1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Was Fred reason why Cordelia slowly faded from group?.

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Benz, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Benz

Benz Potential

I notched after rewatch that Cordelia seem to start fade form group after Fred arrive.

thoughts?.

2. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Well, technically yes, but it wasn't because of Fred that that happened. There were other factors in play that pushed Cordelia out of the show.

Smile Time likes this.
  3. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    It just worked out that way, like Athena said, it wasn't really because of Fred, it was just the timing.

Charisma left for part of s3, presumably due to her miscarriage and then had to be hidden away until they could reveal the Jasmine pregnancy in season 4. Plus it sounds as if by season 4, Joss and Charisma didn't really want to be working together anymore.

4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Agreed. Its only really a few episodes in S3 she misses. Ideally they would want at least two female characters in the main cast so can't see how it would have anything to do with Fred.

5. Benz

Benz Potential

Not saying it was Fred fault but it just to happed once Fred clam down form being how she was when come back to earth.

Also by no means blaming Fred as I propley be even more crazy had be in place like that for five years.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yes but there's no connection at all for me. As others have pointed out you had CC personally issues off set and falling out with Joss. And there is no reason why you can't have two female core cast members at the same time.

7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    There's no connection because Fred doesn't usurp Cordelia's function in the group.
    Cordelia was never just 'the token girl', she had a role to play as part of the group; as vision girl and someone who isn't afraid to speak her mind no matter what.

8. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

I remember reading back in the day that Fred was the intended long term replacement for Cordy, as Charisma Carpenter was in her thirties, had been doing the show for five years, and was trying to have kids, and would take a reduced role at some point in the future. The shows cast also grew from three characters to six characters by the start of season 3, so dividing an episode six ways was going to see a reduction in her role.

Mr Trick likes this.
  9. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    Only because Fred was so much better.

crazysoulless likes this.
  10. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Cordy's screen time would normally be reduced as the number of regulars on the show increased. It was a limited pie, so to speak, and increasing the number of people being served decreased the size of the individual portions. Even Angel's screen time diminished from Season 1 to Season 4.

11. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well that's debatable. I'm a big Fred fan, but have come across a couple of people who are not so high on her. I don't see a reason why her and Cordy could not have worked together on the same show. I mean there doesn't seem to be a issue with having as many as three male core cast members.

Fool for Buffy: Of course it's debatable, but I really think she is significantly better than Cordy