• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Vote: Favorite Redemption Arc

Which character has your favorite and/or the best redemption arc and why?

• Angel - from murdering thousands of people as Angelus to saving people as Angel...

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Darla - from murdering thousands of people to sacrificing herself to save/birth Connor

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Spike - from murdering thousands of people to purposely getting his soul & fight evil

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Anya- from murdering/cursing thousands of men to choosing to fight evil to the death

• Willow - from murdering Warren,trying to murder Jonathan & Andrew to not being evil/to a white witch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew- from being evil, working in the Trio with Warren & Jonathan to not being evil/almost Scooby

• Harmony - from being evil in high school to being evil vampire to trying to be a good assistant...

• Cordelia - from being evil in high school to being a Scooby & working Angel Investigations...

• Faith - from being reckless to accidental murderer to rogue slayer to prisoner & reformed slayer

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I'm no Spuffy, but I kinda like Spike realizing he isn't so much a pitiful excuse for a human being as not actually a human being, and going off and trying to do something about it. Like a bar bet gone horribly wrong.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Faith, hands down, mostly because we get to see her entire journey. We see her arrive in Sunnydale, with a chip on her shoulder for sure, but still ready to do good. We get to see her descent into evil, as she feels rejected by Buffy and the Scoobies, committing an accidental murder, finding family with the Mayor, choosing the path of darkness and committing evil on his behalf. We see her lose her family and descend into self-loathing and violence until Angel helps her to see the error of her ways. We see her express genuine regret and remorse and willingly turn herself over to the authorities, remaining in jail even though she could easily escape.

We see her break out only when she discovers that Angel is in danger, deciding to help the one person who never gave up on her. We see her realise that she can never stop paying for her evil and that true redemption is the constant fight to be better and make the world a better place. And then we see her rejoin the Good Fight, taking the resentment and distrust she earned in stride and determining to still do better and earn her place in the world. It's one of the most wonderful redemption arcs I've ever seen play out onscreen.

burrunjor
burrunjor
So true, brilliant post.

Priceless

Scooby
I love so many of these redemption arcs. They are all so well written and grow organically out of the character, it's hard to choose the best because they all bring something different. The one I enjoyed watching the most was Spike's journey from evil vampire to hero who saves the world.

I would argue that Cordy wasn't technically evil in high school 😁

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I went with Spike, too, but I almost voted for Faith for the exact reasons that Rach mentioned, I just slightly prefer Spike's journey - plus, we see more of it, imo.

K
katmobile
It was pretty close for me and I'll admit a personal choice. I love both characters although I do think Faith abuse of Xander swept under the rug.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I picked Faith and what I really like about her arc is the commitment to it by the writers I can't really fault a single plot line that they gave Faith it all made sense and it never overstepped its bounds.
Faith genuinely goes through a redemption arc when comparing to some of the others where it was pretty much a switch with a little build up. I also like that with Faith it's as much about her development as a person which compliments her redemption storyline really well so that by Chosen you feel you really understand how much Faith's changed because although we as viewers can't really grasp what it meant for Faith to have done what she did we have an invitation to understand the weight of it because we can 'get' the obvious evolution of Faith's personality.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Anya's.

It is easily the longest arc bar Angel's, and so it gets to be the most complex. I also like that it isn't framed as a traditional redemption story, because while redemption stories can be fun, it is a pretty worn out and often predictable trope. I've never seen an Anya in any other show.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
It looks like people are just going to vote for Faith and Spike and not the others.
1) Angel, Anya, and Cordelia have been voted on, as well.
2) I thought that was the whole point of the poll, to find out who would get the most votes?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I almost voted Angel, but season 5 of Angel disqualified him for me, and so it went to Faith.

I'd think about it harder if it was who asked in an objective way which was better, but in a PERSONAL, subjective way, I found Faith's redemption the most compelling as so much was shown, and unlike some others on the list, she showed genuine remorse for all her misdeeds (as opposed to misdeeds to a single person or something like that), and was even one of the few who didn't bring up what others got away with despite how much grief she was getting in Buffy season 7.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Well, I was the one and only person to vote for Angel.

I guess having a non-linear redemption story that began before the shows start and by far the most-extensive and challenging atonement arc takes a character out of the running.

Even I didn't realize his arc was this underrated.

Puppet
Puppet
Or maybe it's because not everyone looks at his arc as being that perfect and interesting.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Well, I was the one and only person to vote for Angel.

I guess having a non-linear redemption story that began before the shows start and by far the most-extensive and challenging atonement arc takes a character out of the running.

Even I didn't realize his arc was this underrated.
Angel had one of the biggest redemption arcs on the show, so that was why it was hard for me to pick between him and Faith, but I ultimately picked Faith. The reason is because it was more compelling to me and I respect it as much as I do Angel's since it was much deserved as his. I don't understand the voting for Spike or if someone would pick Willow's or Harmony's.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Why? Was it because he had to take the job at Wolfram&Hart so his offspring could have a normal life?
Simple answer: betrayal of friends with memory wipes and deceit, his self-indulgent competition against Spike, especially (but not limited to) over Buffy. Other stuff, too.

Please don't take it personally, I didn't say he was evil, and I said it was how it affected me, who has had different life experiences from you and thus react differently. He's still my second pick.

Top Bottom