• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Vampire's Change?

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I was listening to a podcast that got me thinking...

Do vampire's appearances change with age?

In S1 we have the Master, who was so old that he remained in permanent fruit-punch mouth vamp face. Then in S3 we get Kakistos, who is so old he has cloven hooves.

So, if vampires live for thousands of years, do they pick up different traits? Does this mean if Spike and Angel live for centuries more they're gonna start to change appearance??

I suppose the longer a vampire lives, the more they take on the demon's appearance and the human guise falls away completely.

The Buffyverse vampires just seem to act like giants cats in my opinion.

white avenger

white avenger
We've seen several examples of ancient vampires, such as the Master and Kokistos who seem definitely more bestial than what we see as normal, so apparently their "game" face changes over time. It would have been interesting to know if they still had a normal, human face that they just chose to not use any longer, or if, with progressing age, the vampire features become so dominant that the human face is lost altogether.

buffy1990
buffy1990
Definitely! It would be really interesting to explore.
We have no time frame for the ancient vampires. The Master was supposed to be 600 years old at one point, but that was dropped a while ago. Kissingtoast and Prince Of Lies, we do not know their age. Darla was 400 and very human. Dracula was about the same age, but he seems to have full control over the demon. I would agree the demon corrupts the body over time.

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I mean logistically, they are dead and no bodily functions are working to preserve their looks..... so whilst the trope has been to always look youthful I guess in "reality" their bodies would start to decompose.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Darla says something to Angelus about The Master 'outgrowing' his human form; it seemed like a worthy goal when she said it.
So it's like a level-up for a vampire if they reach a certain age; 'there you go, you look like an ugly badass'.

I'm guessing the Turok Han were also a reference to this, since they seemed like pure, well-aged vampires. Like a kind of jerky.

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Turkey Khan jerky!
Top Bottom