1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Angel Investigations taking over Wolfram & Hart planned since day one?

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Joshua, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

Does anybody know if Joss Whedon had plans for Angel Investigations to take over Wolfram & Hart since day one?

It was always mentioned how Angel was a major player in the Apocalypse since season 2. But was Angel taking over Wolfram & Hart always the plan?

2. HisMrs

HisMrs The Walking BED

Sineya
    I think it's very possible that it was Joss' plan all along, since W&H were "the big bad" since Season 1. I mean, we were already introduced to W&H in the very first episode of the show, and it was obvious they were going to be a problem for Angel.

3. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I didn't actually start watching until Season 5, but after going back and watching the rest of the show on disc, it seemed sort of odd that Joss would do it that way. It would be almost like Joe Biden being handed Presidency of the National Rifle Association. A total "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" moment. But it did seem to work out okay, except for what seemed to me to be a rather rushed and contrived last few episodes.

I think that it would have worked better if there had been a Season 6, with "Not Fade Away" about a third of the way through it, and the "After The Fall" arc finishing out the year. The final scene of the last episode would be Angel, Spike, and whatever was left of the gang coming back to the old Hyperion Hotel, dropping their weapons, and slumping down in the lobby.

A voice comes from Angel's old office, "I'm gone for just a few months, and everything goes to hell. Literally."

The office door swings open. "Cordy!" Angel just about chokes in surprise.

Before anyone can react any further, the front foors are kicked completely off their hinges.

"Where in the HELL do you get off, triggering an apocalypse without telling me?"

"Buffy!" Spike, Angel, and even Cordy gasp in astonishment.

"Yes, Buffy," the Slayer stalks into the room. "And I've come for what's mine. " She glares. "Now, get your boney vampire ass over here. You're coming with me."

Fade to black without ever revealing which boney ass she was referring to.

Now, if you've just GOT to end the series with a cliffhanger, that's the way to do it.

Blaze: that's epic!
  4. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Anyone who has ever been part of a heirarchy (or outside of one) has always been cautioned to "change things from inside the system, not by going against the system" and of course, we all know what a load of cr@p that is. Heirarchies exist for the edification of the top man in the heirarchy. Period.

Angel Investigations proves that you cannot take over anything that is corrupt without being corrupted by it. But if you pull the whole system down, even if it is on yourself, you can make a change - but you might not be there to enjoy it. This is like the Biblical account of Samson pulling the Temple of Dagon down as his final act, killing about 3000 Philistines, but also himself.

Wolfram & Hart is one of the best organizations of villainy in all of literature - a Satanic legal firm with connections in all dimensions.

5. crazysoulless

crazysoulless Scooby

I do love the symmetry of the Watchers Council and Wolfram & Hart being targeted by the Big Bad (First Evil, Jasmine), hunted and killed by the BB's big hitter (Caleb, The Beast), and then Buffy & Angel taking over as Head/CEO.

6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    No, because Whedon didn't become the showrunner until S4. It's unlikely that Greenwalt would have had Angel take over WR&H.

Bluebird likes this.