• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular Buffyverse opinions #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

katmobile

Scooby
I think he's amusing enough up until Dead Things then he's amusing as the First. He's never going to be on a top 10 favourite character list, but there are characters I dislike more than him.
He's despicable but I'd love to know who you hate more than him.

Priceless

Scooby
This is why this fandom is so wonderful, Kennedy a lesbian slayer is hated, while Warren a rapist and murderer isn't seen as too bad. (Hey I'm a Spike fan so I also see the irony of this 😂 )

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
“Wonderful” is sort of a word for it
K
katmobile
I hate Warren - I see him as the Joffrey of the Buffyverse I.e. he's meant to be a hate sink. Spike is much more ambivalent - I won't be fan shamed. There are things I could say about DD's take on the world but it's not worth getting in trouble for.

Antho

Scooby
Actually I kinda agree with DeadlyDuo. Warren isn’t that bad in season five in I was made to love you. I even have some pain for him because he was so desesperate to find love that he build a bot. That’s awful but terribly sad in the same time. People don’t know what it means to not be loved by no one and to have the feelings that you will be lonely all your life. That you don’t deserve to be love. That’s something I can relate to

K
katmobile
But it's the callous treatment of April and also did you miss her good girlfriends don't cry programming or him telling Katrina to shut up - he was always pond scum he just got scummier.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Actually I kinda agree with DeadlyDuo. Warren isn’t that bad in season five in I was made to love you. I even have some pain for him because he was so desesperate to find love that he build a bot. That’s awful but terribly sad in the same time. People don’t know what it means to not be loved by no one and to have the feelings that you will be lonely all your life. That you don’t deserve to be love. That’s something I can relate to
There’s lots of people who experience those same things but don’t turn into a dangerous incel who becomes the head of a crime trio and kidnaps and imprisons a woman, rapes her multiple times, and murders her. Not to mention the things he does to everyone else, including Shooting and killing Buffy and Tara. Yet somehow @DeadlyDuo thinks that if Willow hasn’t killed him he would’ve turned into a “nice guy” (said in another thread).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
There’s lots of people who experience those same things but don’t turn into a dangerous incel who becomes the head of a crime trio and kidnaps and imprisons a woman, rapes her multiple times, and murders her. Not to mention the things he does to everyone else, including Shooting and killing Buffy and Tara. Yet somehow @DeadlyDuo thinks that if Willow hasn’t killed him he would’ve turned into a “nice guy” (said in another thread).
When did he rape her? I'm legitimately curious, cause I remember her getting her own power back before he got a chance to do anything with her.

Antho

Scooby
He is a bastard in season six I agree. I have no empathy for this Warren. But in season five he certainly isn’t that bad and I can empathize with him

Antho

Scooby
Season 5 Warren is already treating his girlfriend like crap
We don’t see much of them together so I don’t know on what your judgement is based on.

he intentionally got it to attack Buffy so he could save his own skin.
That’s your interpretation. I have another one. Katrina was sleeping near Buffy or even on her leg and when warren said that he loves her he just showed the girls because they were at the same place. April attacks Buffy because she thought he was talking about her but it was surely Katrina he was talking about. And i don’t think it was his plan to distract Buffy and then leave. He didn’t leave immediately at the start of the fight. He looked at them then Katrina wake up started to cry and then ran and he followed her.

Faded90

Townie
I’d say season 5 Warren is a coward more than anything. Season 6 Warren has a sinister edge from Flooded, he’s the one that gives the demon Buffy’s address to kill her and tries to use the invisibility ray at the end of Gone to make Buffy disappear quicker. On both occasions Jonathan and Andrew are adamant they don’t want Buffy to die

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
When did he rape her? I'm legitimately curious, cause I remember her getting her own power back before he got a chance to do anything with her.
You’re right, he hadn’t yet. He was planning to and then the others discussed taking turns. It was attempted rape. Katrina made it very clear as the cerebral dampener stopped working: “You bunch of little boys playing at being men? Well, this is not some fantasy! It’s not a game, you freaks! It’s rape!”

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
This is why this fandom is so wonderful, Kennedy a lesbian slayer is hated, while Warren a rapist and murderer isn't seen as too bad. (Hey I'm a Spike fan so I also see the irony of this 😂 )
To be fair, Warren is considered a villain, and Kennedy (while highly annoying) is one of the 'good guys'. So I think that it's almost like comparing apples and oranges vampires and slayers. ;) Obviously for their actions, you would think that people would dislike Warren more than Kennedy. However, on the sliding evil scale, Warren doesn't rate all that well. Kennedy would obviously do fairly well on the opposite goody scale, but is still highly annoying.

Priceless
Priceless
I like Kennedy, but I think the comics help with that.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@katmobile Have the courage to post your snarky comments in an actual post rather than trying to hide them in the comments on other people's posts. If you have something to say about my "take on the world", have the guts to come out and say it. If you have a problem with me, be honest about it instead of passive-aggressive.

Kennedy being a lesbian has nothing to do with it. Your post implies that her lesbianism is what makes her hated and that is categorically untrue. It's her actions and behaviour from the moment she arrives and from that point onwards that makes people hate her.

There’s lots of people who experience those same things but don’t turn into a dangerous incel who becomes the head of a crime trio and kidnaps and imprisons a woman, rapes her multiple times, and murders her. Not to mention the things he does to everyone else, including Shooting and killing Buffy and Tara.
Warren didn't rape Katrina, and certainly not multiple times. Anya and Spike both murdered innocent people during their demon days, Spike tried to rape Buffy, Anya tried to get Xander's friends to make a wish so she could do something horrible to him, Willow tried to curse Oz. Xander's love spell made women throw themselves at him, Buffy wanted to murder Kathy. Spike kidnaps and chains Buffy up in Crush. Buffy was straddling RJ despite him being a minor and deliberately gaslighted the social worker.

The scoobies aren't whiter than white yet have "good guy immunity". Warren is supposed to be a villain.

Also, you will note that I say UP TO Dead things and then as the First. I specify time periods.

Yet somehow @DeadlyDuo thinks that if Willow hasn’t killed him he would’ve turned into a “nice guy” (said in another thread).
I'm basing this on how he was characterised in I was Made To Love You before the Scoobies got involved in his life.

Katrina is not the type to stick around with someone who would treat her badly. She dumped Warren after the truth about April became known and April tried to kill her. She and Warren were staying at Warren's mom's house, that's a big step in any relationship. Katrina and Warren were dating for at least a little while so she must've seen something in him that didn't turn her off.

Also, I said that Warren would seem like the "nice guy" at work to his work colleagues. There's a difference. I also said he would probably change his name. In effect he becomes "the mask". For example, everyone might see "Tim from accounting" rather than Warren Mears and by wearing the Tim mask for so long, eventually Warren embraces the Tim identity as his own. I also said that eventually Warren and one of the scoobies would cross paths and things would begin to unravel for him.

Season 5 Warren is already treating his girlfriend like crap in addition to creating a sentient love-slave robot which he then abandoned. Then when the robot caught up to him he intentionally got it to attack Buffy so he could save his own skin.
April was what Warren thought a girlfriend should be like because he lacked experience. Katrina was the opposite to April yet Warren loved being in a relationship with her.

We don’t see much of them together so I don’t know on what your judgement is based on.
Agreed. Katrina is not the type of person who would willingly be around someone who didn't treat her properly, ergo until April showed up and the fallout of that, Warren was treating Katrina right which is why she stuck around.

To be fair, Warren is considered a villain, and Kennedy (while highly annoying) is one of the 'good guys'. So I think that it's almost like comparing apples and oranges vampires and slayers. ;) Obviously for their actions, you would think that people would dislike Warren more than Kennedy. However, on the sliding evil scale, Warren doesn't rate all that well. Kennedy would obviously do fairly well on the opposite goody scale, but is still highly annoying.
It's about looking at the overall picture of behaviour. Kennedy is awful from the moment she turns up, Warren has his bad moments but also his not so bad moments. The bad moments don't negate the good moments (otherwise Spike's AR of Buffy would've been the end of his character).

I specified (which certain people have deliberately ignored in their haste to judge me negatively), that Warren would never make a top 10 favourite character list but that there were characters I disliked more than him. Apparently for some people that is an unacceptable opinion to have.

A special shout out to @Antho for not jumping on the bandwagon. It's appreciated :)

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
"Kennedy being a lesbian has nothing to do with it." Totally true ! Kennedy is just an irritating & annoying character! She's hated because of her annoying attitude.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom