• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

*Unpopular Opinion?* I Hated Xander

IHateParkerA

In A Wacky Broadway Nightmare
I...didn't like Xander. He was annoying, mildly pointless and he just was difficult to watch on screen. For the first 3ish seasons I hated him. He did have his moments, but overall, was a pain. I only started to like him mid-season 4 when he had Spike living with him, him and Anya were good, he began to improve, did anyone else have this.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Finally, someone else who never really understood his appeal, lol

katmobile

Scooby
I didn't like him much for the first three seasons either and there are moments in the subsequent seasons he annoys the hell out of me too. You're not alone he's contentious but I've learnt a lot about his POV enagaging with his fans and he improves a lot in the comics especially season ten.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I didn't like a number of things did . He got away with way too much & never got called on it . One of the things was when he made Amy cast a spell just because he was dumped & we never got punished for it . He spent years putting Cordelia down & then when she dumps him he acts like he was scocked & then does black magic & gets away with it .

sosa lola

Scooby
One of the things was when he made Amy cast a spell just because he was dumped & we never got punished for it .
He was punished in the same episode.

1. The narrative punishes Xander from the beginning by backfiring the spell, getting his hopes up about Buffy only to crush them to pieces, getting all the girls Xander didn’t want to fall obsessively in love with him with nowhere to hide, heck so many women came on to him and could have raped him (No one can stop Buffy if she decided to jump his bones after he asked her not to) Jenny and Joyce, older women who kept touching him without consent. Heck Drusilla made him shake with horror as she tried to turn him to a vampire.

Xander in this episode was subjected to a lot crap that women usually get subjected too. Being touched and harassed without his consent.

And most importantly, the narrative punishes Xander by turning every female in Sunnydale against him and striding to murder him. If Giles and Amy’s spell was a minute’s late, Xander would have been killed because of his actions.

2. Giles made it absolutely clear that Xander was an asshole for what he did and kicked him out of the library. He couldn’t even stand the sight of him.

3. Willow stopped talking to Xander after the spell was over.

4. Oz punched him in the face.

5. Angel tossed him from the top of the roof to the ground - which should have resulted to Xander breaking something in his body - and almost killed him to leave his dead body as a present to Buffy.

Basically, none of that would have happened had Xander not asked Amy to do the spell. Which means that this list of punishments was done to Xander because of his actions!

BaskingINBangel

"Peanut butter, preferably crunchy!"
Xander is one of my least favorite characters. I'm not sure I would say that I hate him though. There are moments where he royally pisses me off, (more often in the earlier seasons) but then in the later seasons, I can see some character growth and that makes him more tolerable to me.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
4. Oz punched him in the face.
I was actually annoyed at Oz for that. Everyone was trying to catch the Buffy rat and Oz's actions led the Buffy rat to escape. Plus Xander didn't do anything to Willow. Hs lack of romantic interest in her is nothing new, essentially Oz punched Xander for turning down Willow. Oz was an idiot in that scene.

5. Angel tossed him from the top of the roof to the ground - which should have resulted to Xander breaking something in his body - and almost killed him to leave his dead body as a present to Buffy.
I disagree. Angelus was targeting Buffy's friends so Xander's actions had nothing to do with what Angelus did. However Drusilla saving him could've been considered a positive of his actions which was quickly turned into a negative when she wanted to turn him into a vampire, but then again the horde of females saved him from Drusilla.

Xander is one of my least favorite characters. I'm not sure I would say that I hate him though. There are moments where he royally pisses me off, (more often in the earlier seasons) but then in the later seasons, I can see some character growth and that makes him more tolerable to me.
I agree to an extent. It's so much easier to pick out the scenes where Xander is awful eg the whole "you disgust me" scene in Entropy, his berating of Buffy at the end of "Into the Woods", his participation in the mutiny against Buffy, etc. He does have good moments but they are overshadowed by his bad moments.

Overall I think Xander fits in well with the scoobies and it's just the lack of consequences he suffers which makes fans feel like they have to pick up the slack for the other characters.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Completely agree on Oz

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I was actually annoyed at Oz for that. Everyone was trying to catch the Buffy rat and Oz's actions led the Buffy rat to escape. Plus Xander didn't do anything to Willow. Hs lack of romantic interest in her is nothing new, essentially Oz punched Xander for turning down Willow. Oz was an idiot in that scene.
Except that's not why Oz punched him. He didn't know why Willow was upset, just that she was. All kinds of worst-case scenarios must have been running through his mind as he tracked down the guy that made his girlfriend sob all night long. And, when he finally did punch him, he immediately calmed down and helped Xander up. I have absolutely no problem with what happened, I love Xander but he deserved a swift punch in the face for his actions.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Except that's not why Oz punched him. He didn't know why Willow was upset, just that she was. All kinds of worst-case scenarios must have been running through his mind as he tracked down the guy that made his girlfriend sob all night long. And, when he finally did punch him, he immediately calmed down and helped Xander up. I have absolutely no problem with what happened, I love Xander but he deserved a swift punch in the face for his actions.
Given that Willow was upset because Xander didn't want to take her virginity, especially as she was under a spell, Oz doesn't have a leg to stand on. What exactly is Xander supposed to say? "I'm sorry Oz that I refused to sleep with your girlfriend when she threw herself at me because I actually respect her and didn't want to take advantage."

Xander and Willow have a deep friendship that has lasted since they were in kindergarten. If they had a falling out then something was amiss so it was worth finding out what that was. Xander's not some random jock that would lead Willow on then ditch her. Oz's actions are stupid, he hits first before finding out the facts and as a result the Buffy rat escapes and is put in a precarious position.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm a Xander fan. Though the first time I saw it I tended to be more annoyed with him than I was in subsequent viewings, and also saw Willow as being more innocent than she was. After a second (and later) viewings Xander looked better to me while Willow was less polished, which made them roughly equal in my eyes (and love them both, though both really screw up and can be infuriating at times, like all the other characters).

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
Same. I felt the same on both the first go round (granted I was a teenager at the time) but doing a full rewatch now has changed my POV a lot.

Puppet

Black Thorn
Given that Willow was upset because Xander didn't want to take her virginity, especially as she was under a spell, Oz doesn't have a leg to stand on. What exactly is Xander supposed to say? "I'm sorry Oz that I refused to sleep with your girlfriend when she threw herself at me because I actually respect her and didn't want to take advantage."

Xander and Willow have a deep friendship that has lasted since they were in kindergarten. If they had a falling out then something was amiss so it was worth finding out what that was. Xander's not some random jock that would lead Willow on then ditch her. Oz's actions are stupid, he hits first before finding out the facts and as a result the Buffy rat escapes and is put in a precarious position.
The first paragraph makes no sense. It's already established that Oz didn't know why. So of course Xander couldn't say that, because that's not what it was about. Also, just because Oz is laid-back, does not mean he's perfection itself; everyone has a trigger and this made him snap. Is that a good thing? No. Can I understand it? Hell yeah.

And blaming Oz for Buffy the rat getting away? Why not just blame Xander for why Buffy is a rat in the first place? Or Giles for leaving with Jenny so Xander would be alone and therefore vulnerable to other bespelled women? Oz is no more to blame than anyone else, except of course for Amy who cast the spell, but then she was under a spell herself at the time. Do we even know if Xander would have caught the Buffy rat if Oz hadn't walked in when he did?

It just seems weird to blame him for that, but I guess we just see it differently.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The first paragraph makes no sense. It's already established that Oz didn't know why. So of course Xander couldn't say that, because that's not what it was about. Also, just because Oz is laid-back, does not mean he's perfection itself; everyone has a trigger and this made him snap. Is that a good thing? No. Can I understand it? Hell yeah.
That's the point though, Oz didn't bother to find out why Willow was upset and he didn't try and ask Buffy or Xander for elaboration. As it currently stands, Oz punched Xander because Xander refused to take Willow's virginity which upset Willow. Oz punchched Xander for not slepping with Willow despite Willow being Oz's girlfriend.

And blaming Oz for Buffy the rat getting away? Why not just blame Xander for why Buffy is a rat in the first place? Or Giles for leaving with Jenny so Xander would be alone and therefore vulnerable to other bespelled women? Oz is no more to blame than anyone else, except of course for Amy who cast the spell, but then she was under a spell herself at the time. Do we even know if Xander would have caught the Buffy rat if Oz hadn't walked in when he did?

It just seems weird to blame him for that, but I guess we just see it differently.
Everyone had the Buffy rat cornered but then Oz interfered which gave the Buffy rat enough space to escape.

Puppet

Black Thorn
As it currently stands, Oz punched Xander because Xander refused to take Willow's virginity which upset Willow.
If you assume that that's what Oz assumed, then you must not think very highly of him. Willow did not explain why (which we've already established) so why Oz would jump to the conclusion that the reason was Xander turning her down...I'm baffled, honestly.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If you assume that that's what Oz assumed, then you must not think very highly of him. Willow did not explain why (which we've already established) so why Oz would jump to the conclusion that the reason was Xander turning her down...I'm baffled, honestly.
The point is that Oz didn't bother to find out why Willow was upset, he didn't ask Buffy or Xander what had happened to make Willow upset. He just punched Xander which led to Buffy rat escaping.

The fact remains that, because Oz didn't bother to ask, he essentially punched Xander for not sleeping with Willow despite Willow being Oz's girlfriend.

Puppet

Black Thorn
The point is that Oz didn't bother to find out why Willow was upset, he didn't ask Buffy or Xander what had happened to make Willow upset. He just punched Xander which led to Buffy rat escaping.

The fact remains that, because Oz didn't bother to ask, he essentially punched Xander for not sleeping with Willow despite Willow being Oz's girlfriend.
Then my new head canon is that Oz punched Xander because he refused to run away with Willow and join the circus. Since we're, y'know, making stuff up to fit with our view of a character. (that's very sarcastic, so I apologize, but leave it as is)

The point is, because we don't know why Oz punched Xander, you have chosen that it must have to do with sex. And my point, throughout several posts now, is just that I don't understand why you would make this assumption and me wondering if you don't like Oz. You don't need to keep repeating yourself, because I think we're misunderstanding what the other one is trying to get across.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The point is, because we don't know why Oz punched Xander, you have chosen that it must have to do with sex. And my point, throughout several posts now, is just that I don't understand why you would make this assumption and me wondering if you don't like Oz. You don't need to keep repeating yourself, because I think we're misunderstanding what the other one is trying to get across.
The point I'm trying to make isn't that Oz assumed Willow was upset due to sex, but that he didn't even bother to try and find out why she was upset from either Buffy or Xander. As a result, Oz is essentially punching Xander for not sleeping with Willow (despite the fact that Willow is Oz's girlfriend) because that is what Willow is upset over.

Does that make sense?

Puppet

Black Thorn
The point I'm trying to make isn't that Oz assumed Willow was upset due to sex, but that he didn't even bother to try and find out why she was upset from either Buffy or Xander. As a result, Oz is essentially punching Xander for not sleeping with Willow (despite the fact that Willow is Oz's girlfriend) because that is what Willow is upset over.

Does that make sense?
Okay, thanks for the details, makes much more sense now. I thought you were saying that you thought that Oz made that assumption, which was just very confusing. I still disagree with blaming Oz, but I do understand your side better now. You feel as though Oz should've at least tried to find out why before turning to violence, which I would usually agree with. I just like this moment because Xander kinda deserved it, whether Oz was aware of that or not, imo :)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I just like this moment because Xander kinda deserved it, whether Oz was aware of that or not, imo :)
If it had happened when they weren't trying to catch the Buffy rat I'd agree, but as it stands Oz picked the most inopportune time to punch Xander and as a consequence the Buffy rat escaped and nearly got killed.

Puppet

Black Thorn
i did not know my 'unpopular opinion' would start this.... Damn
No offense, but you're stating a negative character opinion. That was obviously never going to just pass by unnoticed :)

Top Bottom