• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Cordelia part of the Scooby Gang?

BB&B happened because she dumped Xander and he wanted revenge but got more than he bargained for. The Wish happened because Cordelia was heartbroken over Xander and Willow cheating and made a wish that Buffy had never come to Sunnydale which created an alternate universe where the Master had won because Buffy wasn't there to stop him.
BB&B was Xander's episode. He could have been dumped by any female on the planet and BB&B would still work the same.
Cordy makes The Wish because they needed someone who had no problem in hurting the Scoobies, to do it. I mean, Cordy, Snider, Mrs Rosenberg.. there could be a line around the block of people ready to wish Buffy never came to Sunnydale. The episode would still work. Cordy did it because why not give her something to do.

For Oz, with the exception of the werewolf episodes (obviously), you could take him out of episodes completely without needing to change the plot. After he leaves in Season 4, it's doesn't feel like there an important part of the group dynamic missing, unlike with Giles in Season 6. Seth Green has even said Oz works better in a recurring capacity. Cordelia worked as a regular on both shows. Because Cordelia was going over to Angel, the writers brought in Spike to fill her role, then when that didn't quite work out because of logistical issues, they used Anya instead. Nobody was brought in to fill Oz's role because it wasn't necessary.

Wild at Heart is the only episode where Oz is integral and his actions affect the other characters eg Willow is depressed for a few episodes which leads to Something Blue.
Cordy outgrew her welcome on both shows. Oz fit no matter what was going on.
Never said he wasn't. He and Spike are both on team scooby.
When you go to the trouble of listing the other characters and not Angel, it can only be assumed.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
BB&B was Xander's episode. He could have been dumped by any female on the planet and BB&B would still work the same.
Except to do that you would have to get a completely new character to fill Cordelia's role. You don't need to do that with Oz, you can put him in or take him out of an episode and it doesn't change anything.

Cordy makes The Wish because they needed someone who had no problem in hurting the Scoobies, to do it. I mean, Cordy, Snider, Mrs Rosenberg.. there could be a line around the block of people ready to wish Buffy never came to Sunnydale. The episode would still work. Cordy did it because why not give her something to do.
I wouldn't say Cordy "had no problem hurting the scoobies", she is visibly shocked when Wishverse Harmony says that Willow and Xander are dead. The only reason Buffy gets dragged into things is that she made Xander "marginally cooler by hanging with him." Cordy is still upset over Xander cheating on her with Willow, especially as she sacrificed her social status to be with him.

Cordy outgrew her welcome on both shows. Oz fit no matter what was going on.
Cordy wouldn't have worked post-Season 3 on Buffy because she wouldn't be forced to interact with the other scoobies via high school. On Angel, they character assassinated her so by the end she wasn't recognisable as real Cordy.

Oz was just there. He didn't do much so he didn't annoy people.

When you go to the trouble of listing the other characters and not Angel, it can only be assumed.
That was oversight on my part.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Cordelia helped in research she wasn't obligated to. She drove a crying Buffy home from the library at night without question (even dropping her idiot persona for a second, just one of the reasons I think a lot--though far from all--her bitchiness and vapidity was an act). She helped Xander kill Bug Guy when she didn't have to, and also distracted a security guard for Xander in Killed By Death. She helped Giles make the potion to stop the demon in Gingerbread (no matter how gross it was). She fought Mayor Snake's minions, dusting at least one vamp (and though much of the school was involved in that I'm going to give it to her, especially as she was talking with Buffy and the Core Four after it unlike the rest of the school).

And my favorite...when she bluffed Gorch. Buffy was utterly exhausted, probably not up for another fight, and Cordelia gets right into Gorch's face pretending to be Faith to drive him off. Most people would've fled, leaving Buffy to her fate (especially an alpha bitch who perceived Buffy as a rival for something she wanted), but she did not, could not.

Hell yeah she was a Scoobie. She wasn't one of the Core Four but she was far more than just the one throwing around bitchy lines, and she helped them fight evil despite that it brought her nothing personally yet risked much.

I'm not even counting unexpected kindness (no Alpha Bitch would allow Willow out of the cage who kissed her boyfriend) or when she sought out their help for her own selfish (but not evil) reasons (like fleeing invisible girls or costumed kids who became their costumes), or otherwise was the damsel needing to be rescued, nor when she helped in ways unrelated to Scooby activities (like when she went out of her way to give Buffy some rude but needed advice in When She Was Bad, despite knowing what Buffy could do to her if she was really unstable).

Mr Trick

Scooby
I considered Cordelia part of the gang in seasons 2 and 3.
I'd agree with this. And you start seeing small signs of it at the end of S1. By early S2 it would be common for her to help them prepare for a case or mission (even if sometimes she didn't want to).

Its worth remembering too that Cordy and Willow became good friends over time. She had respect for Buffy even if they were never quite friends.

Top Bottom