• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Veronica Mars Revival Thread - SPOILERS for season 4!

BuffyBot22

Scooby
Exactly to all this. Piz and Parker felt like the network's way of ushering in cookie cutter, safe, bland characters to brighten up this dark noir world, but it just brought the whole vibe down a bit. Like they added nothing to the show. Now, contrary to every other VM fan, I'm not head over tennis shoes about LoVe, but at least they had chemistry and an interesting dynamic. Piz was to Veronica what Riley was to Buffy, you know? But if Piz was Riley, Logan is indeed Spike. Which is why I said I'm not exactly a shipper of them. Like Spuffy, they have intense chemistry and they sizzle every time they're on screen, but to drag this clearly dysfunctional relationship out throughout the movie and now the revival is just like, come on. I get it, people are crazy about them, but I don't want to see the same old "break up to make up" dance we saw a million times during season 3. Which is why I'm excited to see how the dynamic will change this season, since Kristen has said that Logan is on the straight and narrow now, while Veronica seems to be stuck at a crossroads. That's what I want to see, Veronica figuring out what she really wants from life, not chasing the same guy she's been on and off with since high school.
Yeah Piz and Parker were extremely misplaced characters. Like I think possibly in another genre they could have been okay. But in this one, every scene they were in, it was just distracting for me, bc they just didn't fit the vibe. And I'm not saying you have to be as emotionally damaged as Logan and Veronica to fit the vibe of the show, because I felt like Dick and Wallace fit in just fine. And we all know Dick is just a big goof and Wallace is just your typical good person.

I saw in another post of yours that Parker is coming back. EWWWW WHY WHY WHY?

Back to this post, now I am a total LoVe shipper. So Idk if that clouds my judgement, but I just hate the Riley/Piz, Spike/Logan, and Angel/Duncan comparisons.
I just feel like they only hold up on a very superficial level.
Piz is incredibly one-dimensional and just plain boring.
Riley actually starts off and ends his time on the show pretty dramatically. He may have been a bit bland, but he had some interesting storylines and I never felt like he drug the show down like Piz did.
Riley loved Buffy in a realistic way. To me, Piz put Veronica on this very weird pedestal. He idolized her without really knowing her.

Come on Angel is epic. And Duncan, well Duncan just doesn't have a lot going on there. Still better than Piz lol.

Now for Spike/Logan.
To me Logan is just this fascinating multi-layered very well-written character. He is beyond damaged and every time he is on screen I just really feel for him. And IMO besides in the very beginning of s1, Logan has always treated V pretty damn well.
Oh Spike, I mean for one he was a soulless monster. But even once he is ensoulled. He to me acts more like Piz in regards to our heroine, by putting Buffy on this unrealistic pedestal. Again loving her for no other reason than that he just does, bc he doesn't really know her. I mean of course Spike is way more charismatic than Piz, ya know how Logan is charismatic.

I guess I just don't see those comparisons.

I agree that I don't want LoVe constantly breaking up and getting back together in the revival, but for them to have no obstacles would also be unrealistic considering their personalities and their damaged pasts. They have a lot to deal with. And if RT does break them up, I just hope it's not a constant back and forth, but a break up that makes sense with hopefully a reconciliation before the series is over.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
Yeah Piz and Parker were extremely misplaced characters. Like I think possibly in another genre they could have been okay. But in this one, every scene they were in, it was just distracting for me, bc they just didn't fit the vibe. And I'm not saying you have to be as emotionally damaged as Logan and Veronica to fit the vibe of the show, because I felt like Dick and Wallace fit in just fine. And we all know Dick is just a big goof and Wallace is just your typical good person.

I saw in another post of yours that Parker is coming back. EWWWW WHY WHY WHY?

Back to this post, now I am a total LoVe shipper. So Idk if that clouds my judgement, but I just hate the Riley/Piz, Spike/Logan, and Angel/Duncan comparisons.
I just feel like they only hold up on a very superficial level.
Piz is incredibly one-dimensional and just plain boring.
Riley actually starts off and ends his time on the show pretty dramatically. He may have been a bit bland, but he had some interesting storylines and I never felt like he drug the show down like Piz did.
Riley loved Buffy in a realistic way. To me, Piz put Veronica on this very weird pedestal. He idolized her without really knowing her.

Come on Angel is epic. And Duncan, well Duncan just doesn't have a lot going on there. Still better than Piz lol.

Now for Spike/Logan.
To me Logan is just this fascinating multi-layered very well-written character. He is beyond damaged and every time he is on screen I just really feel for him. And IMO besides in the very beginning of s1, Logan has always treated V pretty damn well.
Oh Spike, I mean for one he was a soulless monster. But even once he is ensoulled. He to me acts more like Piz in regards to our heroine, by putting Buffy on this unrealistic pedestal. Again loving her for no other reason than that he just does, bc he doesn't really know her. I mean of course Spike is way more charismatic than Piz, ya know how Logan is charismatic.

I guess I just don't see those comparisons.

I agree that I don't want LoVe constantly breaking up and getting back together in the revival, but for them to have no obstacles would also be unrealistic considering their personalities and their damaged pasts. They have a lot to deal with. And if RT does break them up, I just hope it's not a constant back and forth, but a break up that makes sense with hopefully a reconciliation before the series is over.
Upon further examination, the comparisons between Buffy and Veronica's respective boyfriends are indeed superficial. Although, this is totally a me thing, but I still view Angel to be a bit bland. Not enough to compare him to Duncan, but I digress. Angel grows leaps and bounds on his own show, but he's still my least favorite character compared to the other characters. Shall I duck and cover? 👀😅

As far as Spike and Logan in relation to their individual characters, they do share a bad boy streak, and they're both very interesting and complex characters IMO. Now in relation to their respective partners, Buffy and Veronica, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Spike's love of Buffy spawned because he was obsessed with her just because, whereas Logan's affection for Veronica grew out of their shared circumstances. What I will say is that despite all this, I still think that they should try to go their own separate ways, especially since the new and improved Logan seems to have put his demons behind him, while Veronica is still battling hers. Now this will make for an interesting dynamic, similarly with Buffy and Spike, and I've said before that despite these relationships being clearly dysfunctional, there's still lessons to be learned from one another, and that's always a good thing in the long run. You have to go through the rain to appreciate the sunshine. I just feel like the LoVe relationship should run its course. Clearly Veronica needs to figure out what she really wants out of life, and Logan might have grown out of trying to sort through her emotional baggage. If Logan can heal, learn and grow from his experiences, then Veronica can, and should too. But sometimes you have to be alone for that to happen, like Logan going off to the Navy and coming back a changed man. I want Veronica to be comfortable with herself, is the gist of what I'm trying to say.

And let me add an additional ew to the whole Parker thing. Ew. 😣

BuffyBot22

Scooby
Upon further examination, the comparisons between Buffy and Veronica's respective boyfriends are indeed superficial. Although, this is totally a me thing, but I still view Angel to be a bit bland. Not enough to compare him to Duncan, but I digress. Angel grows leaps and bounds on his own show, but he's still my least favorite character compared to the other characters. Shall I duck and cover? 👀😅

As far as Spike and Logan in relation to their individual characters, they do share a bad boy streak, and they're both very interesting and complex characters IMO. Now in relation to their respective partners, Buffy and Veronica, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Spike's love of Buffy spawned because he was obsessed with her just because, whereas Logan's affection for Veronica grew out of their shared circumstances. What I will say is that despite all this, I still think that they should try to go their own separate ways, especially since the new and improved Logan seems to have put his demons behind him, while Veronica is still battling hers. Now this will make for an interesting dynamic, similarly with Buffy and Spike, and I've said before that despite these relationships being clearly dysfunctional, there's still lessons to be learned from one another, and that's always a good thing in the long run. You have to go through the rain to appreciate the sunshine. I just feel like the LoVe relationship should run its course. Clearly Veronica needs to figure out what she really wants out of life, and Logan might have grown out of trying to sort through her emotional baggage. If Logan can heal, learn and grow from his experiences, then Veronica can, and should too. But sometimes you have to be alone for that to happen, like Logan going off to the Navy and coming back a changed man. I want Veronica to be comfortable with herself, is the gist of what I'm trying to say.

And let me add an additional ew to the whole Parker thing. Ew. 😣
HAHAHAHA, no need to duck and cover. I can honestly see where people are coming from when they find Angel bland. I just don't feel that way. I find him very interesting and complex pretty much from the minute he steps on screen. He doesn't have flashy lines or big OTT character growth. Angel's growth is slower, more linear. And he is just a quiet man dealing with his demons. And I can see how that can be boring to watch if you're not into the whole brooding thing lol. I like my male characters brooding. But, I digress bc this isn't Angel the character thread.

I can also see where you are coming from here. And to me that was always the thing, I felt like Veronica was the one who got in the way of the LoVe relationship. And not just now, that Logan has matured, but even on the original show, I just felt like Logan was always really trying in their relationship, and Veronica was just finding every reason under the sun to mess it up. I mean I think that goes to her emotional damage/baggage. But come on, with little to no evidence she accused him of rape and then murder in back to back episodes. Then in s3, she was constantly thinking the worst of him, never just trusting him, and wouldn't let him in. I know Logan f*cked up on certain things too, it just never felt as extreme as Veronica's. However, I still ship them none the less. I guess I find them dynamic and complicated. I still stand by them not being toxic, but maybe not being the most functional relationship either. I like to think the only true toxic ship I'm fully behind is Chuck/Blair on GG lol.

Living Dead Boy
Living Dead Boy
I actually completely agree about Veronica being the main one holding their relationship back.

Living Dead Boy

Black Thorn
Every episode of Veronica Mars, ranked

So here we are. Our girl's finally on Hulu (the original seasons anyway) and there's another list thingy. What does you guys think of it? And what would you change about the list if you were to make your own?

Some thoughts:

Donut Run is ranked waaaay to low for me. The first time I watched this on TV I thought this was the best episode I've ever seen. My jaw dropped when the reveal was...revealed. One of my favorite TV moments ever just based off my visceral reaction to it. Top 10 for me, easily.

I like One Angry Veronica more than most fans. Always have, so I would've put that a bit further up on the list.

Clash Of The Titons should not be number 4, are you kidding? It was an entertaining episode for sure, for the karoke scene alone. But top 5 is a bit much.

Charlie Don't Surf shouldn't be that high either. Above Donut Run? Don't think so. Donut Run should be above most things. 😁

A Trip To The Dentist should be number one, followed by Leave It To Beaver. A Trip is a masterpiece of television. The best two back to back episodes ever.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Agree about One Angry Veronica, could've been higher, but then I have yet to get bored of the jury-duty cliche :)

The Girl Next Door is, to me, when S1 really picks up and takes off and I love the whole thing, definitely should be much higher.

Not surprised that most of the worst are S3 though ;)

Totally agree about Donut Run (had to look up summary first, though, didn't remember based on the title) that's a highlight for me and one of the few times I actually enjoy Duncan's story :p

The Quick and the Wed is too high, I think; it's a good romp but not that memorable.

I also agree about Clash but find that the rest of the Top 10 (barring the S3 finale until I've had a re-watch) is pretty accurate, if only in a different order than I would put it in. I still think the S2 finale is the best the show ever did, but the S1 Christmas episode is a perfect example of what the show does best.

Living Dead Boy

Black Thorn
@Puppet the only thing stopping Not Pictured from being pitch perfect was how rushed it kinda was, especially after the Beaver situation. Like they were trying to hurry up and wrap all the many threads of the season up quickly. Leave It To Beaver was very simple and elegant in its conclusion, largely because it had time and space to focus on the main mystery, as opposed to juggling many balls in the air. And the Keith cop out was like, I know this man isn't really dead. Veronica's reaction to it is what sold me, and Kristen gives one of the best performances of her career here, but I still feel like Beaver could've dialed down the evil villian role just a tad bit. But I'm sounding like I dislike the episode but I indeed love the hell out of it! 😁

Cohen

Warrior
I don’t know who did this list but obviously not a marshmallow die-hard. That some of the bland episodes got so high while some the greats got left behind in Sucksville proves this. Of course, I would have a hard time ranking these episodes.
Spit & Eggs and Papa’s Cabin should both be in top 10.

1. A Trip to the Dentist
2. Leave it to Beaver
3. Pilot
4. Spit & Eggs
5. The Bitch is Back
6. Like a Virgin
7. Not Pictured
8. I am God
9. Papa’s Cabin
10. Mars vs Mars

I would say the best gems are the episodes that wrap up arcs. I also like when the show plays around, like in “I am God” where Veronica is dealing with information overload and her dreams are plaguing her, or when “Spit & Eggs” starts in media res, and you are constantly trying to figure out what happened. Rob Thomas did so well weaving Easter eggs about the killers, I didn’t call any of the 4 main killers throughout the series (Aaron, Beaver, Mercer, and Tim) but I love how he named the characters of the third season (Tim FOYLE, hank LANDRY (like dirt laundry of the deans wife), 😂😂).

Living Dead Boy

Black Thorn
@Cohen wow, I learned something new today. Tim FOYLE? Hank LANDRY? Brilliant man, I tell you! I never put those clues together. You maybe smarter than Ms. Mars. 😂

The list definitely seemed a bit off to me too, but I'll always accept that people simply have different taste in things than I do. I mean we see how varied our Buffy lists can be. I like that we all don't have a hive mentality. But yeah, certain episode placements were kinda like....huh? If I had to do a top ten, it would probably look like this:

1. A Trip To The Dentist
  2. Leave It To Beaver
  3. Not Pictured
  4. Donut Run
  5. Pilot
  6. Spit And Eggs
  7. The Bitch is Back
  8. An Echolls Family Christmas
  9. Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough
  10. Hot Dogs

Cohen
Cohen
It’s okay I didn’t catch the names until my like 10th rewatch. 😂

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I am both giddy and disappointed with it. I'm giddy because it's a crime show, however I'm disappointed because the LoVe fanbase is so ridiculous that it isn't funny.

Puppet
Puppet
I know, right? They are almost as bad as the Bangel fanbase.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn

Yes, Kristen, please become the new Murder She Wrote and give us season after season worth of Veronica Mars! :D

Mylie

Scooby
I'm so pumped for this!!

I'm trying as much as I can to be caught up with my rewatch before the new season drops. I'm only annoyed that the final season of Orange Is The New Black is getting released on the same day because as much as I love VM, that's going to be my priority. I'd rather be spoiled on VM than OITNB and I've been waiting for that show to end for a while now. But I'll get to it right after.

So I have 29 episodes left to watch now + the movie + 1 book to read (I already read the first one when it came out) and only 1 week left!!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm so pumped for this!!

I'm trying as much as I can to be caught up with my rewatch before the new season drops. I'm only annoyed that the final season of Orange Is The New Black is getting released on the same day because as much as I love VM, that's going to be my priority. I'd rather be spoiled on VM than OITNB and I've been waiting for that show to end for a while now. But I'll get to it right after.

So I have 29 episodes left to watch now + the movie + 1 book to read (I already read the first one when it came out) and only 1 week left!!
Arh, you're stressing me out! I'm still in early S1 because I'm doing reviews for them! Also, what's this book you mentioned?

Mylie

Scooby
Arh, you're stressing me out! I'm still in early S1 because I'm doing reviews for them! Also, what's this book you mentioned?
Haha, sorry! It sure does seem to take a long time doing the reviews.

The book I have to read is this one : Amazon.fr - Veronica Mars (2): An Original Mystery by Rob Thomas: Mr. Kiss and Tell- - Rob Thomas, Jennifer Graham - Livres

It's part of 2 novels that were released after the movie came out. Rob Thomas said back then that they are canon and they'd remain canon even if there were a continuation in another format, which will be the case soon! I've read the first one (The Thousand-Dollar Than Line) but have yet to read Mr. Kiss and Tell (though I bought it when it came out).

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I'm so pumped for this!!

Actually less than that now. ;)

Cohen

Warrior
Listen! I’ve already watched 2 episodes and it’s even better than I thought it would be! I thought it was going to be butter fest with LoVe but they’re complicated inner selves make it work so well! Not going to spoil anything but I noticed the finale’s title is “Years, Continents, Bloodshed” which is obviously a LoVe quote so it makes me think something dramatic between them is going to happen!

Cohen

Warrior
3 episodes in and every one gets better and better. No mystery of the week, but I kind of like the serialized storytelling. Just need more Wallace/Weevil. Weevil doesn’t show up until the end of episode 3.

Living Dead Boy

Black Thorn
So I'm up to episode four of the new season. I will say that I miss the case of the week mixed with the general arc of the season format the show perfected during the first two seasons, but it makes sense when you think that these 8 episodes are told over the course of a small time period during Spring Break.

But I'm loving the new adult vibe we're getting. Veronica and Keith still have a bond that stands the test of time due to their amazing chemistry. The stories itself seems to be a lot of things happening at once, which is fair considering all the balls we're juggling in the air. Sometime I find myself wanting them to focus more on the core crew, more father daughter time, more exploration of Veronica's headspace, more Wallace, more Weevil. But all of my complaints take a backseat because I'm just so happy we get to see our favorite characters on screen again, so the good far outweighs the bad, and even the bad isn't really bad.

More importantly, it loses the fan service that the movie largely gave us. I remember saying I wanted to see how the LoVe relationship has evolved over time, and it doesn't disappoint. I'll admit that I'm really loving this new Logan, and although I'm not necessarily heads over heels about Veronica's continuing trust issues/stagnation that's happening, it's not because it isn't written well. Veronica's at a crossroads, something that's extremely relatable, almost too much. So I want my Veronica to overcome all of this trauma to become a more well rounded, stable, loving human being again because that's what she deserves and because I love her. Seeing her act like that towards Logan is really hard to watch because it's so real, and once again Kristen Bell makes us fall in love with all Veronica's flaws and imperfections.

All in all, I'm excited to see how the mystery unfolds. (When I say that, I mean that knowing a crucial part of the finale.) Due to Tumblr being the Hellmouth of spoilers, I was only a couple of posts into the VM tag when a key scene was spoiled for me. But just like life, it's about the journey, not the destination. Or least that's what I'm telling myself so I would be so annoyed that I was spoiled like that! :mad::D

Top Bottom