• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Cordelia part of the Scooby Gang?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
In Buffy, Cordelia helped out on occasion, attended meetings but was she really apart of the Scooby Gang?

telperion66

Potential
Not really. She was a gang affiliate, like Oz and Tara.
Oh, come on man, Oz and Tara were part of the scoobies during their tenure, don't you reckon?

I may care for the original season one scoobies the most (Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles) but credit where credit's due and all that.

As for Cordy, she was *definitely* a scoobie in my opinion while she was Xander's girlfriend.

Black Thorn
No, she didn't even like them while she was Xander's girlfriend. The rest of the scoobies have a bond with each other.
Tara, to me, only became a scooby in season 6 where her relationship with Willow ended but she was still involved and a friend to Buffy.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
She was on the bubble for the most part. There was probably a short time when the Scoobies would have claimed her as one of them but for the most part I don't think she was actually "one of them".

Spanky
Spanky
If she had stayed post S3 I would consider her one- especially if (only if) she didn't date Xander or Giles.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
She was one of Buffy's secret keepers, she was a primary assistant on her cases, and she hung out with the group socially. So yes, from what's my line to Lover's walk, she was one of Buffy's attendents.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
In Buffy, Cordelia helped out on occasion, attended meetings but was she really apart of the Scooby Gang?
Yes. She wasn't in the core 4 (as original members) but she, Tara, Oz, Spike and Anya became honorary scoobies who actually earned their spot on the team. Unlike Kennedy who decided she was entitled to attend Scooby meetings just because she was dating Willow.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I've never really consider her being part of the scooby gang.
But during my recent re-watch I remember being very surprised how much involved she actually is.
So I can't say it's that wrong to say she is. But I do find it "easier" to just call the original gang the scoobies.

/SK

Cordy gets a no from me. I think Oz was an honorary Scoobie, but he's the only one.

Absolutely never, would Spike be considered as anything Scoobish.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Cordy gets a no from me. I think Oz was an honorary Scoobie, but he's the only one.
Cordelia was way more of a scooby than Oz was. He was barely a character if you take away the werewolf stuff.

Absolutely never, would Spike be considered as anything Scoobish.
He was on Team Scooby, albeit on the fringes from Season 5 onwards. He might not be in the inner circle but he does enough to warrant a membership card.

Cordelia was way more of a scooby than Oz was. He was barely a character if you take away the werewolf stuff.
Cordelia was barely a character if you take away her bitch. You can pretty much say the stuff about everyone.

He was on Team Scooby, albeit on the fringes from Season 5 onwards. He might not be in the inner circle but he does enough to warrant a membership card.
He was never on team scoobie. Spike was a leach. Angel would qualify for membership before Spike, and i wouldn't give it to him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Cordelia was barely a character if you take away her bitch. You can pretty much say the stuff about everyone.
What exactly was Oz's contribution to the plot other than to be Willow's boyfriend?

He was never on team scoobie. Spike was a leach. Angel would qualify for membership before Spike, and i wouldn't give it to him.
Spike fights alongside the scoobies on a regular basis thus giving him membership even though he's not very popular with the rest of the team. He was also included in the "we're family" shot at the end of Family which Riley wasn't. If anything, Riley is the odd one out.

white avenger

white avenger
For me, the Scooby gang consisted of Willow, Xander, Giles, and whoever served as the other partner in whatever romantic relationship was active and actually involved in the business of demon fighting at any particular time. That includes Oz, Cordy, Jenny, Riley, Anya, and Tara when they were with the core characters. Parker, of course, was never a member, and I'm not so sure that either Faith, Angeil or Spike would qualify, since they all pretty much filled the role of resident outsider when they were around.

So, yeah, Cordy was a member of the gang for at least a couple of Seasons.

Last edited:
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Great answer. I totally agree.
What exactly was Oz's contribution to the plot other than to be Willow's boyfriend?
What exactly was Cordelia's contribution to the plot other than to throw out snide comments at ridiculous times?

Spike fights alongside the scoobies on a regular basis thus giving him membership even though he's not very popular with the rest of the team. He was also included in the "we're family" shot at the end of Family which Riley wasn't. If anything, Riley is the odd one out.
Angel fought alongside the Scoobies on a regular basis and wasn't very popular with the rest of the team but you don't consider him to be a member.
There are a lot of scenes Spikes in because of shitty writing, it doesn't make him a Scooby. You can throw shade at Riley all you like, i don't care.

spikenbuffy

"You have superpowers,that's so cool,can you fly?"
Was Dawn part of the scooby good for you all ?

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I think that be a Scooby, you need to both help with Scooby work and you need to interact with the entire group. Cordelia works with the group quite a lot, and she hangs out with the entire group. But she does fluctuate a bit, such as after her break up with Xander.

Angel and Spike are also members some of the time. In S3, I don't consider Angel a Scooby between "Fatih, Hope and Trick" and "Helpless," because even though he helps out, he is on bad terms with the group and mostly just interacts with Buffy. That changes in "The Zeppo." Spike works very closely with the group from "Spiral" to "Bargaining," though most of that is off screen. Other than that, he mostly just works with Buffy.

Tara is not a member in S4, because even though she does help out a bit, she mostly just interacts with Willow, and even if she meets the group, she doesn't start integrating into it until S5.

Riley is also a clear member in S5. In S4, he only work with the Scoobies some of the time.

Oz becomes a member almost immediately and remains one until he leaves.

Anya becomes a member in S4. She falls out with the group at the end of S6, but then comes back into the fold.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
What exactly was Cordelia's contribution to the plot other than to throw out snide comments at ridiculous times?
BB&B happened because she dumped Xander and he wanted revenge but got more than he bargained for. The Wish happened because Cordelia was heartbroken over Xander and Willow cheating and made a wish that Buffy had never come to Sunnydale which created an alternate universe where the Master had won because Buffy wasn't there to stop him.

Cordelia's contribution to the plot is that it affects the other characters. If you were to take Cordelia out, some aspects of the plot would have to change or it would feel like there was something missing. Cordelia let bug man into the house which is what provoked the start of the Xander/Cordelia relationship which eventually ends in Lovers Walk.

For Oz, with the exception of the werewolf episodes (obviously), you could take him out of episodes completely without needing to change the plot. After he leaves in Season 4, it's doesn't feel like there an important part of the group dynamic missing, unlike with Giles in Season 6. Seth Green has even said Oz works better in a recurring capacity. Cordelia worked as a regular on both shows. Because Cordelia was going over to Angel, the writers brought in Spike to fill her role, then when that didn't quite work out because of logistical issues, they used Anya instead. Nobody was brought in to fill Oz's role because it wasn't necessary.

Wild at Heart is the only episode where Oz is integral and his actions affect the other characters eg Willow is depressed for a few episodes which leads to Something Blue.

Angel fought alongside the Scoobies on a regular basis and wasn't very popular with the rest of the team but you don't consider him to be a member.
Never said he wasn't. He and Spike are both on team scooby.

There are a lot of scenes Spikes in because of shitty writing, it doesn't make him a Scooby. You can throw shade at Riley all you like, i don't care.
You sound tense, what's your issue?

Riley never felt like part of the team in the way that Anya, Tara, Spike, Cordelia and even Oz to an extent did, despite him dating Buffy. This could be because he was very much with the initiative in Season 4 then in Season 5 it's like he couldn't cope with Buffy leading the group.

Top Bottom