• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Video editing software

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a video editing software? Something easy for beginners, but not too try (and free!) you know, good for making fan videos and such

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a video editing software? Something easy for beginners, but not too try (and free!) you know, good for making fan videos and such
What's your OS? Windows Live Movie Maker is very simple, free, and easy to use, but I think it's limited to Windows 7, though there are other versions for earlier iterations of Windows. I will say, though, that I've had it freeze up while making music vids. Do a lot of saving.

I also like Pinnacle Studio, which is pretty intuitive and easy to use, but it's not free.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
I have Windows Vista (kinda blah), and I don't really like Movie Maker very much. That's why I was looking for something else.

By the way, in Movie Maker, how do I import from the DVD driver?

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
By the way, in Movie Maker, how do I import from the DVD driver?
Movie Maker does not support that function, nor does Pinnacle Studio nor any video editing program I'm aware of (including Premiere Elements and Video Re-Do).

Until recently I thought only DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor would rip from the DVD (and those are very hard to find), but I recently found a program (not free) that will rip from DVD to iPod format. It's called, I think, DVD to iPad Converter, and it's by Aiseesoft.

I grab from DVD using a USB hardware digitizing device, or using a screen capture program (not free) called Audials.

How do other people digitize the DVD content?

ETA: I don't like the earlier versions of Movie Maker either. The one for Windows 7 is pretty good.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Movie Maker does not support that function, nor does Pinnacle Studio nor any video editing program I'm aware of (including Premiere Elements and Video Re-Do).

Until recently I thought only DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor would rip from the DVD (and those are very hard to find), but I recently found a program (not free) that will rip from DVD to iPod format. It's called, I think, DVD to iPad Converter, and it's by Aiseesoft.

I grab from DVD using a USB hardware digitizing device, or using a screen capture program (not free) called Audials.

How do other people digitize the DVD content?

ETA: I don't like the earlier versions of Movie Maker either. The one for Windows 7 is pretty good.
Thanks! It captures the videos, right? Not screen capturing like with pictures.

Last edited:

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
Audials . . . captures the videos, right? Not screen capturing like with pictures.
Yes - you draw a box around the content that you want to capture, as it streams on your screen, and Audials captures it to a wmv file. It does a GREAT job. It used to be called TuneBite and wasn't as good, but the latest version is really, really good.

It also removes proprietary coding from iTunes songs or movies.

Chosen Enemy
Chosen Enemy
Thanks!!

WileyDairyGnome

Strong like an Amazon
Sineya
I use VLC Media Player to rip my DVDs. You just press the record button and it'll record any part of the DVD that is playing. And it's free.

I also use Movie Maker to edit, but it freezes a lot. :/ I also have Sony Vegas Pro 10, but it lags a lot on my computer. But Vegas Pro is about $600, unless you um, ahem...
find the free full version like I did.

F
FetalPig
Wow - VLC tip karma

2NE1

Glory is Bored Now
Sony Vegas 7 or Sony Vegas 9 pro. These are really good editing programs which need a little practice at first.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Thanks, I'll try that too. I tried Audials and it took time for me to make it work, but it did in the end.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
A lot of it will depend on what quality you want the end result to be. Dependent on what part of what country you live in, I'd suggest visiting the many sites that help the independent filmmaker. Look for self help for makers of short films, any suggestions of software could be beneficial.

xfivebyfive

Because its Fate.
Black Thorn
I use Sony Vegs Pro 8.0 I love it. Its what I've used to make fanvideos for the past 3 years and in my opinion its the best program to use. It takes a little getting used to but once you do its very simple.

Marisa

Liver Alone
I use Sony Vegas 10. All the Sony Vegas versions are nice though. Also Final cut express I know some people who use it and love it.

nmcil12

Potential
I am just starting out trying to use my Vegas 9 - hope that if I get totally lost I might be able to ask for some help here. This is a move up from the Muvee software that I have been using to make my slide show films. Unlike most vidders, I really enjoy making slide show vids but I want to try more advanced process now.

Top Bottom