• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular opinions

Priceless

Scooby
I guess my most unpopular opinions are . . . Buffy loved Spike in Season 6 and that this show has real depth and there is meaning in everything, nothing is 'out of character', the later seasons are the most interesting ones and that the comics are pretty good.

What are your most unpopular opinions?

A
Alexisalexis
Glory is overrated. Caleb is boring. My favorite season is season 4. I love Riley. I don't know if Buffy loved or was using Spike in season 6 and the comics I have started them. I found them boring. I do not know where have I put them.
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I agree with all of this!

Faded90

Scooby
Cordelia in S3 of Angel is her worst season. I tell myself she’s already possessed by Jasmine post Birthday

Sanctuary is the most anticlimactic garbage in the verse and does such a disservice to Faiths character as it reduces Her to mostly being a plot device for Angel and Wes stories as well as to distance the show from Buffy. Thank god Eliza came back for S4 and 7 to finish her character in a way that was actually about her character

The ‘Buffy is a ruthless dictator in S7’ is WAY overblown and is only really the case in Get it Done and possibly the end scene of Empty Places.Outside of that she’s extraordinarily patient and kind to people when she has people pretty much lining up to be snarky to her in her own home.

Robin Wood is the secret villain of most of S7, he’s mostly either following the advice of The First or encouraging Faith to believe it in Touched.Pre Chosen nothing he does to help is to simply well, help. He only ever helps in this time when there’s something in it for him

Spuffy almost ruins S7 and Buffy’s character, it only ever works when Buffy is miserable and taken away from her real support network. End of Days is one of my favourite episodes because I have my quippy, ass kicking back in the bosom of her friends hero back

Last edited:
Athene
Athene
Agree about Spuffy in s7
Last Watcher
Last Watcher
Me too :)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spuffy was a millstone for Spike's character. He should've stayed with Drusilla where he was much happier.

I don't hate Warren.

Riley is not a good guy and displays a lot of "red flag" behaviour.

Season 5 is overrated as is Once More with Feeling.

The Zeppo is also overrated.

Faded90
Faded90
Agree completely about Riley
Athene
Athene
The Zeppo is underrated I think but I do love Xander so
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I'm with you on OMWF

IndianaSolo221

Potential
Not sure if this is technically an unpopular opinion, but Wesley needs more credit for the development his character had. I know there are a few fans who like Wesley, but typically when you hear fans talk about well developed characters, they bring up Spike, Cordy, or even Buffy herself, and they don't really mention how much Wesley evolves in AtS.

Athene
Athene
I agree with this
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I'm with you here

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
  • S4 of Angel is the best season
  • The Prom, Amends, I Will Remember You, and Once More with Feeling are overrated AF
  • Spike shouldn't have been in Angel S5
  • BtVS should've ended with The Gift (most of you know this about me)
  • Pricey, I see your S6 unpopular opinion and raise it with; I believe Buffy loved Spike in S5

B
Btvs fan
You weren't getting a season 5 without Spike. That was one of the conditions
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Love Angel S4 also. I'm with you on The Gift being a better place to end the show

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
Characters
I like Dawn and Connor and felt for them in their situations of their creation
I like Riley upon rewatching and feel that he came to the realization that Buffy never truly let him in
I'm ok with Kennedy even though she could be annoying
Spike is my number least favourite and most overrated character in the buffyverse and I feel he is put too much on a pedestal and his horrific actions are brush aside or not acknowledge even with compelling evidence
I grew to love Angel more as a series lead than Buffy even though I do acknowledge that SMG is a stronger actor than DB
I think that Wesley's development is the best ever in the buffyverse and that AD English accent is on point

Couples
Even though Angel and Cordy never became a couple, I do believe they grew to love and appreciate each other in a good and healthy relationship (although I didnt quite feel it more than a family vibe)
I'm not a fan of Willow and Tara and definitely prefer Willow and Oz but Tara is a nice enough character
I do not like the Buffy and Spike relationship in any shape or form and believe TPTB made the wrong call in putting Buffy in another relationship with a vampire. I believe that they were to vigorous in constantly putting all three of the scoobies in serious relationships and not have them casually dating
I like Angel with Nina because it was a casual relationship with no expectations which they both could just enjoy for what it was

Episodes
I feel that Becoming is the best season finale
I don't feel that OMWF is that particular a great episode and it is only rated well because it is a musical episode
I like Chosen as a series finale episode but think Not Faded Away is a more exciting series finale episode
I find Spin The Bottle and Tabula Rasa equally funny but prefer Spin The Bottle

Storylines
I think because of the events that happened with Spike teaming up with Adam to get The Scoobies showing his effectiveness even with the chip that Spike should have been killed off
I don't think they should have had the story of Giles looking like he was abandoning Buffy in series six and he instead have him having to leave back to England for personal reasons due to family
I think that the AR story was right for the Spuffy relationship as it was then and it keeping in with Spike's true nature and characteristics as a demon despite his feelings for Buffy
I believe that Buffy's initial storyline of her recovery over her ordeal at the beginning of the final series got lost in Spike's arc of redemption

Series/seasons
I feel that series 1 is under appreciated even though for me it's the reason I started watching the show and loved it by the end of the series
I consider series two the game changer for the show as a whole and think it is the best ever series in the buffyverse
Both series two and three of both shows are when they are at there best
I prefer series five of BTVS over ATS series five
I feel that the final series of ATS would have been better without Spike and would have wish for another former scoobies member to made an appearance (even though I know that it was the reason way series five was made)
I still don't get much enjoyment from BTVS series six and seven and would not miss them if they weren't done.

Faded90

Scooby
As much I have huge issues with S6 and 7 (I only ever rewatch a handful of S7 episodes) I think ending it at The Gift would have been awful - as much as The Gift is astonishingly good. Buffy dying at 20 because some monks couldn’t give up the ghost and forced their problems onto her (as much as I like Dawn) wouldn’t have sat right with me. Plus imagine how hated Dawn would be in the fandom? Eek!

Plus Buffy would then have became one of the slayers she’s researching in Fool for Love ‘great protector, scary battles oops she’s dead’. I’m happy to have sat through the misery of S7 (at points) to get to Chosen. Buffy sharing her power and changing the world and creating a legacy is just the chefs kiss of endings for her and I feel like the scoobies themselves get a better ending. The Gift leaves too many questions but not in a nice open ended way like Chosen

The comics are an AU Buffyverse characters. They aren’t my TV Buffyverse characters, just as an example I point blank refuse to believe Amy hid in a bush to save Warren for well.... reasons apparently. Plus we literally saw Willow magic away his body.WE SAW IT HAPPEN!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Dawn is an unnecessary character and was nothing more than a plot device in Season 5.

Andrew was annoying and should've been killed off rather than Jonathan. He needed Warren to play off of which is why his best scenes in Season 7 were with the First disguised as Warren.

Warren wasn't a bad guy in Season 5 but his character was rewritten to serve as an antagonist in Season 6.

Connor was extremely dumb. For someone who survived on their wits in a demon dimension, you'd think he would be a bit smarter.

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
Pricey, I see your S6 unpopular opinion and raise it with; I believe Buffy loved Spike in S5
That's not an unpopular opinion with me 😀 I think Buffy grew to like Spike in Season 5, to accept him as part of the group and someone she can depend on. Spike is great with Joyce and Dawn, and I think the fact they like him sways her a lot.

I like Season 5, but 6 and 7 are my favourites, especially season 6. As you know, I think the show would have been pointless if it had ended in Season 5 - Buffy would be just another slayer who died doing her duty, nothing special about her at all. Season 6 allowed her to grow up, something no other slayer got to do and Season 7 allowed her to become the woman who changed the world 😍

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
  • I find myself constantly, legitimately confused whenever I hear someone say that S7 is 'the Spike season' or that 'Spike/Spuffy' takes over, cause I genuinely don't see it. I don't think he's anymore in it than the previous three seasons.
  • Angel S3 is the worst season of all 12 Buffyverse seasons
  • Willow's character arc - from S1 to S7 - is not all that well-written when you look too closely
  • Xander was a much better friend to Buffy than Willow, especially in the HS years - where Willow pandered to what Buffy wanted to hear, Xander wasn't afraid to be honest with her

Faded90
Faded90
Completely agree about Angel S3

Moggin

Tasty Townie
I guess my most unpopular opinions are . . . Buffy loved Spike in Season 6 and that this show has real depth and there is meaning in everything, nothing is 'out of character', the later seasons are the most interesting ones and that the comics are pretty good.
I'm feeling like your carbon copy, Priceless. I thought the factory refused to make any more like me.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
1. Xander was perfectly justified in telling Buffy that Willow had said, "Kick his ass" when Willow had been working on re-souling Angelus. At this point, Buffy would have hesitated and waited for Angel to return and probably would have been killed, along with the world.

2. I like Kennedy. She was the only one to want to be a slayer and she offered to be bait to capture a bringer. She interceded in Willow's life when Willow looked like she was never going to have another love after Tara (and I have seen this happen in real life) and although she was not the final answer for Willow, she was the right person to come along at the time. She was the one Willow entrusted to get the scythe to the slayers because she was the one most likely to get through, just as many armies chose their best soldier to be the flag-bearer in mediaeval times.

3. Buffy was not abusing herself nor was she incapable of making a rational decision in Season 6 when it came to Spike. Spike was the least judgemental and most perspicacious of her friends. And uninhibited sex that destroyed a building? Why wouldn't she want that?

4. Buffy, the successful general of Season 3 who organized bringing the mayor down had gone through a headlong deterioration by Season 7 where McGuffins were required (the scythe and the medallion) to defeat the enemy. In a rational plot, she and the potentials would have been dead. The show could have been called "The Rise and Fall of Buffy", just as Ats could have been called "The Rise and Fall of Angel".

5. Angel never signed away the Shanshu prophecy because he signed it "Anger" and since that was not his name, it was null and void. But you can't sign away a prophecy anyway - it's not a contract that you can waive.

NokLyf
NokLyf
Agree 100% with #2 - I've never understood the hate.
Top Bottom