• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Cordelia's backstory sufficiently developed?

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I wish we would have had more for Willow as well. But I think that Gingerbread was very insightful. Her mother clearly ignored her and reduced her problems to academic arguments rather than connecting emotionally with her. I wish we would have seen more about her dad.
Willow talks about her parents a few times. Those little moments add a lot of information and you can guess even more from it. It is sorta the same for Cordelia. There are loads of little hints, so you get to fill in the blanks. I always want more, but it could be fun to play detective and collect all the little hints and theorise about them.

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
I think they explored her backstory enough but they could've easily explored it more if they chose to. It would've been great to meet her parents. They were at one time rich so they could've easily played a bit of a central role in say like The Mayor and help fundraising or donating money towards his campaign.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I've never missed her backstory either.
She had a normal childhood after all, not much to tell.

Adding stuff later just to have some stories to tell would probably just mess with continuity anyway.
(Like Normal Again on Buffy... :))

/SK

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I've never missed her backstory either.
She had a normal childhood after all, not much to tell.

Adding stuff later just to have some stories to tell would probably just mess with continuity anyway.
(Like Normal Again on Buffy... :))

/SK
Exactly. Her backstory doesn't matter.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
What we once were informs all that we have become - Darla said once to Angel. In terms of Cordy it's more like - backstory? What backstory?
The whole - she was rich and that's what there was to her, she was Buffy's shadow self, only really works for season 1 or the movie, after that... nah, not good enough for me
I dunno, how much did we know about Willow's backstory? Or Anya's family life? Or Giles? We find out about Giles a bit in the comics and we met Willow's Mom precisely once, that's....not a lot of detail.
We got enough about Willow by who she is and how she reacts to stuff, the occasional anecdote and that's it. We got a bit more with Xander but less with others.

Cordelia didn't really need that imo- we got what we got because she's a character who got deeper as the show went on, events effected her and she- in theory- became more interesting as her moral core developed; the visions, her friendship with Angel, letting go of her dreams of becoming an actress, etc.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Honestly I would not be interested in a detailed Cordelia backstory because she only became interesting after she left all that behind. It could have been fun to meet her parents but other than that I don't find it necessary to further her story.

and then There's another thing that adds to Cordelia's character development -- Xander finding out about Cordelia's financial situation (broke, no longer has a home, her dad cheating on his taxes), in which he learns about it and sacrifices his road trip money to finish paying off the prom dress for the now-penniless Cordelia (Angel also won her back with clothes as well).

Last edited:

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
It just occurred to me that Cordelia and Willow probably suffered very similar kinds of neglect. Unlike Xander, they both come from affluent middle class homes. We can assume that Cordelia was pushed towards academic (and athletic) success, just like Willow. Cordelia does not appear to be at all close to her parents, again, just like Willow. The main difference is that Willow's parents are intellectual liberals, while Cordelia's parents are probably libertarians, and since her dad is jailed for tax fraud, he is probably a businessman.

The AtS writers seemed to loose interest in Cordelia as an independent character with her own story and background, especially after Fred appeared. I would have loved to see Cordelia interact with her parents or see her return to Sunnydale. A greater focus on Cordelia's story would likely have made her more sympathetic in the eyes of the viewers who often dismiss her.

Top Bottom