• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was ASH`s acting true to the character of Giles ?

flow

Scooby
Giles is one of the most liked characters in the Buffyverse and he is definitely one of my favorite characters.

But when you look at his character apart from ASH´s acting, he is actually a very grey character right from the beginning. There is his involvement in dark Magic in his early twenties, the part he Plays in the cruciamentum, the killing of Ben, suggesting to Buffy, that killing Dawn could be a good idea, leaving Sunnydale, when Dawn needed him after Buffys death, leaving Sunnydale again, when Buffy needed him most after her resurrection, closing his eyes on Willows spiraling into darkness, almost ignoring Xander completely and not showing up for his wedding, and conspiring with Robin to kill Spike.

Those actions are much more true for a character like Quentin Travers. They don´t feel true for the good at heart librarian with that cute british accent, we have all come to love.

Do you think, that the character of Giles was supposed to be much less likeable and ASH "messed that up", by making us love that character much more than he would have deserved if he would have been judged only on his actions ?

Would that explain Giles actions in S7 ? Could it be, that everything Giles did in S7 was well within his character and it just didn`t feel like it, because ASH had made us like this character more than he actually deserved it ?

flow

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!

Well, you know, that is the thing with charming actors ;)

I have always harboured a strong apathy towards Giles - his holier than thou attitude, his blatant hypocrisy, his disinterest in anyone except Buffy, his selfishness... list be long.

I don't think this is in any way ASH's fault. Giles is supposed to be charming and likeable. That is why everyone likes him so much and Willow has his picture in her locker.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I think ASH played the character just right. Giles does have a lot of darkness underneath the surface, but I think ASH put just enough of a hint of that in the character, even in the earlier season. The character wouldn't have worked if the acting was too obvious (think Wesley in s4). Giles, even if he wasn't so black and white, was still meant as the father figure so he still had to be presented as the good natured and mature watcher of the group.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I don't think ASH played him too likable, I think he showed enough glimpses in the earlier seasons of how much development he had so that any direction his character took, good or bad, would make sense.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think we are seeing Giles in the show as someone who is seeking a bit of redemption, where he spent a lot of time in his youth doing things he regrets, and is making up for much of those actions through his fight with Buffy. I think the charm that we see from him is genuine, as are some of the darker moments in his story. In general, though, I think he is meant to be likable and a father figure to Buffy, even if he never reached the same relationships with the other members of the group (although he and Willow were pretty close, as well).

A lot of Giles' actions make sense to me in the context of his character, too. While watching the scenes unfold in Helpless were hard, he was at that time torn between his building relationship with Buffy and his duties to the watchers council to perform the cruciamentum. In that episode we see Giles choose Buffy, and from there his actions (killing Ben, leaving Sunnydale, plotting to kill Spike, etc.) are what he believes to be in Buffy's best interest, whether we as the audience agree or not. I don't always agree with his decisions, but I don't think he is less likable because of them.

Top Bottom