• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Vampires and their bling

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Does anyone have an explanations (both in-verse and out) for the patterns of jewellery-wearing by Angel and Spike?

As the seasons progress there’s a noticeable decrease in Angel’s level of accessorizing. In S1 he’s got the full works – long silver necklace, the silver bracelet and the rings, one of which is the claddagh. By S2 I don’t see the bracelet appear again, but the rest is still in place until the very end of the season. Then in S3 they’re all gone by the time he returns from hell. The claddagh doesn’t make a return for obvious reasons, but also the necklace only reappears from ‘Enemies’ onwards.

Over on AtS, he’s wearing the rings again in the bar scene of the pilot, but they’re gone by the time we get to him and Doyle in his apartment. The necklace stays (most of the time) until around half way through the season, after which I can’t recall seeing it anymore. Finally, Angel puts on the claddagh again in Judgement when he is harbouring the hope of fulfilling the Shanshu but we never see it again after that. And then … no more jewellery for the rest of the show (if I’m remembering correctly).

So what happened? All I've got is that on BtVS Angel is the love-interest so the bling ups the sexy-factor. On his own show he's the lead and the hero so they tone it down - but that still doesn't account for all the different stages for me.

Interestingly, Spike only starts wearing jewellery in S6, and it coincides with his relationship with Buffy. Notice by the last scene of Smashed he has a necklace. This stays through Wrecked and then in Gone bracelets (similar to Angel’s original one) plus rings on both hands appear added to the mix. This stays until Seeing Red, when the jewellery disappears and isn’t worn for the rest of the show. I’m guessing in S6 the wardrobe dept were giving JM something to wear so he wouldn’t feel as exposed (plus the relationship/sexy-factor), but can there be any in-verse explanations? We’ve never seen Spike accessorize before, so did he raid Angel’s leftover jewellery stash in the mansion to appear more attractive to Buffy?

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
We’ve never seen Spike accessorize before, so did he raid Angel’s leftover jewellery stash in the mansion to appear more attractive to Buffy?
Maybe he raided Buffy's jewelry stash when he was raiding her undergarment drawer.

nightshade

I am a phoenix
Staff member
Black Thorn
Spike had jewellery in season 4, as he gave Buffy his skull ring in Something Blue

TriBel

Scooby
Bracelets - quite possible an allusion to handcuffs . Not simply actual handcuffs but ideological ones - Blake's "mind forg'd manacles" - interesting that Buffy feels the presence of handcuffs when they're not actually there. I'd also go poetical with the necklace but this time Coleridge -
"Instead of the cross, the Albatross / About my neck was hung". I'm ambivalent about the nature of the burden - but then I'm ambivalent about most things.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Other than the symbolic aspects, I think it might be that Spike wanted to look more "human" by presenting a more sophisticated appearance/look. It wouldn't be the first time Spike changes his wardrobe to impress Buffy and communicate what he believes to be a change in their dynamic as well as in himself.
This is also something that is reflected via the changes we witness in his crypt : it's become more comfy and more human by the start of S6, and will continue to be so all the way to As You Were, where it is partially destroyed. Similarly, when his and Buffy's uneasy post break up friendship ends up badly after the events of Entropy, and Spike is effectively shut down not only from Buffy but also from the rest of the Scoobies, the jewelry and fancy clothes are all gone and give place to the plain long-sleeved black shirt (similar yet different from his usual black T-shirt) - a new phase of his journey.

Taake
Taake
Love the new avatar, really catches the eye!
Top Bottom