwise, though, season 6 is SUPER unhealthy, and even OMWF tbh.
Tillow when Willow starts wiping Tara's brain, for obvious reasons
Season 5 Briley: He cheats (kind of) on her, he resents her, no one has fun
Drusilla and Angel/Angelus- He broke her sanity, killed her entire family, and manipulates her to this day. Dru deserves better.

Healthiest:
Season 4 Tillow- Such sweet! Much cute! They are lovely together in season 4, and quite a bit of season 5.
Seasons 2-3 Woz: This relationship is just precious until the whole Veruca thing
Wow, Willow is really lucky in love, huh?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Kennedy Willow (yup I will get burnt at the stake for this)
I actually agree with you. I may not like it but Kennedy and Willow had a long and healthy relationship, not epic or intense or anything but its probably what Willow needed.

Wood and Faith
I'm not sure since we don't see like, 80% of them together, but certainly afterwards we never Faith in any sort of sexual/romantic relationship again, so I'm gonna assume Wood did a major number on her.

Blaze
Blaze
Good point about Wood, I was basing it only on their short amount of screen time in s7

Ceadsearc03

Potential
Unhealthy: like many people have said, Spuffy especially in season 6.

Healthiest: Willow/Oz

Early Tillow. Clearly not when Willow started acting all nuts.

Bangel had potential if Angelus was permanently under control but not as it stood

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
I don't get what's so unhealthy about Spuffy in S6. Maybe I repressed much of it, but considering the type of show it is, and the people involved in the ship, I just didn't think it was unhealthy.

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
I don't get what's so unhealthy about Spuffy in S6. Maybe I repressed much of it, but considering the type of show it is, and the people involved in the ship, I just didn't think it was unhealthy.
The AR, the punching each other/Buffy actively using Spike, Spike pushing Buffy away from her friends, etc.

Spanky

Black Thorn
The sexual assault wasn't Spuffy though, as they had broken up. It was Spike.

the punching each other/Buffy
The were two superpowered people that enjoyed wrecking stuff, don't see that as unhealthy.

Spike pushing Buffy away from her friends, etc.
Who really weren't being very good friends anyway. Again, I don't really see it as being unhealthy. Certain not from a Spuffy standpoint.

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
They were never really “dating” in S6 though, not in the normal sense of the word. I don’t see why when he attacked her it’s “not Spuffy” if any of season 6 is “Spuffy.”

DayDreamer27

Potential
The sexual assault wasn't Spuffy though, as they had broken up. It was Spike.

The were two superpowered people that enjoyed wrecking stuff, don't see that as unhealthy.

Who really weren't being very good friends anyway. Again, I don't really see it as being unhealthy. Certain not from a Spuffy standpoint.
When Buffy is on her knees sobbing for Tara to tell her she's wrong because of the relationship she's allowed herself to be in, it doesn't scream healthy. Spike violates her personal space & sexualizes her hair, and she starts hacking it off. Usually a sign if trauma with women. Then there's her having garlic all over her room & hugging crosses to keep Spike away. And whether the Scoobies were being the best friends is moot. In the end, those were her loved ones that Spike is telling her she doesn't belong with. In addition to making hrt doubt & hate herself with talks of how wrong & twisted she is just to drag her into darkness.

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
All of this. Like or dislike for later Spuffy aside, season 6 was a mess, and Buffy hated herself for the situation she was in, which is hardly the hallmark of a healthy relationship. It’s not the casual (or even rough) sex aspect that’s the issue.
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Also Buffy committed sexual assault on Buffy in Gone. Spike had to kick her out. Also don't forget the sodomy on the balcony while her friends were dancing on the lower level of the Bronze.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Unhealthiest:

1. Warren and Katrina, so unhealthy it was fatal to Katrina.

2. Pete and Debbie in "Beauty and the Beasts". Pete would have killed her if Angel hadn't terminated him first.

2. Angel and Darla.

Healthiest:

1. The Burkles.

2. Riley and Sam. The family that slays together stays together.

3. Kennedy and Willow. Kennedy broke the obsessive connection between Willow and Tara and stayed with her through the transformations between Willow and Warren.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Although I think Angel&Darla are excused because of their vampirism.

Spanky

Black Thorn
When Buffy is on her knees sobbing for Tara to tell her she's wrong because of the relationship she's allowed herself to be in, it doesn't scream healthy.
That's because Buffy wasn't healthy. It bled through into all of her relationships- not just with Spike. I just thought it was Buffy being unhealthy and not so much Spuffy. Again, I preface that as I did initially in saying "the type of show it is, and the people involved in the ship"

Top Bottom