• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Villains /Monsters of the Week

DayDreamer27

Potential
Looking over the show, we had lots of villains (or monsters) of the week episodes. Honestly those are my favs. But of the one-off villains, who did you find the scariest? Who'd you find the creepiest? Which did you think was the corniest?

I am still moving around with the show. I loved seasons 1-3 but avoided a lot of later seasons due to changes made. So I skipped around on those episodes.

However, I decided to give season 4 an actual go, and I think Hush was a very creepy episodes with The Gentlemen as very unsettling villains. The idea of having your voice taken, and not even being able to yell while they cut your heart out while you're still alive. The little rhyme song "You'll die screaming, but ya won't be heard."

So for fellow fans, which villains of the week did you find chilling? And which did you just find lame?

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
The Gentlemen were great for a monster of the week. Does Sweet from OMWF count? I liked him too.

DayDreamer27

Potential
The Gentlemen were great for a monster of the week. Does Sweet from OMWF count? I liked him too.
Any monster of the week counts. Whoever ya loved, share all thoughts. Monsters of the week get a bad rep, but if done right, they can be great!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Offhand, Hush was the scariest, but the Gnarl was the creepiest (for all the grief I give s7, I think that episode was gold, and season 7 also has one of my favorite vampire scenes where they erupt around Buffy while she's in a cellar with Spike).

As for corniest...well I don't think Rack counts since he shows up in more than one ep, so I'll go with Dracula, and yes, I'm remembering all the hokey monsters from seasons 1 and 2. This is not to be confused with cheestastic (so bad it's good) such as The Dark Age (speaking of which, Ethan Rayne is the coolest villain I can think of offhand, with even more appeal if not mileage value than season 2 Spike, which is a high bar for me).

Special shout out to Witch and The Puppet Show, but I'm not sure where to put them...I don't think either is cheestastic (so bad it's good, and I found both intriguing and well written so I can't call them bad), and yet it's season 1, just a bit too much goofiness in the effects and dialog if nothing else which is corny, but I just can't call them that either. Those 2 contributed greatly to my becoming hooked on the show.

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh Ford, I love Lie to Me and Ford is more the villain in it that Spike and Dru are, he's the one that sets it all up afterall .

Black Thorn
The gentlemen (obviously very creepy).
That thing that kills kids in killed by death.
I thought Ted was actually quite creepy because of the way he acted so nice to everyone but would then threaten Buffy.
Gnarl was the worst for me because of his looks and a voice and the way he just calmly sat there while eating willows skin.

There are also others that I loved that weren’t scary, like Sweet and I love the loan shark.

nightshade
nightshade
Yes I forgot about Der Kinderstood

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
There is also the Queller that is creepy in Listening to fear.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Billy's "Kiddie League" Coach. Like a bad stereotype from a 80s movie, but not about baseball, but a bad wrestling gimmick. Same goes for the swim coach. "BOYS ain't human, but they clearly need to rape one." I don't even care if they get their comeuppance.

Tank1978

Townie
Scariest for me were

The gentlemen
Gnarl
Queller demon

Weakest ones
Molloch from I robot you Jane
Miss French - just cos it looked so bad
The demon in doublemeat palace

Funniest
Fiyarl demon (No idea how it's spelt but demon giles)
The fear demon in fear itself
The troll

Sweet is the coolest for me

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Der Kinderstod was a classic with grappling hooks coming out of his eyes in "Killed by Death" and it was more poignant because he had killed Buffy's cousin Celia.

The family in "Some Assembly Required".

Ampata in "Inca Mummy Girl".

Ted in "Ted" has some of the same properties as the Gentlemen in "Hush" because all attempts at communicating failed.

Top Bottom