• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Unpopular opinions

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Obviously Sarah’s comments have always been repeated a lot re S6 but I feel like people forget that James seemed to hate it just as much. He’s been vocal about hating all of the nude scenes he was having to do and how much weight he lost. He’s clearly uncomfortable about how romanticised the relationship was every time he’s asked about it. It’s clear from the dailies that he and Sarah got along well but it’s hardly surprising they each preferred Bangel and Sprusilla and not having to play constant misery
In my view it was unnecessary for Spike to be nude. The Spike/Harmony scene in THLOD where Spike was just shirtless was more "hot" than the numerous naked Spike scenes. Sometimes less is more.

AstridDante

Potential
In my view it was unnecessary for Spike to be nude. The Spike/Harmony scene in THLOD where Spike was just shirtless was more "hot" than the numerous naked Spike scenes. Sometimes less is more.
I love all the Spuffy scenes and thought they were incredibly hot but I agree with you the gratuitous nudity of Spike was unnecessary, especially as SMG had a no nudity clause so it really highlights it. Also the scene with Harmony in HLOD, smoking hot

Buffy treats Xander exactly the same way as Xander treats Wilow in S1 and S2 (but for some reason, only one of them gets hate for it; guess which one...). Willow has a crush on Xander, but he ignores it so as not to ruin their friendship and when he starts dating Cordelia, Willow says awful things to him and about her. Xander has a crush on Buffy, but she ignores it so as not to ruin their friendship and when she starts dating Angel, Xander says awful things to her and about him. It's a total double standard to hate on Xander for it, but when Buffy does it, Xander still gets hate for not 'dealing with it and not trying to stick his nose into Buffy's affairs'.
I don't think the double standard is around Buffy though, it's around Willow. Buffy does nothing wrong and Xander behaves badly towards her when she doesn't like him back, he is rightfully castigated for that. In the Xander/ Willow relationship - Xander does nothing wrong, Willow behaves badly and yet she is not castigated, as she should be.
However Xander does make considerably more moves on Buffy and does assault her that one time - so perhaps Willow's one outburst is a bit more forgivable.

And I say that as a person who forgives Willow-the-worst-character-in-fiction absolutely nothing.

I think it's becoming a more mainstream opinion than an unpopular one, but I will state that I hate Willow.
I really don't think Xander is that bad or ever does anything unforgivable. He is flawed - but so are we all. If there is any problem with him it is that his flaws never deliver a comeuppance. But then Willow is way worse and never gets what is coming to her either.
I don't think Wesley as an 'amazing character arc'. I think he stops falling over his feet and quits shaving and that's enough to fool some people. His inner self never changes from Bad Girls to Not Fade Away.
Fred and Gunn make a better couple than Fred and Wes.
Buffy is always right.
Dawn has good reason to be that annoying.
So does Connor.
Kate could have been a good character but was done dirty in the writing.
Lilah is better than Lindsey - is that unpopular? I don't know, I feel like Lindsey is more popular than he should be, Lilah is the one who puts the work in.

Crossbow

Townie
I hesitate to write this as I’m new and not sure what is considered “unpopular”. Also, I had never heard of any of the actors (except SMG - having seen “I Know What You Did Last Summer”) until Dec. ‘20.
1.The Xander character - I don’t think she would have kept him as a friend - all the weird sexual innuendo. I don’t find him funny either. When he first bumps into her, he says “Can I have you?”. I put myself in her shoes and remember HS and I know, I would have said “What?”.
Even after it’s clear she loves Angel, Xander makes ”digs” every chance he gets and Buffy never says “Shut up!”
2. I don’t think Buffy has to share any of her personal romances, hook ups, whatever with anyone.
3. Dawn should know how to make her own meals, hang out with her own friends, at 14 years of age.
4. I don’t think Buffy’s Dad would have abandoned her, as it was implied, especially after her Mom passed away.
5. Buffy carries everyone in the show and only Spike seems to see it. Breathtaking to me, really.

Faded90
Faded90
Agree with a lot of this but big yes to 3 and 4!

Cohen

Warrior
I hesitate to write this as I’m new and not sure what is considered “unpopular”. Also, I had never heard of any of the actors (except SMG - having seen “I Know What You Did Last Summer”) until Dec. ‘20.
1.The Xander character - I don’t think she would have kept him as a friend - all the weird sexual innuendo. I don’t find him funny either. When he first bumps into her, he says “Can I have you?”. I put myself in her shoes and remember HS and I know, I would have said “What?”.
Even after it’s clear she loves Angel, Xander makes ”digs” every chance he gets and Buffy never says “Shut up!”
2. I don’t think Buffy has to share any of her personal romances, hook ups, whatever with anyone.
3. Dawn should know how to make her own meals, hang out with her own friends, at 14 years of age.
4. I don’t think Buffy’s Dad would have abandoned her, as it was implied, especially after her Mom passed away.
5. Buffy carries everyone in the show and only Spike seems to see it. Breathtaking to me, really.
Yeah Xander’s early seasons character really didn’t age well. But I do recall guys like that in high school who grew up to be very respectful of my women friends. I think the show definitely hits the horny high school guy nail on the head with him.

As far as Buffy’s dad, I think that is reflective of a typical Californian divorcée, who finds a new younger model and abandons the kids from marriage one. However, I would agree that maybe they could have had him check in. Or get eaten by a vampire in France.

Also, welcome to the boards! Don’t hesitate to share your opinions. You brought some interesting ones here to the thread! 🙃

Antho

Scooby
I dislike Ethan. Not because he is a big bad but because I don’t see the purpose of this character. Well, that’s not entirely right I see the purpose of the character which is to have some connection to Giles’s dark side and his past but honestly ? That’s something the show never explored in a deep way and it doesn’t brought much to the character of Giles. He is there like one episode in Season 2-3-4.. I’m not even sure I would call that an arc for Giles. Nothing against Robin Sachs, he is good, and two of the three episode he appears ( Halloween and Band Candy) are good but that’s not due to Ethan for me.

Faded90

Potential
Big agree. There were times when she was really going through it and needed help. There were times when she was suffering from trauma and partaking in some self destructive measures. There were times of miscommunication that led to arguments. But Buffy was never really wrong about anything.
Honestly I’m a complete sycophant and I can basically see everything from her side so I agree with her. If she’d done a ‘mad queen’ in Chosen and killed everyone I’d be on here saying ‘I think it was the right thing to do you know’ 😂

Top Bottom