• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Vegan Sues Neighbors for Barbecuing

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
From Time

Cilla Carden, a vegan massage therapist from Girrawheen—a suburb of the Western Australian city of Perth, believed that her neighbors were using a barbecue as a new front in a long-running war between neighbors. “They’ve put [the barbecue] there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish. I can’t enjoy my back yard, I can’t go out there,” Carden told Nine News Perth. She filed a lawsuit in the Supreme Court of the state of Western Australia, claiming that her neighbors, Toan Vu and his wife and children, breached residential laws. “It’s deliberate, that’s what I told the courts, it’s deliberate,” she said in the local news interview.

While Carden claims all she “wanted…is to live my life in peace,” the lawsuit she filed also alleged that it was more than just the smell of grilling fish that was disturbing her. She also took issue with cigarette smoke in their garden, because the fumes waft over into her yard. She is also frustrated by the sound of the neighbors’ children playing basketball and making noise in the yard. The legal saga has dragged on since August 2017, according to The Guardian.

BaskingINBangel

"Peanut butter, preferably crunchy!"
Boy am I glad she is not my neighbor!

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen a lot more often considering here in the US we have so much tract housing. The houses are so close that you can basically stick your arm out of a side window and almost touch your neighbors house. And the HOAs are so out of control, you have to be careful what kind of flowers you plant.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
The law states that you have to have at least two foot to the fence between two properties in Western Australia.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Knowing the sort of people who live in Girrawheen, the fish smell that follows her everywhere isn't coming from the neighbours.

nightshade

I don't understand your definition of good news
Staff member
Black Thorn
Boy am I glad she is not my neighbor!

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen a lot more often considering here in the US we have so much tract housing. The houses are so close that you can basically stick your arm out of a side window and almost touch your neighbors house. And the HOAs are so out of control, you have to be careful what kind of flowers you plant.
Umm most houses where I live have ajoining walls, if you wanted you could put a door into next door! I actually know people that have done that, when in a relationship with the neighbour instead of moving into one house, they just made a door, so used both houses.

BaskingINBangel

Umm most houses where I live have ajoining walls, if you wanted you could put a door into next door! I actually know people that have done that, when in a relationship with the neighbour instead of moving into one
Yeah we have our share of those too. That would be even worse if you got a neighbor who didn't like your lifestyle.

Spanky

Black Thorn
That would be even worse if you got a neighbor who didn't like your lifestyle.
Who cares about that? It would be worse if you got a neighbor whose lifestyle YOU didn't like.

BaskingINBangel

Who cares about that? It would be worse if you got a neighbor whose lifestyle YOU didn't like.
That's true, but I'm a pretty easy going person, so I would be a lot more annoyed at someone constantly complaining about the things I do like BBQing, or complaining about kids playing in the backyard.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Its Girrawheen, the smell is really the least of her problems living there. It is a poorly designed suburb, but it'll all be flattened within 20 years anyway. That close to the city is prime real estate for the migrants!

The solution here is simple, order her to lick the walls. Then she wont even notice the basketball or fish anymore. Meth is vegan, surely?

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Does that mean I can sue my neighbor for continously blasting this gem?

I've no problem with Boney M, and I quite like this song, but not when played on repeat for over an hour at a time, so loud the floors practically shake.

To the lady in question I would recommend moving away from other people, because it kind of seems like she's the problem more so than they. People are annoying, deal with it, or take to the woods.

D
Dora
Perhaps she doesn't know how to stop it
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Its a shame you haven't got a river through your and her place, or you could have a log jam

Spanky

Black Thorn
To the lady in question I would recommend moving away from other people, because it kind of seems like she's the problem more so than they. People are annoying, deal with it, or take to the woods.
But there are bugs and other creatures in the woods. The fact of the matter is her neighbors should respect her enough to change their unhealthy habits to make it easier for her so she isn't forced to tolerate someone with differing opinions.

Taake
Taake
I respect your opinion enough not to disagree with it. Differing opinions, away with you!
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Oh Taake, are you suggesting he goes the way of the vegan or the Asian?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
there are bugs and other creatures
Plenty of those in Girrawheen too ;)

Look, maybe the neighbours are just trying to help her out, tempt her back to the logical side.

It is just not a good idea to kick up a stink... over a stink, in that suburb. They're even making a doco on it now.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Does that mean I can sue my neighbor for continously blasting this gem?

I've no problem with Boney M, and I quite like this song, but not when played on repeat for over an hour at a time, so loud the floors practically shake.

Was on road trip with relatives years ago. Was driving to Tennessee. The cousin/driver (who's car it was) played Bob Seger's greatest hits on repeat for like 5 hours! 😦 After a much needed food stop, one of my cousins hid their ipod! 😀 If I never hear Against the Wind again it'll be too soon... 😩

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
I'm really impressed by people who have the willpower to be vegans, however...non vegans are not out to get you, sweetheart. There are terrible things happening everyday, and THIS gets a lawsuit. Malicious fish cooking.

Taake
Taake
”Malicious fish cooking”, lmao!
ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Malicious fish cooking? What type of malicious fish cooks fish?

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
While she sounds like a peach, the neighbors don't sound like fun either. I have seen just how crazy neighbor wars can get so I take it seriously... Someone I know has had a 30 year back and forth with their neighbor... things that include a what is now a 30 foot galvanized fence and dead (poisoned) dogs and just plain vileness. The things that happen back and forth can be so terrifying and strange that if they end up in the press they just sound ridiculous. When a neighbor starts a harassment campaign, it can be so vague and hard to define, that it's not actionable. It's a lot like stalking combined with spousal abuse... a lot of gaslighting occurs. Invariably, there's bad on both behavior on sides, because the 'victim' (even if there is one clear cut victim) will eventually overreact.

People get territorial and irrational, and everyone gets stupid. If it gets to a certain stage, selling the house in question may become impossible (and of course, there can be other reasons for not moving). Cutting ones losses is something that doesn't occur to people who get embroiled. Domestics just get dangerous and scary. No one wants to buy a house next to someone in the middle of a war.

I have had jobs where signs were posted 'no cooking fish in microwave'. If it's right up your nose, it's a fairly obnoxious smell. And of course, when police get called 'it's just cooking' -- just like a domestic is 'just an argument'.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
The fences in that whole suburb are generally colourbond corrugated panels 2 meters high

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Some folk have no imagination, a fish wrapped in silver foil wired to the exhaust is great when the exhaust gets hot, finding it can be great fun especially if the exhaust curves over the rear axle.

katmobile

Scooby
I can see bith.Ok Veganism is NOT unhealthy its could if managed properly and actually it's a big problem the world is overfished. I couldn't do it as it would involve life without cheese. Don't be mean people.

I can see both sides - it's pretty obnoxious to be assaulted with the smell of fish which stink anyway if find eating them offensive but not to be able to use your own garden especially if BBQs are social and also to smoke if you want there aren't too many places you can do that. Maybe there needs to be a rota so each neighbour has garden time while the other one goes to the beach or BBQ one could experiment with veggie burgers once in a while or some combination of the two.

Spanky

Black Thorn
From the Post

Thousands of people are roasting an Australian vegan who took her neighbors to court over the smell of meat and fish from their barbecue — by planning a massive cookout outside her home.

Cilla Carden made headlines this week for her legal beef, in which she claimed the odors from her neighbors’ barbecues had destroyed her quality of life, 9News reported.

Now more than 3,000 people are planning to attend a cookout outside her Perth home, organized on a Facebook page called “Community BBQ for Cilla Carden.”

“Don’t let Cilla destroy a good old Aussie tradition, join us for a community BBQ, and help Cilla Carden GET SOME PORK ON HER FORK,” the event description reads.

The barbecue is scheduled for Oct. 19 — and vegans are not welcome, the page says.

Carden’s legal battle with her neighbors began last year. Her complaint was tossed out of court earlier this year, and she filed an appeal. The appeal was also rejected in July, but she has vowed to keep fighting.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Haha oh dear... Gotta love aussies? :p

I bet the farmers would even donate meat. They are really mad at vegans since they have started raiding farms to "save" the animals. Most of which end up dead through lack of knowledge about care. We are a big meat eating country, we are still a country that has plenty of fish off its coastline. The suburb is only about 15 minutes from the coast, nothing better than roasting up a fresh catch at home - it is more sustainable than vegan eating where we are.

GET SOME PORK ON HER FORK,
This is a reference to a long running meat advertisement

I bet they'll bring the police horses too, make it a real anti vegan parade...

Spanky
Spanky
Those adverts are cheeky
Top Bottom