• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wanted: Gimp Text Tutorial

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Can someone do a basic text tutorial for me, things like outlining text, shadowing, mirroring etc, I never know what to do with text and getting a better understanding of all the different things might help me use it more.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm not entirely sure how to do a tutorial, but I'm sure someone else, like Taake, will know :)

nightshade
nightshade
It's a walk through of what you do, with screenshots

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶

Hope those help. :)

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I have loads of fonts and can do the basics, it's the fancy stuff I don't know.

@Puppet thanks, it's just making text look less flat and 2D, if that makes sense

Last edited:
Puppet
Puppet
Let me give this tutorial business a try

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Alright, here we go. Here's how I do my usual texting on banners (I might do another one later for a different kind of effect for texting that I use less often).

We start by getting our banner ready, of course.

We go to text, write what we want it to say and pick the font we want

From now on I've made the image bigger so you can see better. I personally like to use different fonts for the words to create an importance in the sentence

When you've got the fonts how you want them and the size you want them, it's time to layer them to fit the bg image

One of my favorite GIMP effects is called Glowing Hot and here is where you find it

What this does is leave your text with an orange glow (we can change the color later) and you can choose how big that outline/glow should be. For simple text I stick to somewhere between 1-5, all depending on what you want. You can play around with it

And here's what it looks like

Delete the BG layer and now you have 2 layers with the same text; I sometimes erase the 'I'm so' layer', leaving just the Glow layer behind, but not always, so for this tutorial I've left them both around. Which is why we now merge I'm so down into Glow layer

We do the same exact thing with the emo layer. Then, we go into colors to change the color of the glow

Again, you can play around with the colors, see what you like best

Again, we do the same for the emo layer, and again, I like to use different yet similar shades, in this case I've used yellow and orange

Now we add a drop shadow onto it. There are other shadow versions, but I prefer this one for text

And again, you can play around with the settings, mine differ wildly depending on each banner

I love tons of shadow, so I usually duplicate it times 3 (using Shift F) but again that's something you can play around with

When you have the shadow you want, merge the layers, but be careful not to merge the two text layers together or an I'm so shadow on top of the emo layer. Then, you can play around with the words themselves and their placement

Once they are where you want them, that's it. Your text is done and adds a little something extra to your banner!

Does anyone else feel like Vanna White when making these? :p

nightshade
nightshade
Brilliant, thank you
Taake
Taake
Ooh, I’m learning! Now I want to art
Top Bottom